• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still shoot a .40 pistol they built for me probably close to 30 years ago and it still does fine. The only problem I ever had with them was a Hawken they had a guy build for me. He opened the barrel channel up too wide and then epoxied the barrel in place. I talked to Joe and he didn't hesitate in telling me to just return it. They used to load up a truckload of stuff and haul it to a gunshow in Sacramento California. Between Joe and Suzi they would handle probably at least 10 tables full of stuff along with racks of guns. If you were to visit their shop, prepare to spend some time as they have a lot in there to catch your attention.

The website pictures may not always be the greatest, but the last time I had a question about an item, Suzi emailed me back with the details and multiple photographs of the actual item I was purchasing. Maybe they are not the best with photography and long detailed descriptions on their website, but they do know the muzzleloading business.
I have bought guns from them, always have been pleased.
I remember noticing many of their guns had been built by the same person. I seem to recall starting a topic asking about him. Do they have an in house builder? If so, how would his work compare with a TVM?

I bought a couple of parts for my rifles lock from them last year. Other than the very expensive cost to get some small parts across the border, they were fast and efficient. I’d use them again.

I have not done business with them, however when I needed to purchase a barrel a friend gun maker said that is where he purchased his barrels. At the time their machinist was having health issues, causing delays, so I did not order my custom barrel. The lady I communicated with was someone I would do business with.
Larry
she is in her 80's and they have operated for many years and her husband just died. they have a killer catalogue.

I remember noticing many of their guns had been built by the same person. I seem to recall starting a topic asking about him. Do they have an in house builder? If so, how would his work compare with a TVM?
I think years ago they would furnish the parts, and had guys that would build your gun in different places. Doc White I think used to be one of their builders. You would get your gun delivered to you, without knowing who built it normally. They use good parts and old Joe would require their workers to do a good job !!!
I remember once when Joe was showing me a SAA revolver that one of their guys built....out of wood !! Of course it was nothing that could be fired, but everything on it functioned like a normal steel one. It was really impressive !!

Last edited:
I think years ago they would furnish the parts, and had guys that would build your gun in different places. Doc White I think used to be one of their builders. You would get your gun delivered to you, without knowing who built it normally. They use good parts and old Joe would require their workers to do a good job !!!
I remember once when Joe was showing me a SAA revolver that one of their guys built....out of wood !! Of course it was nothing that could be fired, but everything on it functioned like a normal steel one. It was really impressive !!
Charlie (can't remember the last name) seems to be the name I recall.

Has anyone shopped at "The Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium"? Good/bad, Thanks
I've done business with them before Joe and Suzi were even a couple. Joe opened up in the old Oregon Gun Works shop on main Street in Springfield. He grew the business to a point that he had to buy a lot larger building, or should I say two buildings. The store is with a warehouse and the barrel shop is across the tracks. Dave the barrel maker is really good at what he does. Suzi has a top hand by the name of David in the store. They have a couple of other employees. Joe always said that what they sell is service, and that is what they sell. The gun works also sell wholesale to dealers.

I have only dealt with them twice but I can say that they were among the greatest gun transactions I have ever had. Years ago they had an original underhammer that had been abused but had a great price. I called for details and talked with Joe. When I got the gun I found that everything was exactly as Joe had described. If my best friend had gifted me the gun he couldn't have given me a more honest and exacting description. The second transaction took place after Joe's passing and I dealt with Suzie. I wanted to get my wife a flint pistol but Christmas was only a few days off. Suzie saw that the pistol was in my hands a couple of days early. I cannot heap enough praise on these folks. Life would be so easy if everyone was as honest as them and offered the same level of service. My only regrets are that I don't have more money to spend with them.

My question is, is Suzie prepared to marry an Aussie guy as soon as possible ?

I've done business with them, I usually go buy there once / twice a year , I like to go when they have the OKC show in Springfield in April, b jut the show has been canceled for a couple of covid years as of late,

Just bought a Traditions Kentucky flintlock kit from them. Suzi said they special order them as it wasn’t a regular made item. Six months later got an email that they had them and was I still interested. Shipped it all the way to BC, Canada for me. She was sweet to deal with on the phone.

Just bought a Traditions Kentucky flintlock kit from them. Suzi said they special order them as it wasn’t a regular made item. Six months later got an email that they had them and was I still interested. Shipped it all the way to BC, Canada for me. She was sweet to deal with on the phone.
I ordered a breech plug from her (3 days ago) and it's here already (I live in Georgia)!!! I will be doing more of my shopping through them. Thanks to everybody for their opinions and help!!!

I'm so happy to see everyone being treated so good by them. I always liked Joe and Suzi and they treated me good....and I'm so pleased to see everyone else happy with them too.

I bought a couple rifles from them. They are very good and reliable. They only show a couple pics on their site generally, but you can contact them and they will send pictures.

Back