• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The heavier my load....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAHUNTER60

40 Cal
Reaction score
The more my new Kibler Colonial .54 likes it! This is a five shot group at 75 yards with 100 grains of FFg, .530 ball, .018 patch lubed with TOTW mink oil. I got the POI up by using what I call a "heavy" sight picture (where I let the front sight completely cover the target).

1619566888515.png

I think this will be my hunting load.

Next session, I'll work her out to 100 yards, which is my maximum ML range.

Before you keep going higher in the grains perhaps switch the ball and patch combo? 100 grains seems like an incredibly hungry load for a .54. Might be more economical to find another path in the long run.

Mine started to really tighten up at 95 grains and I’ve settled on 105 grains for my hunting load and it chronos at 1750fps a yard from the muzzle. I was slapping the 1x1’ steel plates at 135 yards this past Saturday, and I was 3 for 5 on a silhouette at 200 yards. Although, I set a limit of about 80 yards as a max distance for hunting purposes.

-Jake

What is the twist on your barrel?
What is the twist on your barrel?

It's a 43.5" Green Mountain barrel with 1-66", square bottom, rifling.

I don't consider 100 grains to be a particularly heavy load (for hunting), as this is what I have used in my percussion guns for years. Yes, it's heavy for a match load, but match shooting is something I only do recreationally to fellowship with other black powder shooters. I'll work on finding a good match load later since hunting big game is job one for this gun.

It's a 43.5" Green Mountain barrel with 1-66", square bottom, rifling.

I don't consider 100 grains to be a particularly heavy load (for hunting), as this is what I have used in my percussion guns for years. Yes, it's heavy for a match load, but match shooting is something I only do recreationally to fellowship with other black powder shooters. I'll work on finding a good match load later since hunting big game is job one for this gun.
Well, it appears the twist on your barrel likes a bit more powder...

I have a Kibler Colonial in 54. Green Mountain barrel 43.25” custom profiled barrel, 1/70 twist, square bottom rifling. I started with .530 ball, 75 grains 2f and .018 patch. I then tested .535 ball, 75 grains 2f and .018 patch. I might be crazy but both of these loads seem to like 90 grains of 2f the best. Still testing loads at this time.

Back