• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The "Anyone winter camping?"<-- Winter camping, Winter camping ideas, photos, plans... Please read 1st post before posting.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I got the Video clips together, I'm no cameraman nor a vary good editor & sound was terrible so I just ran some background music over it all. (I guess 45 years of Ghosting through the woods alone, I have learned to only whisper to myself when I talk at all :dunno: ) Next Video I'll try to speak up!!! Anyway here it is.

https://rumble.com/ve7vkv-overnight-winter-campout-feb.-2021.html
Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed that video. Was snow brought into the tent on your clothing a factor in not staying warm enough? Lack of calories consumed before bedding down?

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed that video. Was snow brought into the tent on your clothing a factor in not staying warm enough? Lack of calories consumed before bedding down?

I think the big thing was when my foot slipped out of the blankets, I woke up and couldn't feel 3 of my toes, not much room for a fat old man to sit up and rub blood back into his foot, so by the time I was done I had been out of the covers and brushing against the frosty tent a lot, I was chilled all over and there really isn't a lot of room for mistakes like that in winter camping. Maybe my 2nd mistake was sticking to our diet, I think in the whole day I ate

1 cup cooked oatmeal with some dried fruit & black coffee Around 6 Am
an orange Around noon
2 hard boiled eggs & a strip of beef jerky with black coffee maybe 4:30 pm

Clearly not carb loading for the night.

3:30 seems early but my job has me up that early maybe 80-100 days a year. . . .I can't really sleep much past 5AM in my own bed, so uncomfortable & Cold at 3:30 I knew my odds of getting back to sleep were slight. . . .might just as well start coffee and move around to get warm.

I don't think the snow in the tent was a factor at all. . . .it was never warm enough to melt so nothing was wet, I slept with one blanket folded in thirds under me and it insolated so well the snow under the tent where I slept showed no signs of melting. . .just crushed down where I slept on it.

Last edited:
I think the big thing was when my foot slipped out of the blankets, I woke up and couldn't feel 3 of my toes, not much room for a fat old man to sit up and rub blood back into his foot, so by the time I was done I had been out of the covers and brushing against the frosty tent a lot, I was chilled all over and there really isn't a lot of room for mistakes like that in winter camping. Maybe my 2nd mistake was sticking to our diet, I think in the whole day I ate

1 cup cooked oatmeal with some dried fruit & black coffee Around 6 Am
an orange Around noon
2 hard boiled eggs & a strip of beef jerky with black coffee maybe 4:30 pm

Clearly not carb loading for the night.

3:30 seems early but my job has me up that early maybe 80-100 days a year. . . .I can't really sleep much past 5AM in my own bed, so uncomfortable & Cold at 3:30 I knew my odds of getting back to sleep were slight. . . .might just as well start coffee and move around to get warm.

I don't think the snow in the tent was a factor at all. . . .it was never warm enough to melt so nothing was wet, I slept with one blanket folded in thirds under me and it insolated so well the snow under the tent where I slept showed no signs of melting. . .just crushed down where I slept on it.
Carb loading is too slow and inefficient. We used to take a swig of cooking oil (gross I know) and eat half a Hershey bar just before crawling into the tent.
I wouldn't necessarily recommend this exact practice, but, following the high calorie, low carb/high easily digestible fat, model, might be worth a try.

And before anyone starts in on me,,, the "lipid theory" has been disproved over and over again.
Please don't ruin Sean's second attempt at this topic with a bunch of, "what about cholesterol/your arteries," nonsense.

Carb loading is too slow and inefficient. We used to take a swig of cooking oil (gross I know) and eat half a Hershey bar just before crawling into the tent.
I wouldn't necessarily recommend this exact practice, but, following the high calorie, low carb/high easily digestible fat, model, might be worth a try.

When I was young I would make a highly fat marbled jerky with the fat on the edge not trimmed off, just for winter camping, but back then I got out several weekends every winter, it had such high fat content it had to be stored in the freezer or it would sour even though it was fully jerked.

If I get out again this winter, Here in Colorado we can experience winter through May easily just by going higher up :) I'll change my food intake and see if it changes anything other than my damn waist line.

Slept like a baby.....

22156239-8-E0-F-4795-8360-DE110382-BA5-A.jpg

3-DC31-BB8-D0-FA-45-B0-98-D4-B24-E96-B034-AA.jpg

I did wake up once as my left atrium raced past my aortic valve!

But soon slid back into a deep sleep!

Hard to beat a good fire cooked meal on a cold night.
I usually just turn in early too conserve firewood.
My bed is a combination of modern sleeping bags and wool blankets , depending on the circumstances...

The last thing I do is adjust the thermostat on my Big Buddy Heater just before squirreling away for the night... Happy Trails!

Elk don’t know how many feet a horse has....

Sometimes a thread is irrevocably lost to a different discussion. People just want to talk about the other thing more than the original topic, "Anyone winter camping?" seems to have gone that road.
That's fine, these things happen, but I want to have a thread that is about Winter Camping. So I thought I would let those who want to have the other talk have that thread, and start fresh here.

If you would be so kind, please allow this thread to (as much as possible) Stay on the topic of Winter Camping. Thanks Sean

So!
Who has gotten in a winter camp this year?

Who is still planning one?

Winter camp photos?
I mostly camp only in winter, less creepy crawly nasties around in winter. I only use one pure wool blanket, but carry a spare woolen shirt, a second woolen waistcoat, & a Monmouth cap. I also wear or carry a half-blanket.
Snow Walk for trek video 17-7-2015 003.JPG2.JPG LARGE3.JPG

Regards, Keith.

Went camping last Friday on the desert. 70's during the day upper 40's at night. Friday was nice and the night was mostly calm. Saturday was also good but the wind picked up to about 20 knots late afternoon. Blew all night with gusts to about 30. I sleep on a cot with a heavy bag in the wind, I do better that way. I cook off the tailgate of my truck on an old coleman stove. The whole trip was good except for flat going out. I used to change a flat in about twenty minutes but due to age it took over an hour. Seems everything got heavier and less cooperative. All in all it was a decent outing.

The whole trip was good except for flat going out. I used to change a flat in about twenty minutes but due to age it took over an hour. Seems everything got heavier and less cooperative. All in all it was a decent outing.

When I started Truck driving I could throw on a set of chains in 20 minutes. . . . . . .now I stop half way through for lunch 🙄

☃ You know I remember taking my boys ice fishing MANY times and doing all the hard work and carrying everything when they got cold & whiney . . . . . . . . 👴🏻 seems like it's time for the tables to turn. . . They can carry all the EXTRA stuff I think I need to be comfortable, while I doddle along behind complaining about my boots being untied again. 😄

Wow, you guys make me feel soft. At 70 my idea of roughing is using the generator in the RV. Seriously I can see the appeal of getting out in the cold to test one's self, just haven't done it in 50 years. I'm lucky and live in the woods in a park like setting so I just have to step out the door. I do enjoy reading about other's cold weather camping adventures, feels like I'm back participating in the Klondike Derby, a Boy Scout Winter Camporee.

Great looking camp Yew,

You got a secret recipe for those yard birds?
They look delicious!

How’d you shoot?

Smo, i shot good! Heck i didn’t even loose or break any of my cedars! Now as to the secret recipe...it’s a secret of the clubs...and...well i only helped mix it up once lol! We mix it up, put chicken in 5gal buckets and dump the solution in then in the fridge overnight. We also strain the solution to spray on the birds which are cooking over oak coals. I will show you our chicken pit...
CAFC4BDD-2690-4524-8DB4-F3CBCEA8EBE0.jpeg
0B8B8343-2793-4FE3-A19F-5621B134C4F2.jpeg

Oh i forgot...thanks smo!!!

I’ll see about the recipe and if i can give it out...after i get it. Might be awhile since this club is 2 3/4 hrs away and don’t get there much.

Thanks Yew, don’t worry about the recipe.... I was really just wanting too know how you did at the match..

That’s a nice set up for sure.
Y’all got hot & cold running water?lol

Here’s a club I belong to, it’s about 3,hours away as well...

F32ACCA0-CC37-4254-83FA-43DE3F11F0AC.jpeg

F1-C18-FF4-C4-D2-48-CB-B52-A-6187-A91-CF9-D1.jpg

Pavilion & bath house ( Ladies & Men’s) separate of course.

Smo, very nice and you have showers! Were working on the shower set up lol! Last year we did a make shift one and it worked ok. I would get up early so i had hot water as we only have a tiny water heater. Hopefully by the fall shoot we will have a big water heater and 2 showers...fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back