• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The Colt Pockets are fun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20220327_013020.jpg

20220326_185713.jpg

Just when I thought the Colt Navy was cool......I discover the smaller , handier version.......

They point , handle and shoot so nice. I can see why these were so popular

I only fired 10 rounds through the Uberti/ 2nd Gen Pocket Navy but with 15 gr of 3f and round balls , it is a pleasant shooting little gun. I don't think I'll have a need to go above 15 gr in this little gun, the balls punched right out to 25 yards , hitting about a foot high and grouping nicely.
Probably about as much power as a .38 S&W , since I've owned and fired those too .

I feel like I need a .31 Pocket now

I'd love to have just one original Colt percussion like these, just to own the "real deal". I'd probably have to put a cylinder through it just to say I did.

Right now the 2nd Gen is the closest I have to a cap and baller with the Colt name on it, and info on just how involved Colt was with these is always changing.

I also discovered the pocket Colts recently. I can’t afford originals so I look for very nice or unusual reproductions. I picked up a four-inch Uberti 1849 pocket from a forum member and liked it so well I bought three more. (Yes, I’m a bit OCD but I plan to sell two of them. The best two I’m saving to put in a a good reproduction presentation case.) I also got an Uberti 1862 pocket Navy and that is also fun to plink with.

I used a reproduction pocket Colt flask with a 10-grain spout to load the 1849 models and that was plenty. I used closer to 18-20 grains for the pocket Navy.

I went to a gun show yesterday and there was a very similar looking revolver there except it was a 28 caliber. Did Colt make such a gun?

I’m no pro but I think only the side hammer Root came in .28. Was it an original? I would love to have one of those!
I don't recall the vendors name or even the make of the gun. He wanted $695.00 or was it $595.00? He said there were only 2,000 of them made. So I really don't know what he had.

According to Wikipedia the Root was made in both .28 (30,000) and .31 (14,000). The prices for originals that I’ve seen are comparable to other Colts, typically four to five figures. 🙁

I think Pietta once offered a reproduction and I know that Palmetto did. I know that only because I bought one from a forum member but the work it needed was beyond my capabilities so I returned it. In about three years of looking it’s the only Root reproduction that I’ve seen anywhere.

Eutycus, you may want to track down that vendor!

According to Wikipedia the Root was made in both .28 (30,000) and .31 (14,000). The prices for originals that I’ve seen are comparable to other Colts, typically four to five figures. 🙁

I think Pietta once offered a reproduction and I know that Palmetto did. I know that only because I bought one from a forum member but the work it needed was beyond my capabilities so I returned it. In about three years of looking it’s the only Root reproduction that I’ve seen anywhere.

Eutycus, you may want to track down that vendor!
He did say he will be in San Antonio next month.

Back