the battle of new Orleans buried?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Eutycus

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I have read abou Santa Anna doing that.Do you know if bodies were ever recovered from the river. Just was talking to an archeoligist at Wilson creek a few weeks ago. Federal dead were put in to one of two sink holes. After the war in one of the sink holes the bodies were exhumed and buried at Springfield, but the outher has not been found. A fw years ago another did was done at the sinkhole and parts of five men were found, to be buried together with their brothers at arms.
Local history has Santa Anna burning the bodies after the battle of the Alamo on funeral pyres, One layer of logs,then one layer of bodies,then repeat the process.That's the story of what He did to the Alamo defenders. What he did with his own soldiers is anyone's guess. They were most likely, burned up too. The area around San Antonio isn't known for its forests, so where did the logs come from?

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I wonder if they buried them at sea? On the American side, I thought only one or two were killed and that from a cannon mishap.

You may be thinking about the surrender of Ft. Sumter in April 1861..
You are correct about the almost non-existent American casualties at New Orleans from gun and cannon fire, though.
I’m sure they lost many more to illness and disease.

Reaction score
Saw this about Packingham:

So who really knows.

Reaction score

So who really knows.
An Irishman pickled in rum. That’s just so wrong 😱

Red Owl

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I thought we killed something like 6,000 of the British and we had no deaths except one or two from a mishap. I am, confused. Did the British win the battle? I thought we won?

Reaction score
Amazingly enough, the British retreated as best the could, hoping to find rest and succor in Mobile. Unfortunately, the American navy was there, possibly waiting for them. They proceeded further East, and when the commander of British forces learned from his scouts that the Spanish, who had landed in Pensacola, we’re headed they’re way, they took refuge on Dauphin Island. According to accounts at the museum there, it was a miserable stay for the soldiers and the roughly 200 American prisoners they had picked up along the way. It took a year before a British warship could deliver the news that the war was, in fact over (they would not believe the Americans, who showed up after the treaty of Ghent was signed). In February 1816 the prisoners were finally returned, and the Brits sailed away!

Reaction score

So who really knows.
Gen. Pakenham was the brother-in-law of Arthur Wellesley who became the Duke of Wellington. Pakenham was 36 years old when he died.

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
TOUSCHE, POINT TAKEN. my mistake. now I remember, that in the BRITISH NAVY, each man got a daily ration of RUM! I think that is why so many were in the NAVY? don't know if the ARMY got one or not?

Reaction score
As I remember, the ditch they dug in front of the American Defense line was only three to four feet deep, because they hit the water table.

If they buried the fallen British Soldiers, I'm thinking they would have had to find at least a small hill around there to dig the graves deep enough.

Gus

stephenprops1

40 Cal
Reaction score
I thought we killed something like 6,000 of the British and we had no deaths except one or two from a mishap. I am, confused. Did the British win the battle? I thought we won?
Where did you get those numbers? I believe the British losses were considerably less than what you state. Also, there were a few more American losses than you have stated here. Yes, the Americans won that battle.

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
As I remember, the ditch they dug in front of the American Defense line was only three to four feet deep, because they hit the water table.

If they buried the fallen British Soldiers, I'm thinking they would have had to find at least a small hill around there to dig the graves deep enough.

Gus
sort of like land in FLORIDA, houses have no foundations, because if you dig down 2 feet you hit water!! that is why they are built on cement slabs!

Reaction score
Where was the American and British dead buried at? I was watching on the history channel the first invasion the war of 1812 and it got me wondering where was the dead buried at? Thanka
Found this grave of an 1812 veteran while searching for war between the states graves a couple of years ago. Sadly it is in a blackberry thicket.

Attachments

• 0210211304.jpg
    0210211304.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 32

Youngblood

40 Cal
Reaction score
Me too Flint62smoothy. I dont know why, its just the forgotten war for me but im trying. Lots of failures trying to hit canada and a good showing from US on the sea.

Its the cannuks favorite war to claim they beat us, though most of them were american born. Odd. The brits barely count it as a war. Our best land victory happens after its over.

Brits were “impressing” our boys into their navy so we go to war, then they end their european world war so we go “oh crap” we better end this before they really try hard.

Weird one.

Latest posts