• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Bess question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riarcher

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking for a "everything" gun for plinking and hunting with both ball and shot. Since .75 cal is about 11ga. Seems it wouldbe just fine on geese with Bismouth. Something I can use for deer, rabbit, squirrell, pheasant, duck and about any thing I have a mind for. To adjust shot pattern homemade shotcups should inflict some choking (?). Am I thinking right so far?
Being a swamper, short and light is sweet.
Question;
For the above usage, would barrel length effect anything I should carefully consider?
Would a shorter barrel prefer a 3F?
Three that I'm thinking of are;
1)Pedersoli Trade gun with the 30 1/2" barrel (favored in my eye now)
2)Dixies Northwest Trade with a 36 1/2" barrel (but only 20 ga - questionable for duck/geese?)
3)Pedersoli 2nd model with their 42" barrel
Not really planning on any re-enactments so correctness isn't all important (function is)
Not so much after the Military Arms look. I'm wanting to make (alter) it look like something a farmer or hunter may have altered to suit their purpose with a "war surplus" arm (basterdized / sportsterized).
Anyone have any ideas if one would be best suited for this goal over anouther?
Anyone have any experiences with the Pedersoli Trade Gun?
Thanks,
Gary
PS; Is a .69 Cal. also about a 16 Ga.?

1)Pedersoli Trade gun with the 30 1/2" barrel (favored in my eye now)
2)Dixies Northwest Trade with a 36 1/2" barrel (but only 20 ga - questionable for duck/geese?)
3)Pedersoli 2nd model with their 42" barrel

4. Brown Bess Carbine, .75 Caliber
This variation of the Brown Bess was used by Cavalry and Artillery units of the period.
30" barrel length, 47.5" overall length, .735 round ball, 7 lb. 11 oz.
NApg19B.jpg

Just like me to add another log to the fire... :winking:

The actual (nominal) bore diameters of the various gauges are as follows:
10 gauge = .775 inch,
12 gauge = .729 inch,
16 gauge = .662 inch,
20 gauge = .615 inch,
28 gauge = .550 inch.
The .410 is named for its nominal bore size, and is not a gauge at all.

The .69 caliber is (more-or-less a 14 gauge)

Another that might be of interest, is the 1777 Artillery Carbine the French made and used in your revolution. it's intresting that this carbine was used, however the model 1777 Charleville wasn't. The Charleville used, was the 1st model of 1763 along with the E'tienne model of 1728/46. The early Chrleville didn't have the brass pan that the later '77 had, and became the US Model 1795. These were all .69's. Appropriate wads are available at Trackofthewolf as what appear to be marvelous prices, especially for the Walters (Waters?) Vegetable fibre wads.
: The India Pattern Bess had a 39" barrel while the Seaservice musket had a 37". These would be much preferred over the lighter, shorter barrels, I believe. My bro shoots trap quite well with his 1728 Bess with it's 46" bl. The nicest thing is your swing is perfect - someting a flinter NEEDS.
Daryl

Are there any "due considerations" that I shouldbe aware of concerning barrel lengths? Would the shortie be just as effective as the longer ones?

Are there any "due considerations" that I should be aware of concerning barrel lengths? Would the shotie be just as effective as the longer ones?

I have a 42 inch barrel, and I noticed that when I swing the gun on game in the woods, the longer barrel snags on branches and saplings more so than the shorter ones...

If you are hunting in marsh lands, this might not pose a concern, unless there is tall reeds and marsh grass...

You can tweak a few more fps out of the longer barrels, the powder has more time in barrel to burn, but the results are usually too small to notice without ballistic measuring equiptment...

Back