• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Deluge (Potop)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alden

Cannon
Reaction score
So far I have 2-1/2 hrs. invested in the first disc of this film. 17th C. intrigue focused on the minor nobles fighting internally and in the Polish-Swedish War are the backdrop and sometimes the foreground. Brutality against peasants, love, and political chicanery are more prevalent than combat in this Academy Award Nominated Best Foreign Language film so far done on location in Poland in the mid-70's. Some of the arms and their use are excellent, some are simply well-crafted disguises noticeable when they shoot, but they make an effort to seem authentic in this nice-looking, well acted, period piece.

This film always comes up as "one to see" for its era and I finally broke down. There is another in this genre I expect to see soon but will give you a final report on this first when all is done and said (in English subtitles).

https://us.search.yahoo.com/yhs/se...90.86&os=Windows+XP&pa=vosteran&p=potop+video

These are royal Swedish troops marching on the republic of Poland (obviously they did not include the subtitles in this clip that must be from the original-language version -- but do we really need them in this cool scene, one of my favorites so far, anyway? What ARE they up to!?

Last edited by a moderator:
The second part of the film, only another 2-1/4 hours, is combat-rich -- I knew they weren't pulling all those actors playing Swedish troops together for no reason.

Well, the Poles and their new allies get their stuff together as our protagonist battles on to clear, and live up to, his not-always-so-good name.

I'd give it two flasks up overall.

This film is based on the second volume of Hendryk Sienkiewicz's magnificent trilogy about Poland and the Ukraine in the 17th century. The first volume is With Fire and Sword. The second is Deluge. Last is Pan Michael. It has vast sprawling battles with heavy cavalry (hussars) and Cossack light cavalry, romance and heroic swordsmen. The story is a bit grim at times but an awesome read. There are a couple of reprints (I have original copies from around 1900). Try to find a translation by Jeremiah Curtain. My father read them in the original Polish and said they were his favorite historical fiction works ever.

Back