• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The decline of .45 caliber ML single shot pistols and rifles....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, one of my favorite rifles is a TC New Englander with the barrel sleeved to .458 bore diameter. The grooves are of trapezoidal form to the effect of creating a polygonal cross section with the points flattened. With lubed lead and with paper patched, by comparison, it gives 45-70 through 45-120 performance depending on which molds and powder are used. The TC tang peep makes it nice field piece.

But I'd still like to have a slow twist .45 for plinking and target shooting with rifling made for the various hollow base design molds that were produced by Ideal/Lyman, Ohaus and others.

Was thinking about those nominally .45 caliber molds and barrels this morning. RCBS, Lyman and several mold makers now gone away produced really nice .445, .45 and .454 diameter hollow base bullet designs of 250 grains and heavier. That's the right size for making accurate bullets; not too much volume and easy to pour. Easy to make accurate. My guess is it's just not magnum enough so there's not much interest from the public.

Was thinking about those nominally .45 caliber molds and barrels this morning. RCBS, Lyman and several mold makers now gone away produced really nice .445, .45 and .454 diameter hollow base bullet designs of 250 grains and heavier. That's the right size for making accurate bullets; not too much volume and easy to pour. Easy to make accurate. My guess is it's just not magnum enough so there's not much interest from the public.
I still like them.

I started with a 50 because it was given to me, I had the opportunity to shoot the lighter T/C 45, not sure which model, I liked it and it would be perfect where I hunt. If I ever find one I can afford I’ll grab it.

This 45 has turned south on me shooting way high now and cant get any group at all. Tested lots of patch combos today with no progress. Shot 50 - 70 grain charges no improvement yet. Light lube to heavy lube nothing. Barrel is like new but having a devil of a time with it.

Ventured over to the Pedersoli website and slobbered on the key board. They're nice but an old second or third hand fifty tuned up and the barrel relined to shoot .45 hollow bases and round ball could make me just as happy.

Seldom shoot a deer much beyond 50 yards, but my .45's have a flatter trajectory than my larger caliber guns. Always used PRB's. Plus, you get a few more balls per pound of lead and a few more shots per pound of powder. Like to hear the "Crack" when you get the load fast enough. It's all fun, whatever turns your crank.

This 45 has turned south on me shooting way high now and cant get any group at all. Tested lots of patch combos today with no progress. Shot 50 - 70 grain charges no improvement yet. Light lube to heavy lube nothing. Barrel is like new but having a devil of a time with it.
Are you shooting patched round ball? I just tuned up a .45 and was getting terrible groupings with what I consider a good hunting charge, 60-70 gr's, so I kept on adding more coal to the fire, at 80 it started to tighten and at 85 gr's of fff it found its liking. I have no idea why, well, a few theories maybe, but thats' what it likes and I'm okay with it.
Robby

Back