• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Big Dixie 1858 Remington NM

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So ... still waiting for more info on the extended grip frame Remington NMA. I am hoping that the frame has enough room for my 6 foot 6 inch frame and corresponding large mits.

Wish I could report in with a comparison but I haven’t left the North Pole yet. I’m waiting for a Cabelas sale before I drive six hours round trip.

Grip size is important! 38 special Smith K-frames rap my knuckle badly. 357 and 44 mag N-frames or Rugers do not. If I shoot a 22 cal Smith K-frame I can feel the trigger guard touch my knuckle. It doesn't hurt but I feel the "touch."

Wish I could report in with a comparison but I haven’t left the North Pole yet. I’m waiting for a Cabelas sale before I drive six hours round trip.
Thought the cost would be enough for free shipping?

I'm 6'3", 270. Understand. I have the Rem target and like the fit, could be better but doable.
My 44ag would probably reek havoc on my knuckle if it wasn't ported and I shoot 240g jsp.
My target will with the heavier conicals so I just drop about 8 grains of powder to calm it a bit.

Any update on the grip size? I too have large hands and have never been able to shoot a Remington clone comfortably. Is the Dixie frame indeed larger? Does anyone make a truly large frame Remington?

Any update on the grip size? I too have large hands and have never been able to shoot a Remington clone comfortably. Is the Dixie frame indeed larger? Does anyone make a truly large frame Remington?

I think the Pietta is the largest made. (Dixie is just a retailer).

Mike

I have never handled a 1858 before and I have big hands and have read SO much about the middle knuckle getting hammered that I opted for this large framed version.

I have the same problem with the trigger guard rapping my knuckle with most any revolver.
I was told to put my pinkie finger under the grip and by golly it worked for me.
No more knuckle rap!

Thanks. Is the Pietta grip appreciably larger? I've handled some Pietta's with small grips.

No, not really. The "bigger" Pietta frame apparently is in the length of the forward section of the frame (forward of the cylinder ).

Here's a fix I did by cutting the back of the ring and removing material off the front side of it. Then relocating it and soldering it in place. You see some forward gain in the lower t.g.
20230522_113602.jpg

Depending on how much room you need, you could adjust accordingly.

Mike

No, not really. The "bigger" Pietta frame apparently is in the length of the forward section of the frame (forward of the cylinder ).

Here's a fix I did by cutting the back of the ring and removing material off the front side of it. Then relocating it and soldering it in place. You see some forward gain in the lower t.g.
View attachment 223261

Depending on how much room you need, you could adjust accordingly.

Mike
Nice…
Ive also thought about a modification like this… get them fat fingers clear out of the way!
IMG_2093.jpeg
IMG_1228.jpeg
IMG_2090.jpeg

I have a Pietta Remington 1858 Sheriffs Model that I plan on reshaping the front of the grip frame as shown in a YouTube video by Lame Beaver Trading Company. It's the one titled "Pietta Remington Sheriffs Model Modifications." It starts with some chamfering of the cylinder then shows changing the profile of the grip frame and wood at the front for more knuckle room. He uses a drill press with sanding drums to do the cutting then smooths and finishes everything up. It looks like the best method for a more comfortable grip to me. Right now, I'm using the little finger under the bottom grip to help keep my middle knuckle clear.

I compared my large frame Pietta with my old Santa Barbara and there is a very obvious size difference and the Pietta is noticeably heavier. There is more space between the trigger guard and grip frame on the Pietta. The Pietta's balance isn't as nice as the Santa Barbara's is.

My nipple wrench will not work on this cylinder; its too wide
When I need to remove the nipples on any of my cap & ball revolvers, I take the cylinder out and put 2 dowels that fit the chamber in them. Then clamp the dowels in my vise. Makes getting the nipples out a cinch without any marks to the frame or cylinder. Works especially well on those stubborn nipples.

I handled a pietta 1851 navy last weekend and automatically put my pinky under the grip. must be second nature from shootng 1858s but it felt right. My single shot trapper has the trigger guard hook for your middle finger so that is actually a very similer grip to the pinky under the butt with a revolver.

I have a Pietta Remington 1858 Sheriffs Model that I plan on reshaping the front of the grip frame as shown in a YouTube video by Lame Beaver Trading Company. It's the one titled "Pietta Remington Sheriffs Model Modifications." It starts with some chamfering of the cylinder then shows changing the profile of the grip frame and wood at the front for more knuckle room. He uses a drill press with sanding drums to do the cutting then smooths and finishes everything up. It looks like the best method for a more comfortable grip to me. Right now, I'm using the little finger under the bottom grip to help keep my middle knuckle clear.
I have a couple of the Uberti 36’s and one Pietta Shooters Model I may modify this way. I also picked up a trigger guard to be modified with a spur added. We’ll see how that goes.

Latest posts

Back