• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The experiment.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The experiment didn't happen! Well, not the one I was intending to do.
Someone was questioning whether steel shot would work in a small bore shotgun and I thought I would give it a go as I did have about 2oz of fe#5 shot somewhere. But could I find it? No, I could not! I wanted to try it in my .45.
Then I remembered I had not cleaned the 10g for weeks!
So I got big Ted out for inspection.
Not to bad, the breech was smothered in patch lube and in good condition.
IMG_20221126_070708.jpg

The barrels were good but the muzzles had some rust.
IMG_20221126_070556.jpg

I didn't panic, I just went shooting.
Responding to information about some geese coming to a marl pit in the early light I loaded about 1&1/2oz of tm shot #3 and about 90gns of fine black powder.
I was expecting the card wads to be aweful to load down them crusty barrels but no, they glided down. Probably due to the lube I use during shooting from last time.
The geese did indeed drop in but I could not shoot them coming in so had to show myself once they landed and hope they circle a certain way to give me a shot so I can retrieve from without getting wet!
Sure enough they lifted and circled to avoid some trees and passed over me at a whopping 20yds.
The fine black powder burned fast. A satisfying recoil, boom and smoke obscured the bird as it crumpled and landed not 10yds from my feet.
IMG_20221126_075445.jpg

I'd only been out for a little more than half an hour from first light and was done but I still had one barrel loaded!
I could hear some pheasant not far away so walked bold as brass into some thick cover untill one broke cover. Swinging left Ted let fly and a pheasant was added to the already heavy bag!
IMG_20221126_080341.jpg

When I got home it was time to clean Ted up properly.
That meant hot water pumping. Boiled water rinsing and a good drying.
Once cooled a little, a little polishing the rust affected area and applied patch lube and all was good again ready for next time.
IMG_20221126_104343.jpg

Pedersoli shotguns are chrome plated but it is very thin and whilst slows some corrosion it's not a guarantee to prevent rusting but as you can see, I don't panic, there is no need.
Use a good animal/veg fat based lube and it will really help slow any reaction down.
I propped Ted up in the corner and smiled like a Cheshire cat....what ever that means.
B.

Well done Brit. I love pheasant on the grill but haven't seen one around here in years. Goose not so much. The first goose I ever shot was when I was in my early twenties and decided to have it for Thanksgiving dinner. Plucked it and seasoned it and into the oven. A few hours later checked it and it looked like a huge raisin floating in a tub of grease. Thank God the local pizzeria was open. Only time I ever had pizza for Thanksgiving. Haven't been goose hunting since.

Well done Brit. I love pheasant on the grill but haven't seen one around here in years. Goose not so much. The first goose I ever shot was when I was in my early twenties and decided to have it for Thanksgiving dinner. Plucked it and seasoned it and into the oven. A few hours later checked it and it looked like a huge raisin floating in a tub of grease. Thank God the local pizzeria was open. Only time I ever had pizza for Thanksgiving. Haven't been goose hunting since.
I've been breasting the pheasant and my wife has been making snitzel lately. It's very very good 😊

Never tire of your Big Ted or hunting dog stories! I see Jess was along...I guess she doesn't retrieve if they go in the water?

I'd say that hunt was perfect!
Actually she would with encouragement go in but she is getting on now. It's one thing if it's 10' from the edge but not a deep cold water as today.

Loved the pics and the story brother. I come from a family of goose hunters and love eating them. Goose sausage, goose jerky, stewed goose, hot dipped goose chunks (double baked in Franks hot sauce). Ground goose taco’s. All good. Some folks think you must cook like a turkey, boy that is nasty!!
Walk

That sounds like a fantastic day! Congratulations!! I really need to find a smoothie. I was at Cabela’s today and they had a Pedersoli that I wanted to look at. I have no idea what gauge it was. After about 30 minutes of watching employees run everywhere, except to offer help, I walked away. Guess they were just too busy for a guy standing in front of the only muzzleloader in the place. Anyway, I’m getting way off track. That is a very nice goose, beautiful pheasant and a really nice shotgun. Thanks for sharing!

That's an impressive looking goose! Id guess they are larger than out Canadas?

When I got to the part about it falling ten yards away I had to chuckle over what happened to a friend. A pair of ducks were flying fast directly toward him. His first shot connected and he continued to swing straight overhead for a shot at the second. Before he could get the shot off the first duck hit him in the chest. 😀

Back