• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The Double Double

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feltwad you piqued my intrest in the covering plate mention on the pan, I went back and looked more closley at cornstalks beginning pictures noticed the percussion nipples had ridges that resemble threads, is it possible there were threaded caps that screwed on to the nipples if the shooter perfeered to shoot with the flint.

Finally got around to shooting it today for the first time. Six shots total. 60 grains of FFFg. Tried two different patch sizes, .010 and .015. Did four shots with the flintlocks and two with the percussion locks. 25 yards.

Right barrel shoots to the left side of the target, left barrel to the right side. I was aiming right above the heart.

IF the barrels are regulated the accuracy should improve by me shooting off hand allowing the gun to roll as regulated doubles are designed to do.

It's also possible the accuracy will improve with a different load or patch size. The round balls I ran from a Revolutionary war era mold without a sprue cutter so there's that as well.

Or this might just be how it shoots. I'll play with it some more later in the year. Absolutely love the gun.

Crossed shots indicate lower powder charges.

Feltwad you piqued my intrest in the covering plate mention on the pan, I went back and looked more closley at cornstalks beginning pictures noticed the percussion nipples had ridges that resemble threads, is it possible there were threaded caps that screwed on to the nipples if the shooter perfeered to shoot with the flint.
All original nipples had what you say threads but that was so the caps had a better grip especially on the type of gun . I have come across hundreds of them on shotguns rifle and more so pistol when doing restoration .
Feltwad

Latest posts

Back