• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The Baltimore antique firearms show

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Timonium Fair Grounds just outside of Balmore. I went for the first time. It was a nice show. I picked up a San Marco Walker. Unfired.
Often, besides the antique guns, there is often a good selection of second-hand custom contemporary rifles/smooth bores for sale.

Rick

That is too cool! What a neat and SIMPLE idea! I may just add one to the custom LH'd matchlock I am making for myself, for hunting.
Hi Flint

Here is a good photo of two Omani matchlocks showing both the solid and perforated tubes.

Rick

1679323122072.png
1679323122072.png

Rick, are those the triggers just below the windings of match cord? Not sure how these work.
Hi Bill

Yes, those are the triggers. Squeezing the trigger slow or fast will lower the serpentine and match cord slower or faster. Releasing the trigger allows the serpentine to snap back away from the pan. The Ottoman and India matchlocks operate the same. As well as the lever style of European matchlocks.

Rick

Has anyone seen a similar spare match holding device on European matchlocks?
Well I cant recall one & I look at them Did you notice a gold or silver poincion like inlay on the barrel most all such fine barrels appear to have one evidently missing poinicion like if it was gold ? & robbed out .very curious thing. if there's any calligraphy it generally says some thing like ' The work of Acmed' He made it for the Victory of the Gods' 'Or Aid & support come from God' ' Victory is near ' or some such . The beautifully ornate barrels as Rick says are often found in basic even rough stocks ..more curious stuff for us to puzzle over .
.Regards Rudyard

Rick, thank you. It is so incredibly simple. Assume the pan is opened manually on these. Boy, that match isn't far away from the powder, is it?
I think the simplicity and easy low cost of the design is one reason they were so long in use. There is really nothing to go wrong with the mechanism itself. Yes, the pan covers (if they have one - some did not) open manually.

As for the match cord being close to the pan: The Japanese snapping matchlocks are the worst. The serpentine and match cord sit VERY close to the pan. You want to make sure you are aiming down range at your target before moving the pan cover. Otherwise it's easy for a stray coal from the match to accidentally drop in the pan and the gun go off when you're not expecting it. Talking from experience. LOL

Rick

Latest posts

Back