• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The Hawken Shop flintlocks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one recently. This is the same lock that Ron Long used to make in the 1970's. The Hawken Shop has Long's original molds.

R. E. Davis makes a similar lock. The external parts look to me to be the same, but the internals will not exchange between the Hawken Shop and the Davis lock.

R. E. Davis bought what they thought was Ron Long's lock, triggers, and breech plug business from a Tim Houseweart, but Tim had previously sold the flintlock molds to Tom Faux. Davis asked Ron Long to make another set of molds for a flintlock, which Ron did. Tom Faux eventually sold his lock molds to the Hawken Shop.

The quality of the Hawken Shop flintlock is good. The frizzen spring that Ron Long designed is small, but seems to work ok.

I have two of them and have used them for about 4 years. Killed 7 turkeys with my 12 gauge with one of those locks, and also have one on a .40 cal. Longrifle.

These are very fast locks and function like they should. They can be a little picky about flint size and position, but spark well.

Latest posts

Back