• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The Adventures of Captain Bonneville, USA...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I meant to post this under Primary Documentation.

I've had this book in my collection for years but never got around to reading it. Since his rank was listed in the title I had assumed it was associated with a military campaign (nothing wrong with that, I usually prefer reading journals of mountaineers). I finally decided to read it.

I could not have been more wrong in my assumption. While there was interest from the military on the findings of his journey, it is packed with great information/documentation on mountain men, native tribes and events from the fur trade era. I've read quite a few journals from this era. I would put this up there with some of my favorites.

The knife was included in the pic for a "Knives and Books" thread from another site.
..62 Smoothbore Flintlock Grouse Hunt 007.JPG

Last edited:
That one is new to me too. pab 1, I’m going to go broke buying these great books you bring up.

I prefer a real book but if you don't mind reading on an electronic device you can read Captain Bonneville and many other books at the Library of the Western Fur Trade Historical Society site for free.

Some of my favorite books they have on that site are Warren Angus Ferris Life in the Rocky Mountains, Zenas Leonard Narrative of the Adventures of Zenas Leonard, George Frederick Ruxton Wild Life in the Rocky Mountains, Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper and Rufus Sage Rocky Mountain Life.

Back