• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The good Lord made Jim Kibler busy (and slow) in order for me to take time to learn and think about what I am going to do, I suppose.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walaw717

40 Cal
Reaction score
Waiting and waiting for the colonial kit to be delivered has allowed me to go into the rabbit warren of what was done and is being done, allowing me to really think about what I want to do on the .58 cal colonial, when it comes. There is a great deal of good work posted in these forums and some good advice. Good reading while waiting. I am getting impatient to get started. However, this is allowing me to slowly assemble tools I will needs and collect patterns as well as understand the decorative styles of different places and people. Nevertheless, I want to feel the gun n white so I can feel where I want to go and get out o my head and imagination.

For me, visually simpler is better, rather than gaudy, as one person said. Been reading many of Dave Person's posts. Thoughtful man, brilliant eye.

I can appreciate the "alligators you're wrestling" during your wait. I'm pondering selling a few firearms to fund a Jim Kibler project, BUT which one, which caliber ?
Hmmmm........

Waiting and waiting for the colonial kit to be delivered has allowed me to go into the rabbit warren of what was done and is being done, allowing me to really think about what I want to do on the .58 cal colonial, when it comes. There is a great deal of good work posted in these forums and some good advice. Good reading while waiting. I am getting impatient to get started. However, this is allowing me to slowly assemble tools I will needs and collect patterns as well as understand the decorative styles of different places and people. Nevertheless, I want to feel the gun n white so I can feel where I want to go and get out o my head and imagination.

For me, visually simpler is better, rather than gaudy, as one person said. Been reading many of Dave Person's posts. Thoughtful man, brilliant eye.
I'm i the same boat. Looooww on the Woodsrunner list . Hopefully those ahead of me will be showing off their work and leading the way. I was planning to be very simple with it and have it ready for elk opener on September 10th but that's very unlikely. Probably for the best since that would have me rushing it.

I did get the semi-fancy wood and that is actually better than a lot of places with fancy wood! And I just received my kit, received EXACTLY to the timeline that they stated to me, when ordered.

I am building for my best friend and to me … Simple is incise carvings and molding lines down the forend and a hunter’s star on the top of the cheek piece, as well as the molding lines on the bottom of the cheek piece.

I do plan on darkening the brass and will let the wood be the star!

Last edited:
Sometimes less is more. A great example is the Arts and Crafts movement in reaction to Victorian Gothic gaudiness. Many cover up the beauty of the original material with embellishments.

Back