• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The Alamo cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, the archaeologist Bob Moses died while still a pretty young man... He had some very detailed research notes and so on about his attempts to locate the battlefield, which to date remain un-published.

Somewhat ironically, I've been trying to help a young man whose WWII veteran grandfather--since passed--found what may have been a 12-pounder ball at La Villita way back in 1939 or 1940... No idea what ever became of the cannon ball. Probably in a private collection.

Dad had some lead shot in his collection but all of it was from a site west of Poteet on the Atascosa river at one of the several Camino Real crossing.
They live on several occassions beginning in the depression, in those blackjacks west of Leming. ( my great aunt was the postmistress for years in Leming) but they never mentioned finding anything other than the usual stuff like flint projectile points. But you know how that sand is there in that encinal. Deep!!!! And always hiding it’s secrets.

Thanks Dave for the info. I didn't stop off at the library today as planned. I'll do that Thursday. Not sure which Woodrick book to get. There a couple of them that look pretty interesting. Which would you recommend?

From that list I'd say the Mexican Army did not have that huge Seige Gun that was depicted in John Wayne's Alamo. It seems the artillery was fairly evenly matched on both sides. Though I'm sure the Mexicans had more ammunition for theirs.

Last edited:
Actually, many Mexicano Centralist officers tried to urge Lopez de Santa Anna to delay his attack, thinking that food shortages, disease outbreaks, and the increasing hopelessness of the beleaguered defenders along with a lengthier bombardment-- supplemented by those 12-pounders en route--would force unconditional surrender. Instead, he sought a quicker victory, knowing that a victory would play better in Mexico City and within political circles.

There are any number of things in the two main Alamo movies (as well as the largely forgotten silent versions, one of which had literally every single defender wearing coonskin caps!), 1960 and 2004 that are erroneous. In John Wayne's epic, the replica Alamo chapel built out in Bracketville actually faced the opposite direction of the original so they could have better light, particularly in the morning. There is no evidence that among the 800+ firelocks seized by the Centralists that one of them was a 7-barrel Nock volley-fire gun for instance! o_O

Thanks Dave for the info. I didn't stop off at the library today as planned. I'll do that Thursday. Not sure which Woodrick book to get. There a couple of them that look pretty interesting. Which would you recommend?
Availability may well be an issue! Put in an intra-library loan request with your librarian and see which ones can get to you first...

That huge monument, the Cenotaph, in front of the Alamo contains the names of the defenders .There are two names ( Asa and Jacob Walker) that may or may not be my wife's uncles. We're still checking into that.

DaveC,

You may know this already, most all the firearms the principles used in the 1960 version came from a San Antonio gun collector by the name of S P Stevens. He was quite a character. Nice fellow too. One of the founding members of the Texas Gun Collectors Association, I believe.

Getting back to the cannon build, here's the latest from Michael (the builder). The Barrel will be mounted at the Alamo, when the Carriage is delivered. The assembled cannon must be on the display site, and all equipment gone by the opening time of the Alamo on the delivery date.

The carriage will be finished totally by tomorrow.
It will weigh close to 1600 lbs.
It is in my carport getting touch up paint by my lovely assistant right now.

I am trying to set up a delivery date of 7/16. I should have confirmation of that by tomorrow.

If I can roll it out, I will get pictures of it in my driveway. I figure the back of the trail weighs close to 300 lbs.
I have to lift that onto a furniture dolly to be able to move it.
I can lift it with my engine hoist.

The trailer I'm hauling it on has a winch.

Of coarse, I'll get plenty of pictures of the barrel installation.

Stay tuned!
Zulu

Last edited:
Ok, here's a couple pics of the finished carriage.
One thing to note about his work: All the bolts, screws, etc. are "Clocked" to align, which gives you an idea of just how meticulous he is. It's pretty rare to see this kind of quality in anything these days.

Just to give you an idea of how big this sucker is:

standard.jpg

That's his wife on the left. She does all the painting for his builds.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Although he did a fine job of making that carriage I think it is going to look more than a little bit out of place once the very aged barrel is mounted on it.
Kinda like a rusty original Model A engine mounted in a brand new shiny metallic candy apple red T bucket.:eek:

Maybe the plan is to "antique" the carriage so it looks like it is at least 100 years old? Like some rusty iron wheel rims and reinforcing straps and a whole lot of paint fading and dirt and such would help the two parts blend together better IMO.

Maybe the plan is to "antique" the carriage so it looks like it is at least 100 years old? Like some rusty iron wheel rims and reinforcing straps and a whole lot of paint fading and dirt and such would help the two parts blend together better IMO.

That would be up to the Alamo, and I have no idea what they plan to do after they take possession.

Gunny was right when he said " a contract is a contract". And Michael did a great job in fulfilling it. But I do hope someone at the Alamo comes up with some sort of a plan to "age" this carriage a little. The old cannon and the new carriage just don't look right. But it will probably look the part in some--odd years down the road.

Gunny was right when he said " a contract is a contract". And Michael did a great job in fulfilling it. But I do hope someone at the Alamo comes up with some sort of a plan to "age" this carriage a little. The old cannon and the new carriage just don't look right. But it will probably look the part in some--odd years down the road.

Another way to look at this, is that the carriage is merely the display stand for the barrel. From the Alamo's perspective, the barrel is the historical artifact, not the carriage. Better than just having the barrel lying on the ground by itself or strapped to a pallet.

A common and perfect example of this, are all those pristine Sherman and Patton tanks, and assorted artillery pieces you see parked in front of practically every Armory. You never see a battle damaged tank with it's turret blown off minus tracks, and with blood stains all over it.

No different in essence than the display I made for a couple of my antique guns and other stuff. ;)

Haai900.jpg

Last edited:
Back