• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The GOEX Plant is shutting down

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the government NEEDS it, it will surreptitiously import it for its own needs only. Or start a government factory here with NO sales to the public. I think black powder is still made in Brazil , maybe it will be imported soon. If you can buy it in the gun control paradise that is England, you should be able to get it here. After the shortage that is coming, of course.

With Hodgdon shutting down ,,,,, not only does that mean the end of GOEX BP ...that also means the end of Pyrodex as they make that also. The only thing available will be triple seven pellets ...$39.00 for 8 ounces of pellets. Pellets are useless for our regular muzzleloaders. I ordered 3 pounds of Pyrodex Select this morning while it is still available. I'll load duplex loads for my flinters. 40 grains of 2F BP then 40 grains of Pyrodex. That will make my BP stock on hand last much longer.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Goex had yet another fire back in June. We've probably just reached the point where insurance costs and/or the repeated costs of rebuilding after a fire no longer makes fiscal sense. I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy but as with most things in this world, your answers can usually be found by simply following the money.

It's probably about time to put on our chemistry hats...
Yup, and it does not help the fact that the company shutting down the plant is the one producing “safer”, less restricted and “equal” substitutes! Why bother with BP when you can make more selling the stuff you produce already??

With Hodgdon shutting down ,,,,, not only does that mean the end of GOEX BP ...that also means the end of Pyrodex as they make that also. The only thing available will be triple seven pellets ...$39.00 for 8 ounces of pellets. Pellets are useless for our regular muzzleloaders. I ordered 3 pounds of Pyrodex Select this morning while it is still available. I'll load duplex loads for my flinters. 40 grains of 2F BP then 40 grains of Pyrodex. That will make my BP stock on hand last much longer.
Ohio Rusty ><>
I read somewhere that their BP substitutes are made in Kansas (?) so maybe they will keep making it.

Insurance on pure black powder- manufacturing or shipping it- is way higher than smokeless or the substitution powders. Any body of investors will see this. Plus government regulation, I don’t see this getting better anytime soon. Glad I bought some when I could.

The inline importers and makers here in this country will push for the substitution powders to be made of course….

Yup, and it does not help the fact that the company shutting down the plant is the one producing “safer”, less restricted and “equal” substitutes! Why bother with BP when you can make more selling the stuff you produce already??
Yea at what price ? Can you you say gouge. No thanks Hodgden !

It’s always something to threaten the sport. Maybe someone else will run with the BP Ball and start up business… you can bet with no competition all other powders will go up in price.

That is some bad news. I do not want to see only foreign made powder on the market. That supply can go away with the stroke of a pen.
at least foreign made BP, can still keep us going. remember that is is better than nothing!!

at least foreign made BP, can still keep us going. remember that is is better than nothing!!

This year has already banned the import of a a lot of ammunition and firearms. All it would take is 30 seconds and a pen to never see overseas black powder ever again.

My fingers are crossed Goex is purchased by someone good.

Back