• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

The .62 rifle took a 2022 deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The young family man I gave this deer to sent me this photo of the deer after he butchered it last night. Nothing went to waste. The boned out ribs were pressure cooked into a hearty broth.

Attachments

• 02A42486-A588-49F5-84B4-445F2DAD6F51.jpeg
    02A42486-A588-49F5-84B4-445F2DAD6F51.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 6592544F-E79D-4B15-8478-2205D082CD7E.jpeg
    6592544F-E79D-4B15-8478-2205D082CD7E.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
congratulations on your success.. in the field.... Any animal taken with a rifle like that and with the story like yours... is a trophy I don't even look at him like a button buck...I look at him like a sandwich

Our ‘Pre-Rut Antlerless’ season was two weekends ago and I missed it 😔. I always take my muzzleloader out during that time (used to be a .40 percussion, now my .58 flinter). It might’ve turned out for the best as I took a nice buck with my bow on that property a few days later.

Our ‘Pre-Rut Antlerless’ season was two weekends ago and I missed it 😔. I always take my muzzleloader out during that time (used to be a .40 percussion, now my .58 flinter). It might’ve turned out for the best as I took a nice buck with my bow on that property a few days later.
I hear you. Never enough hunting time, and even when we are successful at it, we lament the other opportunities we missed. We are a funny bunch, but we are also living full lives, immersed in our planet and all its good stuff. Congratulations on your archery success

might want to change or 'fit' the nipple to the cap. sounds like the first try seats the cap and the second fires it. mark is a great. guy and does great work
Ok I’ll take that advice, thank you. It also seems to happen when I don’t give the trigger a good pull. Not sure how the mechanics work on that, but it seems like the equivalent of limp wristing a handgun (flintlock of course) and getting a stovepipe (I’m talking about the octagon barrel here). Glad to hear your opinion about Mark. The few times I’ve seen him in the past two years, I’ve announced that “Mark is still my president.” I think he’s still president of the MLA.

Many years ago I bought a couple of rifles .62 barrels and a couple of 90% inletted stocks. You guys are making me get the urge to pull them back out and finish them.

Nice job on the gun and taking that deer with it too.

Many years ago I bought a couple of rifles .62 barrels and a couple of 90% inletted stocks. You guys are making me get the urge to pull them back out and finish them.

Nice job on the gun and taking that deer with it too.
Highly recommend this caliber. Barrels aren’t getting any cheaper, and if you have one handy, you won’t regret having a gun with such high horsepower in your quiver. Thank you for crediting me with the lucky shot. Mark Wheland made the gun.

Congrats on the deer.

FWIW, I second the previous poster's idea about the nipple possibly not allowing the cap to fully seat until it's whacked by the hammer. That would be the first thing I'd check.

If that doesn't fix it, Brad Emig at Cabin Creek Muzzleloaders recently fixed for me a percussion Siler lock that was in need of a new bridle and sear. He had it fixed in 2 days from when he received it, and I had it back in about one and a half weeks from the time I mailed it to him. He did a complete tune on the lock and it looked brand new inside when I got it back. I could not be happier with his work.

I love the smaller young deer, they taste much better than the older ones. Got myself a fawn one year. Didn't feel bad for taking such a young one as the season was any deer, and the region is not hurting for deer. Was the most tender meat I ever had, including veil. Could cut the meat with a fork.

.62 is a hell of a big ball, nothing on this continent it can't take down. Rifle looks good. No arguing with the results. I am guessing a complete pass through?

Hate to admit but I have been fooled before when hunting antlerless animals. Calf elk, although tall, will yield about 70lbs of boned out meat. And a fawn whitetail caught me will blowing a bleat call. Dressed at 17lbs on the hook. Yes, 17 pounds, no typo. Sigh. No spots on it though.
Walk

Latest posts

Back