• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The .62 is blooded

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the kind wishes you guys. Today turned out hot as blazes. After butchering yesterday’s doe, I went to suit up to hunt, and ended up in light pants and a tee shirt. Sweated the entire time, and not a thing was moving. Gotta be real tough to be a bear or a deer wearing your winter coat in 75-degree sunny weather. So, that was today. Maybe tomorrow brings something better

Great job! Handsome rifle! Is your .62 a smooth bore?
Thank you for the compliment. This is a .62 caliber rifle. I know, I know, the .62 smoothbore fowler is a versatile, popular design. And when we say “it’s a .62” we usually mean it’s a smoothbore fowler. But this is a carefully designed rifle, with shallow cut rifling at a 1:72 pitch. Takes 120 grains of Swiss FFG to push the 335-grain round ball. It’s the hammer of Thor

Thank you for the compliment. This is a .62 caliber rifle. I know, I know, the .62 smoothbore fowler is a versatile, popular design. And when we say “it’s a .62” we usually mean it’s a smoothbore fowler. But this is a carefully designed rifle, with shallow cut rifling at a 1:72 pitch. Takes 120 grains of Swiss FFG to push the 335-grain round ball. It’s the hammer of Thor
I was curious!:) I have thought of a 20/62 Fowler but I would want it percussion instead of flint. So I was curious about your gun since it was percussion.

Update: I forgot to mention that when I butchered the doe this morning, I discovered that the ball had smashed its way completely through from stem to stern and out the seat of her pants. Broke her front shoulder, went through her entire gut, and through her femur and out the back of the ham. So it destroyed some meat, but the exit hole was so small I didn’t originally notice it, despite looking several times. The picture of her rear shows a tuft of hair sticking up. That’s the exit hole. No blood, no mess.

I was curious!:) I have thought of a 20/62 Fowler but I would want it percussion instead of flint. So I was curious about your gun since it was percussion.
Loja, if you look at my post history here, you can see the discussion about designing the gun several years ago, and then the finished product. People here are really nice and helpful, so if you have questions about how to design what you want, ask for ideas. Lot of knowledge on this website.

Update: I forgot to mention that when I butchered the doe this morning, I discovered that the ball had smashed its way completely through from stem to stern and out the seat of her pants. Broke her front shoulder, went through her entire gut, and through her femur and out the back of the ham. So it destroyed some meat, but the exit hole was so small I didn’t originally notice it, despite looking several times. The picture of her rear shows a tuft of hair sticking up. That’s the exit hole. No blood, no mess.

I'm glad I saw this follow up post, had a hard time believing a 300+ grain round ball would not exit a doe from almost any distance! Looks like a great hunt.

Latest posts

Back