• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The English Snaphance Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResearchPress

45 Cal.
Reaction score
New free download article via my web site.

The English snaphance is not only one of the most innovative "flint-locks" but is probably one of the rarest gun mechanisms to have survived. Recent research has found that only about 80 English snaphance muskets, pistols and detached locks have survived worldwide, although this does not include excavated, converted or incomplete locks. Modern tests by the author have proved it to be a fast and reliable mechanism and it must have been a serious challenger to the matchlock and wheellock in the 16th century. This article looks at the history of the lock and examines two examples.

See: The English Snaphance Lock and Two In Particular

David

Brian Godwin, for my monies worth, and I have books by all the greats, is the new C. Blair, Hayward, Blackmore, et al. Godwin is to be quoted, cited, and referenced in all matters attendant to English lock types. Just sayin'

RJDH said:
I did not know you frequented this forum.
Been here a few years now! Mostly in the percussion section.... :)

miqueleter said:
Godwin is to be quoted, cited, and referenced in all matters attendant to English lock types.
Brian's given me around ten articles to make available via my web site. I just have one more to add. Browse the folders here: Research Press Library

David

Hi David

Thank you so much for posting your article. It helps to clarify how the lock functions and it's general period of usage - at least in England. As you mentioned, the lock must have been quite an advancement over the matchlock and wheellock during this period. An important step in the advancement of lock making. Thanks again for posting. I saved your article in my library.

Here are some pics of the English snaphaunce replica offered by The Rifle Shoppe. Note the clever spring loaded safety feature at the tail of the lock plate. It operates exactly as David mentions.

It's likely during the English Civil Wars period that matchlocks, wheellocks, snaphaunces, English locks, and early forms of doglocks were all utilized at some point. Must have been a period of vast lock experimentation.

Thanks again David for your post.

Rick

Were there not thousands made for trading with Africa or something like that? Even I have one of them :idunno:

snapback.jpg

RJDH said:
Robin,

Thousands were made 'In' North Africa.

All the best,
Richard.
The first Snaphance muskets by the Birmingham gun smiths in the 1693 Contract were to supply to the government 2,400 snaphance muskets in a year at the rate of 200 per month, The main gun makers to supply were William Bourne, Thomas Moore, John West, Richard Weston, and Jacob Austin.
In 1692 the contract stated that each gun to be 3 feet 10 inches long with walnut and ash stocks, with one half of the said muskets to have flat locks and one half round locks, the ramrod pipes and heel plates to be of cast brass, all stocks to be varnished .The musket barrels should be fixed with six good threads to the barrel breech screws before they are proofed at Birmingham according to Tower Proof. On delivery they shall be paid seventeen shillings for each piece.
No mention of a trigger guard
Feltwad

I've had some feedback from Brian Godwin (author of the Snaphance lock article).

With regards to Africa he observes:

The short Web article does not mention the various North African copies of the English snaphance lock. The article was based on a much lengthier publication which contains much more information and all the notes and references. I do not consider the North African snaphance lock as shown in the photograph to be English - it is a copy of the snaphance lock that was produced in England during the early part of the 17th century. As far as I am aware no existing snaphance lock from a North African gun has proven to be of English manufacture. They were exported from England in the mid-17th century to the Barbary Coast but none of these original locks seem to have survived. All you find today are copies of the original locks made by North African craftsmen, similar to the one shown in the photograph. A much more substantial and quite different version of the snaphance lock was also made in both England and Europe during the 19th century for export to North Africa. These can also be found on African long-guns and pistol. You could argue that as these were made in England, they could still be considered English. They are also discussed in the original article.

With regards to the time period, I refer readers to one of the closing paragraphs of the article which notes: "After this period (1650) the "snaphance lock" as defined and described here, ceased to be made but the term snaphance remained. The word or term then began to be applied indiscriminately to any flint-using gunlock in England and its use continued throughout the rest of the 17th century and into the first decade of the 18th century. Unfortunately it is this use of the term in contemporary documents that still seems to confuse many students of early firearms and has led to incorrect interpretations and the assumption that the English snaphance, as defined in this article, was made until the end of the 17th century."

Regarding Feltwads interesting comments

This is a typical example of the term "snaphance" still been used late into the 17th century. In my original article I also stated that the Ordnance Bill Books of 1702 show that the Duke of Marlborough’s Company received "Snaphance Musquetts with walnuttree stocks". You can see just how long the term continued in use. Again, I think the shortness of this version of the original 35 page article is perhaps causing problems.

The download article contains in the 'further reading' a link to Brian's website, should anyone wish to contact him to discuss the detail further.

David

Yes, David. Thanks for your additional post and adding Brian's comments. Had no idea the term "snaphaunce" continued in use for that long. That clears up a number of questions.
It is rather curious that none of the English/European locks made for export to North Africa have turned up. I can only guess that the locks made for export were done during the earlier period of the locks use, with local manufacture soon taking over. Of course, I'm just speculating.
Two features on the 19th Century North Afrian locks I've noticed: Judging by my TRS replica, and photos of original English locks, the NA locks have a more narrow waist in the lock plate. This could be to accomodate the slim Moroccan muskets we often see. Also, the threads on the screws of the NA locks look more 17th Century European versus 19th Century. But this should not really be surprising with NA lock makers working in more "tribal" type shops.
I've often wondered why the use of the snaphaunce lock persisted in Morocco through at least the 3rd quarter of the 19th Century. By this time the miquelet and French flintlock, with their faster lock timing and better reliability, were well establish in the Eastern markets. I can only guess that the snaphaunce lock continued it's popularity with the locals, and the locksmiths knew how to build them. And change came very slowly in this part of the world.
Anyway, thanks again for starting this Thread. Most interesting.
Here is another example of a Moroccan/North African lock, made in the English pattern, and very similar to the one posted by Robin above. This one I believe was never mounted to a gun. It's in as-new condition.

Rick

Ricky's point about change coming slow to North African (NA) gunsmiths is mostly correct. Surviving examples of NA snaphaunce muskets mostly show a lot of "carry-wear." Several I have had the opportunity to closely examine had not been shot much despite their age and multi-generational usage. They were all also highly decorated with silver, abalone shell, ivory, and mother of pearl inlays. Fancy guns always get passed down to the next generation while plain ones get used up and discarded, I suggest that many of the surviving snaphaunce muskets from NA were carried as symbols of wealth, rank, and power rather than their usefulness as a firearm.

Does anyone know if there is an original that TRS's Elizabethan carbine snaphaunce is based on? I no longer have the catalog, but I seem to remember they referenced a piece found on an east coast battle field. I've emailed them several times but have had no response. I would love to have a more in depth story to go with my piece.

deGheyn said:
Does anyone know if there is an original that TRS's Elizabethan carbine snaphaunce is based on? I no longer have the catalog, but I seem to remember they referenced a piece found on an east coast battle field. I've emailed them several times but have had no response. I would love to have a more in depth story to go with my piece.

TRS's Elizabethan carbine snaphaunce (525)

The only thing that their catalog said is”¦.

“Thanks to the late Kit Ravenshear we have a good example of the only known Elizabethan carbine snaphaunce.
It is a nice early 1600’s medium size lock that would be a good size for even fowlers of the period.
The barrel is a 28” tapered and flared octagon.”

William Alexander

So an English snaphaunce gun could have seen use in 1622 in King Philip's War? And also in the Deerfield Raid in 1703? I understand that many other lock designs were in use throughout this period but were snaphaunces in use throughout the period as well? Thanks for any info.

Hi,
King Phillip's war was 1675-1676. Yes snaphaunces could have been used then. The lock found in the ruins of the Jereh Bull blockhouse is an early English lock which could have been a conversion from an old snaphaunce.
dave

Latest posts

Back