• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The guns that never were - .44 Cal 1851 Navies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been thinking about getting one myself. I'm also a nut for cartridge conversions and this one might fall victim to that as well. The .44cal 1851's accept 1860 conversion cylinders and can use the 1851 ejector.

ebiggs said:
Why would Colt or anyone want to make a 44 cal on the 1851 frame? Besides the cylinder needing to be larger, it seems like a poor idea.
The only difference is the bore size and the frame/cylinder are stepped like the 1860. In the hand, the .44 will probably feel a tad lighter. The only difference that affects handling between the `51 and the `60 is the longer "Army" grip frame of the 1860. Which I prefer anyway.

To my way of thinking the Army grip is a little more at a right angle- but that's just me.
Grip is a funny thing: handgun Legend Elmer Keith had big strong hands but very thick fingers and a smaller grip actually fit him better. You can then get the chap with long piano player- thin fingers that needs a big oversized grip; so, each shooter is unique. If you are automatically selecting a big grip just because you are a big guy- try different sizes- might be a surprise.
That Navy Scene- my memory isn't great but wasn't that the Texas Navy when they were a Republic?

navysquirrel.jpg

I always felt the 1851 in .36 caliber was the bomb.

The scene is the Second Texas Navy at the Battle of Campeche on May 16, 1843. The Texas Navy had purchased the Paterson. The naval battle scene engraved on the cylinder of the Colt 1851 Navy was Colt's gratitude and to make copying the revolver more difficult for the imitators. Despite the "Navy" designation, the revolver was mainly bought by civilians and the Army. :hmm:

Any change in a revolver's weight or length of barrel or style of grip, anything, etc, affects the balance. The 1851 needs to remain a 36 cal. :grin:

Dan, be careful where u put your pistol down -- there's a bodacious and audacious grey squirrel diving into the tree he lives in that u posed it on!

As for the .44 1851 Navy, I had to laugh twice when I bought a 12" barreled one within the past year (too low to pass up on). A BIG reseller today is indicating the regular-barreled model was a "civillian" version.

cynthialee said:
I've had a couple of .36 over the years and I strongly prefer the .44

I am not choosing the caliber here. Just the revolver. I too prefer 44 cal but never-the-less the 1851 Colt Navy in 36 cal is the best feeling and balanced revolver of all the Civil War era guns. Maybe the best ever! The only one I believe that can challenge its top place is the 08 German Luger. But that is for another forum. :grin:

Colt's company must have agreed with you.

When they finally got around to producing the 1873 they selected the grips from the 1851 as the pattern.

I think there are a lot of us who would've preferred they had used the 1860 Army grip frame instead.

I have two of the 1851 Navy's in 44. Really enjoy shooting them. Small hands so they fit really nice. Other than the used BP market I don't see Pietta or Armini producing them in 44. Could be wrong.

I have a '60 Army with the '51 Navy barrel that was boogered inside the muzzle at the front I cut down to 4-5 inches. Back in the mid-80s I bought some whole kits and parts from a gun dealer friend and played around. I had a .36 '51 Navy with grip frame, trigger guard, and wood grip from a '60 Army. It balanced better and shot a lot truer.

Bones

I just got one of the Cabellas 1851 .44 "civlian models" a couple days ago, and the spare cylinder arrived today. The pistol fit and finish is very good and the silver plated trigger guard and grip frame are a nice touch. The bolt locks up tight in each cylinder notch with no drag, and the trigger pull is just about perfect out of the box.

Interestingly, the spare cylinder has no scene roll stamped on it. Looks kind of odd, but who knows why?

We've got rain projected over the weekend so it will probably be mid-week before I get to the range. It's about a 160 mile round trip so I'm going to take a bunch of rifles and pistols to try new loads and get sighted in for the upcoming hunting season. I'll let you know how the BP one shoot. GF

Latest posts

Back