• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The 9 Shot Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm reading a book, written by Edwin Bryant. The book, entitled ROCKY MOUNTAIN ADVENTURES was printed in 1888 by WORTHINGTON CO. 747 BROADWAY, NY making it 132 years old. It is a compilation of several books that were written earlier by Mr. Bryant and the part I'm reading now is his telling of a day to day narrative on his trip from St. Louis to California. This trip started in early May, 1846. Three months into the voyage on August 1, the author writes:

"Morning clear, with a delightfully soft breeze from the south. I purchased, this morning, of one of the Utahs, a dressed grisly bear-skin, for which I gave him twenty charges of powder and twenty bullets. Several other small trades were made with them by our party. Having determined to cross a range of the mountains, instead of following to avoid it, the shore of another cove or bay of the Salt Lake, - by doing which we should lose in distance twenty five or thirty miles,- we laid our course nearly west, towards the lowest gap we could discover in the range.
After we had proceeded two or three miles up the sloping plain, towards the base of the mountains, Colonel Russel recollected that he had left his rifle at the camp-- a "nine-shooter,"
Accompanied by Miller, he returned back to recover it. I was very well satisfied that the Indians would have discovered it, and, considering it a valuable prize, would not wait for the return of the loser. According to their code of morals, it is not dishonest to take what is left in camp, and they never fail to do it. I halted for an hour, and long after our party had disappeared in a gorge of the mountains, for the return of Colonel Russell and Miller. I could see, from my elevated position the dust raised by the horses of the retreating Indians on the plain, at a distance of six or eight miles from the camp. Becoming impatient, I commenced a countermarch, and while moving on, I saw, at a distance of a mile and a half, a solitary horseman, surging his animal with great speed towards me, there being but one instead of two, I felt considerable anxiety, not knowing but some disaster might have occurred. I moved faster towards the horseman, and at the distance of a quarter of a mile, discovered that it was Colonel Russell. Riding towards him, I inquired what had become of Miller? He did not know. He had lost him in hunting through the willows and ravines. My anxiety was much increased at this report, and I started to return to the camp, when Miller, proceeding at a slow gate, appeared on one of the distant elevations. The result of the search for the "nine-shooting" rifle was fruitless. The Indians had carried it away with them. The only consolation I could offer to Colonel Russell for his loss was, that a more useless burden was never carried on the shoulders of man or mule. It was a weight upon the beast, and an incumbrance to the rider, and of no practical utility on this journey. This consolation however, was not very soothing.

[I will state here, that this rifle was recovered by Mr. Hadspeth, brought into California and returned to Colonel Russell. The Indian who took it from our camp, after he had returned to the village of his tribe, was much elated by his prize. But in discharging it, the ball, instead of making its passage through the barrel, took another direction, and wounded him in the leg. An instrument so mysterious and eccentric it was considered dangerous to retain, and the chief ordered its restoration to the emigrant parties following us. It was recognised by Mr. Hudspeth, and returned to its owner, as above stated.]"

After I read this, I thought the rifle might be one of the early Patterson Colts Rifles and checking thru FLAYDERMANS GUIDE, I found they were made in 1837-1841 which would have made them available to Colonel Russell. On the negative side of things though, it seems that all of the "ring lever Colt revolving rifles" were 8 or 10 shot guns.

I then remembered the Harmonica Rifles. These repeating rifles had their loads in a rectangular block of iron that slid sideways thru the frame and they were first made in the 1830's thru the 1850's by several different companies including one run Jonathan Browning.
They were made with many different numbers of shots, including a 9 shot version.

1594508378337.png

Last edited:
An interesting adventure with a unique gun! In addition to it possibly being a harmonica rifle, it might also have been a Cochran or Porter turret rifle, which were available in 9 shot versions ..... or maybe even a Miller patent revolving rifle

Ibtresident, I would think chain fires, as described in the journal of the native shooting himself in the leg, what ever type or make of rifle I would assume a chain fire incident.

I'm reading a book, written by Edwin Bryant. The book, entitled ROCKY MOUNTAIN ADVENTURES was printed in 1888 by WORTHINGTON CO. 747 BROADWAY, NY making it 132 years old. It is a compilation of several books that were written earlier by Mr. Bryant and the part I'm reading now is his telling of a day to day narrative on his trip from St. Louis to California. This trip started in early May, 1846. Three months into the voyage on August 1, the author writes:

"Morning clear, with a delightfully soft breeze from the south. I purchased, this morning, of one of the Utahs, a dressed grisly bear-skin, for which I gave him twenty charges of powder and twenty bullets. Several other small trades were made with them by our party. Having determined to cross a range of the mountains, instead of following to avoid it, the shore of another cove or bay of the Salt Lake, - by doing which we should lose in distance twenty five or thirty miles,- we laid our course nearly west, towards the lowest gap we could discover in the range.
After we had proceeded two or three miles up the sloping plain, towards the base of the mountains, Colonel Russel recollected that he had left his rifle at the camp-- a "nine-shooter,"
Accompanied by Miller, he returned back to recover it. I was very well satisfied that the Indians would have discovered it, and, considering it a valuable prize, would not wait for the return of the loser. According to their code of morals, it is not dishonest to take what is left in camp, and they never fail to do it. I halted for an hour, and long after our party had disappeared in a gorge of the mountains, for the return of Colonel Russell and Miller. I could see, from my elevated position the dust raised by the horses of the retreating Indians on the plain, at a distance of six or eight miles from the camp. Becoming impatient, I commenced a countermarch, and while moving on, I saw, at a distance of a mile and a half, a solitary horseman, surging his animal with great speed towards me, there being but one instead of two, I felt considerable anxiety, not knowing but some disaster might have occurred. I moved faster towards the horseman, and at the distance of a quarter of a mile, discovered that it was Colonel Russell. Riding towards him, I inquired what had become of Miller? He did not know. He had lost him in hunting through the willows and ravines. My anxiety was much increased at this report, and I started to return to the camp, when Miller, proceeding at a slow gate, appeared on one of the distant elevations. The result of the search for the "nine-shooting" rifle was fruitless. The Indians had carried it away with them. The only consolation I could offer to Colonel Russell for his loss was, that a more useless burden was never carried on the shoulders of man or mule. It was a weight upon the beast, and an incumbrance to the rider, and of no practical utility on this journey. This consolation however, was not very soothing.

[I will state here, that this rifle was recovered by Mr. Hadspeth, brought into California and returned to Colonel Russell. The Indian who took it from our camp, after he had returned to the village of his tribe, was much elated by his prize. But in discharging it, the ball, instead of making its passage through the barrel, took another direction, and wounded him in the leg. An instrument so mysterious and eccentric it was considered dangerous to retain, and the chief ordered its restoration to the emigrant parties following us. It was recognised by Mr. Hudspeth, and returned to its owner, as above stated.]"

After I read this, I thought the rifle might be one of the early Patterson Colts Rifles and checking thru FLAYDERMANS GUIDE, I found they were made in 1837-1841 which would have made them available to Colonel Russell. On the negative side of things though, it seems that all of the "ring lever Colt revolving rifles" were 8 or 10 shot guns.

I then remembered the Harmonica Rifles. These repeating rifles had their loads in a rectangular block of iron that slid sideways thru the frame and they were first made in the 1830's thru the 1850's by several different companies including one run Jonathan Browning.
They were made with many different numbers of shots, including a 9 shot version.

I love reading old diaries and journals from the 1800s through the early 1900s.
It must have been a wonderful time to be alive. Especially for adventure and adrenaline junkies. I rode a couple thousand miles out in MT, WY, SD, CR, IO, CA, and picked up a few reprints of old books from places like Bannak and Deadwood. I know hurtling down a paved highway with a gold card in your pocket isn't the same as striking off into the unknown in a wagon with a Muzzleloader but I hit a mountain pass in Bridger MT and storm chased me about 100 miles till it caught me on a prairie and let me have it with horizontal winds, heavy rain and some marble size hail to finish it off and I got a whole new respect for the kind of life the settlers chose.
KIMG0490.jpeg
IMG_3492.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if it could have been a Nock rifle, I believe that's the spelling, it was a volley shot that the American Marines had,maybe wrong time period

Not sure how my reply ended up in the middle of that post. Damn these huge fingers! My brother once said "your hand looked like a bunch of bananas. "
My kid said "those fingers are so big I bet they got gutts!"

As a side note to the 9 shot rifle, earlier in the book the author mentions that the Donner party was among the members in the wagon train he was a part of.

Shortly before the adventure I quoted above, he, Colonel Russell and several others decided the speed the wagon train was moving was too slow so they traded their wagon, yokes of oxen and a lot of their unnecessary stuff for some mules to ride and to pack with the necessary things they would need. The wagons were making 10 to 12 miles per day on a good day. After switching to the mules, the author and his friends were making over 20 miles a day.

They had heard of a newly discovered route that went around the south end of the Salt Lake and they decided to try it. That explains his reference to the lake and why they were in the area he is describing. While on this southern route, several times he mentions coming across the trail that was left by Fremont.

History seems to say he and his friends made a good decision. Had he remained with the Donner party with his slow ox drawn wagon, he might have suffered the same fate as them.

Back