• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The Gift

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20191118_133807.jpg
2 years ago my mother and step father gifted me a very old flintlock rifle. It was purchased from an antique shop with very little known about it. Although I have great visions of the deeds this rifle has performed.

The rifle is approximately 45 cal and has brass furniture. The barrel is 44" and I can not find a single marking anywhere on the gun. Not on barrel, lock, butt plate, nothing. I have fired it sparingly and longed to take a deer with it.
Well that hasn't happened. But I finally was able to make meat with it a couple weeks ago.
A slow quiet walk along a deer trail produced no deer. However the walk back found me being scolded loudly by a gray squirrel at 20 yds. His berating of my lack of deer hunting ability struck a nerve.
I decided if he turned to my left it would be over for him. He did and I answered his nagging with a little noise of my own.

20191118_133813.jpg

His tail will adorn the flap of my possible bag and the rifle can now go on my wall as a permanent display.

Last edited:
Back