• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The GOEX Plant is shutting down

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the government NEEDS it, it will surreptitiously import it for its own needs only. Or start a government factory here with NO sales to the public. I think black powder is still made in Brazil , maybe it will be imported soon. If you can buy it in the gun control paradise that is England, you should be able to get it here. After the shortage that is coming, of course.
Hazmat fees my make it not profitable Enough to ship☹️

I've been trying to hold my "tongue," so to speak, and not say this but,,,,
Here's the watered down version of what I'd really like to say....

A big thanks to all the American b.p. shooters who have been shooting Swiss and any other foreign powders.
Now, with a stroke of a pen, some politician can outlaw the importation of b.p. for whatever stupid reason, because it's an explosive, or some dumb ****. And we will have no powder source.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=schuetzen black powder
But I will say it's the outcome of consolidation: With Hodgdon owning both Pyrodex and Goex, you don't get the benefit of competition and this is where that ends up.

Black powder vital for US artillery ammunition, though. It's every igniter for every powder charge. So it's time for someone to buy the plant - or open a newer, safer plant.

I'd buy stock in a U.S. powder company.

Schuetzen may be an excellent powder, but, it is still an import and can be stopped at any time.
Unless Schuetzen buys, updates,, and restarts the Goex facility, they too may be a limited time solution to getting real black powder here.

Goex had yet another fire back in June. We've probably just reached the point where insurance costs and/or the repeated costs of rebuilding after a fire no longer makes fiscal sense. I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy but as with most things in this world, your answers can usually be found by simply following the money.

It's probably about time to put on our chemistry hats...
No chemistry needed.

The largest buyer of black powder from Goex is Uncle Sam for various munitions. Production will hopefully resume in the near future to fill this need.

I think our battleships still use BP for their massive deck guns . . . but that doesn't mean this Administration cares about our military or domestic market.

I just turned 57 not long ago and I have been enjoying every aspect of the shooting sports from reloading to building to shooting since I have been about 13 years old with my dad and uncles and feel sorry for all the newer guys just starting out and really loving the sport because soon the world will have its dam way and everything as we know it will be nothing but a memory because every time we turn around it’s something else nocking and taking at the proverbial door until poof what happened. All because it just wants to be taken away from us.

I think our battleships still use BP for their massive deck guns . . . but that doesn't mean this Administration cares about our military or domestic market.

There haven't been any battleships or large deck guns in the US Navy for a long time.

You hear about blackpowder turning up in the strangest places in the military. I think everyone is aware of its use as a booster charge. It's also apparently used as a primer cartridge for a lot of artilleries. I'm even seeing that blackpowder is used for the ejection seats for jets.

The Schuetzen brand is a joint operation between Petro-Explo, Inc. of Texas and WANO powder of Germany. I'm assuming this was done to facilitate the availability and sale of WANO's products in the USA. There's always the possibility the two could strike some kind of deal to start making the powders sold in the USA domestically. Who knows? Perhaps they will buy up GOEX? As far as imported BP being banned, legal products from countries we are friendly with being banned is extremely rare. The gov can always use the excuse of our antagonistic relationships with places like Russia or China to ban otherwise legal imports from those places, but banning products from Germany or Switzerland? They could try it, but the pushback from those places and their allies would be more that they might imagine. They could also always try outlawing BP altogether, which I don't think would fly, but if it did it would make the whole situation moot anyway. It's always wise to be wary and keep up to date on the latest developments, but I'm not ready to panic and say the sky is falling just yet.

About Us - Schuetzen Black Powder | Schuetzen Powder

Petro-Explo - Petro-Explo

WANO Schwarzpulver GmbH

Last edited:
Schuetzen may be an excellent powder, but, it is still an import and can be stopped at any time.
Unless Schuetzen buys, updates,, and restarts the Goex facility, they too may be a limited time solution to getting real black powder here.

The real issue is that Goex has regular KBs at their plants. We rubes out in the hustings who shoot BP are a very small part of Goex business. Face it military/gov uses waaaay more than we do. Couple that with the fact that Hodgdon makes that ersatz Pyrodex stuff and I'm not surprised in the least that they are going to divest themselves of Goex. Somebody is going to buy it. I hope Schuetzen does. They donate to our BP youth shooting program while Goex wouldn't even take our phone call or answer an email. As far as I'm concerned, Schuetzen is good to go while Goex can pound sand (assuming they don't blow up again in the process)

for 35 years I used Pyrodex which purists rip 24/7 with absolutely no problems cause it was easy to get in any gun store. BP required a bunker outside to store it. I met a guy and went to a BP match in Georgia. we came back with 2- 50lb wooden kegs of BP in the RV. I used some of it for a while ran out went back to pyrodex. like it or not that may be the only way to shoot for a while

There is no battleship now in service with any navy in the world. We do have eight decommissioned
battleships on display. I'd be there to see it if any one of them was going to fire the big guns.

Last edited:
Back