• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The Classifieds and Covid.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-a-hunter

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I'm wondering about some proper Classifieds etiquette and Covid. I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this.

Over the past two weeks, I have purchased two firearms off of internet classifieds. One muzzy here and a modern unmentionable on another forum. I do some custom metal and craft work in my (not so) free time and really have to sacrifice time away from my young family to be able to raise the extra funds for such purchases.

I do understand my concern is insensitive to their sickness situation.

Here's the situation... Both sellers of these firearms have unfortunately tested positive for Covid before they could get the firearm I paid for in the mail. One was electronic payment and I requested a refund until he could get the firearm shipped. No problem. The other was paid for with a postal money order so If the seller (which seems like a true gentleman that I have absolutely nothing negative to say towards) can't get to the PO ever, I'm out the funds.

right, wrong or indifferent, here is how I've addressed the situation. Similarly to both but requesting the seller needing to use a PO money order make contingency plans with those around them to please make sure they know to either ship the rifle or refund should Goodness forbid the virus takes a bad turn for them.

lyY8DEul.jpg

I guess I am posting this for awareness as well and maybe it is a conversation we should have in todays world. I personally don't think the seller should have a problem with this. I know I certainly wouldn't if the situation were reversed. I think though that maybe these quick "I'll take it" purchases might need a bit more conversation, patience and dialog on both sides.

What say you?

thanks,

Todd

Last edited:
I’ve got plenty of other stuff to worry about. Any seller could get hit by a bus before your gun ever got shipped and the odds are you’d be out the money. I just bought a gun and paid via PP Friends and had him hold the rifle a week so it wouldn’t arrive at my house before I was home. A lot can happen in a week.

I recently advertised my car, of course it sold while I was covid positive. The buyer had no qualms waiting for me to be able to get it to him.

Realistically, the guy could get mowed down by a bus crossing the street from the post office on the way to ship your gun. If you're that concerned, face to face is the only way to be safe.

Having said that, here we have to ship dealer to dealer, I make sure the gun is with the dealer or that he at least has been in contact with the seller and has licence details before sending funds. But that's purely based on avoiding scammers. I personally think basically saying "send my money back in case you die" lacks a little decorum.

Thanks for all the input. I agree with it all. I just wish I was rich enough I didn’t have to worry about it.

Todd

"The other was paid for with a postal money order so If the seller (which seems like a true gentleman that I have absolutely nothing negative to say towards) can't get to the PO ever, I'm out the funds."

He can take it to the bank just like a check.

If you can not really worry about loosing the price of a rifle, you are richer than me. You have no clue what we have to go through as a family to justify the cost.

Todd

Here is a perspective. I have a handful of guns, both MLs and unmentionables waiting to ship. All have been boxed since Thurs/Fri. Was awaiting payment for a few or to coordinate dropping off at my FFL today (Monday). On Saturday morning, my wife started having headache and fever. By late afternoon, it was ER time. She was deemed COVID positive. Saturday night late, my symptoms started. Have had two wretched days. BUT, we both had the full vaccine suite so it is like having really, really bad flu. I have informed all of the buyers of the situation and have a friend standing by to possibly take parcels to PO and FFL. But as several posters have stated, I could be killed in a car wreck on the way to Walmart just as easily. Just have contingency plans.

Always some risk in a transaction with someone you don't personally know and/or cannot handle in person (and even those are not entirely risk-free).

We'd hate to lose you as a hunter, shooter, and black powder enthusiast if you overextend your finances. I've known guys who have done it and had to sell everything to remain solvent. Really alienates them, their spouse and family and most never get back to it from the bad experience and family shame. Just my thoughts, but don't buy a gun instead of groceries...

How are you relating this to me putting the firearms above my family? Again, I am not rich enough I can just shrug off the price of a firearm. That doesn’t mean my family comes 2nd. It means that a hundred dollar bill has value at my house and I just can’t be throwing them away or not worrying about them. I have 4 kids, 11 through 1.5 years old. We have to question every dollar we spend but that doesn’t mean I didn't have to save up or go extra lengths to come up with the funds.
Todd

With all due respect, you inferred it.

You're awful defensive, if you had your mind made up that what you were doing was fine why even post the thread?

I just re-read everything. I’m having a hard time finding the text where I was asking if my decision was fine or not? I did ask your thoughts on the situation and knew fully well there would be some disagreement, but I didn’t ask if how I handled it was okay or not.

Remember this part above? This is me not asking if my opinion on the matter is okay or not.
right, wrong or indifferent, here is how I've addressed the situation.

To try and answer your question on why I posted this, I thought it was pretty obvious that I think we should be Covid aware and I think we have responsibilities as sellers when working around it. It is now obvious that I failed being obvious on what my post intent was. I own that and apologize for it.

I certainly did state that coming up with the funds to buy a gun is not something that just happens easily for my family. It takes planning and saving money. We would absolutely feel loosing money on a purchase to then have to turn around a save up again. Which I maintain and the reason for this entire thread. How that came across as me making my kids go hungry over it is lost on me.

Like BigSkyRambler stated above, I personally feel that having a conversation about contingency plans regarding Covid isn’t a bad thing. He doesn’t have a problem with it, and the two sellers I’ve dealt with didn’t have a problem with it. Somehow I’m now a villain because I think this isn’t a bad thing. I’m okay with that as well.

Remember this part as well?
I guess I am posting this for awareness as well and maybe it is a conversation we should have in todays world. I personally don't think the seller should have a problem with this. I know I certainly wouldn't if the situation were reversed. I think though that maybe these quick "I'll take it" purchases might need a bit more conversation, patience and dialog on both sides.

What say you?

The unfortunate and sad fact is, there is a certain age demographic where Covid becomes a way more serious issue than the younger crowd. That isn’t my opinion. With the electronic payment, I just asked the seller to electronically send the money back until he is able to get the item to the post office. No big deal. With the money order payment, I just asked the gentleman to please communicate with those around him to make sure the package or refund can be mailed in the event the medical issue becomes more serious. I obviously think it’s okay to do this or I wouldn’t have done it. As posted above, I realize it isn’t a “sensitive” approach. But with the fact that Covid is something we ALL have to deal with in todays current world, I think it’s something we as sellers need to keep in mind.

I am now asking, What is so wrong with that?

Todd

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back