• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The doe stopped broadside at 45 yards

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I dropped the hammer on her. 6 deer ran in on me and caught me off guard.

A flintlock goes off much better if you take the leather frizzen stall off.

I removed the stall, cocked back but the deer were now at a fast walk, when I tried to bleat them to a stop they turned on the afterburners. End of story.

I am going back tomorrow.

Most of us would't have gone to the extreme of pointing a loaded rife at a deer to test safety equitment. I find it commendable that you chose to test the frizzen stall in real world conditions.

Sean Gadhar said:
Most of us would't have gone to the extreme of pointing a loaded rife at a deer to test safety equitment. I find it commendable that you chose to test the frizzen stall in real world conditions.
:shocked2: :rotf:

The deer I hunt are real skittish, I sit with my gun cocked and frizzen stall in place. It is a lot easier to flip the stall off than try to pull the trigger and cock the gun without a sound, especially with cold fingers. Of course you have to remember the flip part, one click and my deer are gone.

This morning I remembered to flip my stall off.

Wm3M5lN.jpg

Eric Krewson said:
I sit with my gun cocked and frizzen stall in place.
If you are sitting, why have the stall in place at all? If you were moving, I could understand, but the sounds of walking would be far louder than cocking the lock. So again, the stall is superfluous in both situations...

BTW - looks delicious. A nice fat doe is a nice addition to the freezer.

Shoulder shot, high, she was looking at me an ducked. I was shooting up hill and the exit hole was lower than the entrance. She was on high alert and did a drop and roll when my pan flashed. I thought I had as close to instant ignition as possible but apparently not.

The reason I use the stall is I have some absent minded senior moments and forget I have my gun cocked while my mind drifts off to making bows or flintlocks. I usually sit in ground blinds that I make out of natural materials and have decided to get up and move only to find I have walked a ways with my gun cocked, very rarely but it has happened.

Just an old guy safety thing.......

I was in this blind overlooking a stand of white oaks this morning.

DqZiu42.jpg

Congratulations Eric!

I once had a buddy forget his frizzen stall was in place while attempting to shoot a cottontail.....Can't imagine the colorful language he'd have used if it were a deer. :haha:

If it makes you feel better, I did an all day sit with my longbow. Using a climbing stand, I got settled in, nocked an arrow and within the first 2 minutes of my sit, successfully dropped my quiver full of arrows to the ground. That's where it stayed until I climbed down this evening. Turns out one "arra" was more than enough. :td:

Thanks for sharing, Skychief

Latest posts

Back