• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The GOEX Plant is shutting down

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1632790021332.png

Remember that all aspects of muzzleloading, from the one man business that provides hickory ramrods blanks, all the way to the largest companies like CVA, Pedersoli, and others; only comprise less than 1/1000 of 1% of the total outdoors/sporting goods/hunting/fishing/shooting/firearms/bow hunting/backpacking/camping/RV'ing/etc. market.

We're small potatoes. Which means that the chances of black powder being legislated out of existence are quite good. After all, in the minds of the general public, black powder is an explosive, only good for fireworks, and pipe bombs.

If the Goex black powder plant closes, and fails to re-open, then it would only take a stroke of a pen for Congress to forbid the importation of foreign sources of black powder. Then, only the substitutes would be available, and you can bet that the cost of those subs will skyrocket.

75% potassium nitrate, 15% charcoal and 10% sulfur

And here I was having a great day, it's my birthday. Dang it Hodgdon, first you took a swing at cast bullets by getting rid of SR4759, now you go for the kill shot with Goex. I always said, I don't want to put in the effort of making powder when a fantastic American made Goex is available.

Well today might be that day.

I'm glad I started looking into making my own. At this point, all I need is a good fire to roast the willow in a gallon paint can and I'll have everything needed to mix up a batch.

Goex had yet another fire back in June. We've probably just reached the point where insurance costs and/or the repeated costs of rebuilding after a fire no longer makes fiscal sense. I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy but as with most things in this world, your answers can usually be found by simply following the money.

It's probably about time to put on our chemistry hats...

If you have a chance to buy powder, you better do it. This may create a run on the supplies that are out there just like the current ammo and components that are now impossible to get. BP will last you many years. It might be worth thinking of obtaining a rifle in the future that shoots the substitutes. I can make my BP last further using duplex loads - the first 40 grains is real BP, the next 40 grains on top is Pyrodex.
Ohio Rusty ><>

If you have a chance to buy powder, you better do it. This may create a run on the supplies that are out there just like the current ammo and components that are now impossible to get. BP will last you many years. It might be worth thinking of obtaining a rifle in the future that shoots the substitutes. I can make my BP last further using duplex loads - the first 40 grains is real BP, the next 40 grains on top is Pyrodex.
Ohio Rusty ><>
It's dried up as of right now in the case of 2F and 3F. Everyone on my list is out of stock, though some had it at 10 pm last night

Latest posts

Back