• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Fremont

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont hunt, but I do have one by Armisport. It's a very cool rifle. Here it us next to my m1842 smoothbore.
20200321_114312.jpg

I dont hunt, but I do have one by Armisport. It's a very cool rifle. Here it us next to my m1842 smoothbore.View attachment 27968
Steve, you lucky dog! Those are hard to get! Lodgewood Mfg. had a used one in pristine condition a while back, at a fair price, but I waffled one day too long, and missed it.

I do have one of the full length M1842 smoothbores, though, defarbed by Todd Watt. It is one of my "keepers."

For the OP, there are several discussions of the "Fremont" rifles on the various Civil War boards, including the N-SSA Forum. Try Googling "1842 fremont rifle" and you should get a lot of hits.

I'm pretty sure the Fremont rifle has been discussed here, too. A quick search out to show what's here.

I saw an antique catalog recently which I believe listed a short-barreled smoothbore version of the M1842. It was not cut down, but was made that way. I think those are quite rare.

Notchy Bob

I dont hunt, but I do have one by Armisport. It's a very cool rifle. Here it us next to my m1842 smoothbore.View attachment 27968

Hey Steve.
What sort of bore diameter did they give you? Mine is almost a seventy cal at 0.696". Due to the minie rifling it's been tough finding a round ball load. I dang near had more grooves cut to make it more RB friendly.

Had a #68569 altered (with larger diameter bands and increased length of bearing surface) to work as lubed lead and long years ago a #57730 turned into a smooth sided for paper patch.

I really love the piece and so thought I'd ask if folks are hunting with them.
Over the years kinda threatened to brown the action, rear sight, barrel and bands but never have.

Its been a while, but I think I used a .690" minie last. The bore is a bit big. I've also been playing with a similar, navy Plymouth musket. This is the only US musket made new as a .69 cal rifled musket. A very cool piece. Shown here with the Fremont.
20200409_201141.jpg

I built this one. It came to me as a smoothbore with a 26" barrel. I had Bobby Hoyt rifle it with 3 grooves, .687 bore. I wanted it to resemble a Confederate carbine made from a rifled musket. I added the long range rear sight and a barrel mounted front sight as well as additional sling swivels. It shoots the Rapine semi wadcutter minie or a patched .672 ball.
1afagTzPQwC1ACJLejZZ+g.jpg

I like the looks of the Fremont. Was there ever an original smoothbored M1842 in that short barrel length? Seems like I've heard of an "Artillery Model" or something like that, but I'm not sure, and they must have been uncommon.

Notchy Bob

I don't know Bob. The rifled version with the 33" barrel is pretty handy so I'd imagine it could have made a great smoothbore for military use. Maybe buckshot to help make life miserable for cavalry incursions could have been useful too for the artillery guys? Wouldn't be surprised if somebody used a two foot barrel version before the war was over.

When shooting round ball in that big bore with its shallow rifling* I found that hard cast balls resting on top of the lands worked better than trying to get patched soft lead balls to evenly seat into the grooves. The length of the perimeter of a soft lead ball that your trying to deform on the lands amounts to around an inch of lead. Perhaps a coned muzzle would help that but if it was coned then it would cease to be a minie shooter. I guess like everything in life there's pluses and minuses. But if you had a rifled barrel and loaded something like #4 buck for close range no doubt you could throw a pretty got cloud.

*Three lands and three 0.004" grooves of equal width.

I don't know Bob. The rifled version with the 33" barrel is pretty handy so I'd imagine it could have made a great smoothbore for military use. Maybe buckshot to help make life miserable for cavalry incursions could have been useful too for the artillery guys? Wouldn't be surprised if somebody used a two foot barrel version before the war was over.

When shooting round ball in that big bore with its shallow rifling* I found that hard cast balls resting on top of the lands worked better than trying to get patched soft lead balls to evenly seat into the grooves. The length of the perimeter of a soft lead ball that your trying to deform on the lands amounts to around an inch of lead. Perhaps a coned muzzle would help that but if it was coned then it would cease to be a minie shooter. I guess like everything in life there's pluses and minuses. But if you had a rifled barrel and loaded something like #4 buck for close range no doubt you could throw a pretty got cloud.

*Three lands and three 0.004" grooves of equal width.
That is a very informative post. Thank you! I would be interested in the ball diameter relative to bore (land to land) diameter, and patch thickness, if possible. EDIT: I see from one of your previous posts (#5, above) that the bore diameter of your rifle is a bit oversized, at 0.696”.

I really know very little about the Fremont rifles, and I have tried to research them. One fellow on the N-SSA forum, who had evidently examined an original, stated that the grooves were deeper than would be expected for Minie bullets, suggesting the originals may have been designed to shoot patched round balls. I have been unable to confirm that, but it is an intriguing possibility.

Thanks for your input, my friend. It sounds as if you have invested time and thought into load development for this interesting but little-known military arm.

Notchy Bob

Back