• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Enfield shoots better!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I noticed recently that the lock was still touching the nipple bolster just a little still so I raised the barrel a little more to make sure it cleared this time!

Before I did this the gun would give me a sub 4" group at 40yds with a linen patched .562 ball with one backing patch of the same between the 90grn equiv of pyrodex and ball.

After clearing the lock this weekend I shot two ball 1 1/2" apart. At that I went hunting!

I found a sqirrel sitting on the side of an old dead oak, he was facing me with his bushy tail above him. After the smoke cleared I paced it off at 40 paces. The tree was covered in tail hair, the ball had skimmed over it's head and back! The squirrel was up the tree going nuts at me with a very untidy tail!

Adding this shot to the previous two it is looking like it may be capable of around 2" at this distance now.

Further tests will hopefully show I have a 50yd deer capable gun.

This Parker Hale Enfield p61 musketoon is a joy to carry in the field being the lightest of the Enfield variants.
musketoon001.jpg

If you look closely you can see my sight that has replaced the Peabody rear which allways makes these guns shoot high for hunting purposes.

Brits :hatsoff:

I have a Parker Hale Muskatoon that I am working up loads for, I can tell its going to be a fun musket to shoot!

Mine is a rifle I got it off an on line auction site a couple of months ago. A man was selling his late Father's gun. It looks brand new.
I used that link to set up my Parker Hale for matches next year. I will have to check the barrel/lock alignment, Thanks
:thumbsup:

I have 2 of those, both Birmingham rifles. I haven't even fired the other one yet. I did put a #11 Treso nipple on one and a Treso musket cap nipple on the other. The #11 just for convenience because the Dunham's 5 minutes away gives me unlimited access to CCI Magnum #11 caps for $8 a tin, vs having to order musket caps or drive to a shop an hour away that's never open.

I love these, they are nice handling rifles, lots of fun at the range and reliable.

I noticed recently that the lock was still touching the nipple bolster just a little still so I raised the barrel a little more to make sure it cleared this time!
Further tests will hopefully show I have a 50yd deer capable gun.

This Parker Hale Enfield p61 musketoon is a joy to carry in the field being the lightest of the Enfield variants.

If you look closely you can see my sight that has replaced the Peabody rear which allways makes these guns shoot high for hunting purposes.

Brits :hatsoff:

I have some original Enfields .... they all shoot high. So.... I got my wire feed welder out, taped off the area for spatter and added me a little/lot to the front sight, then filed it down to suit. Fixed the issue right up! If you get some of that browning chemical, it won't even show as non original. (unless you look too close, I also made it thicker for my antique eyes) Now, at 150+ years old its killing again... Defending against the invasion of deer and elk! Jerry

I have some original Enfields .... they all shoot high. So.... I got my wire feed welder out, taped off the area for spatter and added me a little/lot to the front sight, then filed it down to suit. Fixed the issue right up! If you get some of that browning chemical, it won't even show as non original. (unless you look too close, I also made it thicker for my antique eyes) Now, at 150+ years old its killing again... Defending against the invasion of deer and elk! Jerry
Good idea, I did that to a zouarve repro once to.

Back