• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The Double Double

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So here she is. The Double Double (for lack of a better description). A double 20 smoothbore with double ignition; flint and percussion cap. Made by Jones (I think John Jones) of Birmingham London. I'm guessing in the 1820's. I found records of Jones buying a shop in 1817. He died in 1837.

It was certainly used but is still in excellent condition.

Jones_Flint_i-1920w.jpeg

If you look closely at this next picture you'll see a plate that is pushed forward or back to cover/uncover the barrel's flash hole depending on whether shooting cap or flint.

Jones_Flint_d-1920w.jpeg

The scroll work is beautiful and intricate.

Jones_Flint_q-1920w.jpeg

Jones_Flint_n-1920w.jpeg

This next picture has me stumped. When I first saw this I thought a shoulder strap attachment. Yea that's not what this is because it retains the barrel in the stock. Quick takedown maybe?

Jones_Flint_r-1920w.jpeg

Even has the original ram rod.

Jones_Flint_u-1920w.jpeg

I am honored to be the current caretaker of this gun. And there it is, this gun will outlive me and hopefully those after me. I'm amazed at the genius, creativity and talent that people had using what we'd consider "old fashioned" hand tools.

And for me the most important statement this gun makes is just because you've never heard of it before, or it isn't in primary documentation, doesn't mean it didn't exist.

Jones_Flint_zc-1920w.jpg

Where did I find it? A gentleman who comes across pristine and/or unique weapons.

Looks beautiful but paradoxically a royal pain,,,,, to operate!
I hope I am wrong but I am thinking it was made for a very wealthy anxious person!
Actually the only thing that is "additional" to either a flint or percussion gun is the sliding plate that covers/uncovers the flash hole. I'd imagine that changing between flint and percussion didn't happen very often. One either had caps or they didn't.

"made for a very wealthy anxious person", you might very well be correct. Hopefully once I start acquiring books about British gun makers I'll learn more...here is hoping anyway.

Robby, yes it does throw up to the shoulder perfectly and with good barrel alignment.

3Setters brings up an interesting point about the nipples being possibly mashed if not being used as a cap gun. His comment got me to wondering:

1. Certainly the thin copper of a cap isn't enough to protect the nipple? Could it be that the ignition of the cap is enough to soften the blow of the hammer on the nipple? I would think the main charge going off would be too late?

2. When operating as a flint gun with no cap on the nipple certainly some blow back from the main charge will pass up through the nipple to the hammer. If the pan flashes from the first few sparks before the cock reaches its rest might'n that cause the main charge to go off early enough to blow back through the nipple thereby softening the hammer blow to the nipple?

3. Would leaving a spent cap on the nipple protect it? Copper is hard but not as hard as iron so maybe it would absorb some of the impact? Do you guys that make your own caps reuse the spent ones?

Interesting questions. Of course the nipples could just be swapped out, but I don't want to do that to this gun for obvious reasons. Wouldn't Jones, the gunsmith that came up this gun, and the sliding plate to block off the touch hole, wouldn't he have already thought of this?

Perhaps when I start shooting this gun the questions will be answered. It's 8 degrees this morning, I'm disinclined to go outside and shoot although I'm certainly itching to.

That stock key with the loop hole is probably for a shoulder sling whose other end was a simple loop that slips over the stock and is pulled tight at the wrist. Goes on when the gun is secured across the back and the game is dragged out

Back