• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The effect of barrel length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely, some calibers make more efficient use of powder than others. However, It is the fusion of terminal ballistics, external ballistics with the conditions of the hunt and the type of game hunted that is the kabuki dance.

Toss in self imposed limitations like gun weight and length and you got a full blown kabuki theater on your hands.

I will be the first to admit that I could carry a tried and proven 32", crescent buttplate, 54 caliber, shooting a PRB and hold my shots to 75 yards and kill elk (and then be able to find them...a majority of the time).

But then I wouldn't have anything to do in my spare time.

Last edited:
I doubt anybody can find any study of 2x4 penetration in relation to a PBR penetrating a deer. That is simply a wild a** guess.

Sounds more like someone weighing more than a duck to see if they are a witch.

I think it would be safe to say that if a ball WON’T penetrate a 2 x 4, it might be marginal for penetrating a deer.
First, we must define “penetrate”.
Part of the way through, or all the way through?

Conicals fired in a breech loader are a world of difference from a PRB
Yes my round ball flinter get way more FPS than the 45/70s do.
I don't need 2050 fps to make a clean kill.
No you dont, 1450fps is ideal for killing animals. But the 2050fps is for distance.
Im out to 150 yards, and that further than Id shoot a deer for, with a round ball.
I like to stay inside of 100 yards for an humane kill.

Have any of you tested accuracy with the cleaning jag on the end or your ram rod sticking out beyond the edge of the barrel? I could see how it could deflect gas and push the bullet higher or destabilize it.

Have any of you tested accuracy with the cleaning jag on the end or your ram rod sticking out beyond the edge of the barrel? I could see how it could deflect gas and push the bullet higher or destabilize it.
No difference at all. I have noted in numerous historical pics the similar extension beyond the barrel and you got me wondering.

I figured it wouldn't matter as I haven't seen any change in accuracy in any other guns when using my magnaspeed chronometer extension other than in a 260 rem that shift POI ever so slightly, but not the accuracy at all.

Same with the ML. The magnaspeed attachment does not change accuracy, nor does the ramrod.

This next set of trials is to try FFFg vice FFg to see if I have any shift upward in velocity and then to try for accuracy. I did a couple of 54's with FFg that I have as a base line before getting sick. Next week I should be good to go and have some decent weather. for further tests with the 58Cal and 54's

No difference at all. I have noted in numerous historical pics the similar extension beyond the barrel and you got me wondering.

I figured it wouldn't matter as I haven't seen any change in accuracy in any other guns when using my magnaspeed chronometer extension other than in a 260 rem that shift POI ever so slightly, but not the accuracy at all.

Same with the ML. The magnaspeed attachment does not change accuracy, nor does the ramrod.

This next set of trials is to try FFFg vice FFg to see if I have any shift upward in velocity and then to try for accuracy. I did a couple of 54's with FFg that I have as a base line before getting sick. Next week I should be good to go and have some decent weather. for further tests with the 58Cal and 54's
Thanks.

I've done lots of deer hunting and target shooting with a short, .50, 24" barrel rifle. It performed as well as any other rifle I've used. Currently my shortest barrel is a .45 X 36". This rifle is handy, accurate and has proven itself on deer. The longest I've used was a .50 X 42" barrel. That one also killed a good many deer. I pay no attention to velocity when hunting but DO pay much attention to the accuracy. Deer are easy to kill with about any well placed shot.

Back