• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The .50 Caliber Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burlesontom

.50 Cal
Reaction score
I found this video last night and was reminded of the power of a muzzle loading gun. This is the same guy that made the Gemmer Hawken build video series. Here he test 4 different projectiles from round ball to conicals. The old round ball gives a good accounting of its self which is probably no surprise to anyone here. I think the state of Colorado now requires at least a .54 caliber gun to hunt there. After watching this you have to wonder why? A .50 caliber looks like it should kill any animal you want to hunt with a BP rifle except maybe the largest African game.

I found this video last night and was reminded of the power of a muzzle loading gun. This is the same guy that made the Gemmer Hawken build video series. Here he test 4 different projectiles from round ball to conicals. The old round ball gives a good accounting of its self which is probably no surprise to anyone here. I think the state of Colorado now requires at least a .54 caliber gun to hunt there. After watching this you have to wonder why? A .50 caliber looks like it should kill any animal you want to hunt with a BP rifle except maybe the largest African game.

Funny about opinions of the lowly round ball. To spite what all the cartridge and inline guys keep telling me, my .490 balls keep dropping deer on the spot with one shot. From a crappy old hammer gun to boot. I guess I should stop using them though since a round ball can't kill a deer. At least that is what the super magnum inline guys that hunt across the road from me said when I ran into them on my property. They were looking for a deer they shot....

My only BP deer kill was with a $105 dollar Springfield Hawken kit from Bass Pro firing a .50 caliber ball. I was sitting on a stool in a hollowed out cedar tree and the deer got to 13 yards from me before I could shoot. I shot it square in the brisket and the ball took off the top of the heart then slid down the hide on the off side almost to the rump. I didn't find the flattened ball until I was skinning the deer.

The deer rared up like a spooked horse and fell on its side it got up rared up again and fell over and the hunt was over. A very decisive kill in my book. And best of all even at that range the meat loss was just a small handful at the entry of the ball. I still have the flattened ball.

I always get a kick out of the new shooters on the other forums I am on who want to know what what gun and round to start with that will let them make a 400 yard shot. My first thought is always, just learn to hunt and you will almost never need more than a 100 yard shot. Sure there are exceptions where you will do good to get within 200 yards but most aren't good enough shots to even make a 200 yard shot much less a 400 yard shot. But some of those guys can make the long range shots and have the targets and videos to prove it. I have made one 250 yard deer kill. The rest were 80 yards or less. I like the thrill of getting close. And getting close is even better with a BP rifle in my hands. Like my 40 yard elk kill.

I have already decided I am going to hunt this year with my BP rifles. At least at the start of the season.

Last edited:
The only reason I have a .54 is because that is what the $120 deal I got is barreled for. If I had been intentionally muzzleloader shopping I would've gotten a .50 - if only because it is *the* caliber for big box stores, and even for the ML specific online retailers there is simply a much larger selection of projectiles etc. in .50 than anything else.

Halfway-kinda-almost looking for a deal on a .50 to fall into...

I pretty much just shoot what I cast. I have several Lee molds for round ball and REAL bullets and in 45, 50 and 54 I also have Improved Minnie molds. I bought a bunch of lead way back when it was cheap so have that material on hand for casting. I just got a new furnace for melting lead. As soon as it cools down I am going to cast some 250gr REAL bullets in 50 caliber and some .375 for my new .36 caliber pistol. I just got both of those molds and want to try them out.

I think the 250gr REAL should work well in the couple of 1/60 twist rifles I have. Sort of like the short Hornady bullet shown in the video.

I think the state of Colorado now requires at least a .54 caliber gun to hunt there. After watching this you have to wonder why?

Just posting for clarification.

To hunt moose or elk it's a minimum 50 caliber with a projectile weighing a minimum of 210 grains. So, that puts a round ball shooter in the 54 range and the conical shooter in the 50 or larger range.

For all other big game it's a minimum 40 caliber and minimum 170 grain projectile. So, 50 round ball guns good for everything but moose and elk.

Just posting for clarification.

To hunt moose or elk it's a minimum 50 caliber with a projectile weighing a minimum of 210 grains. So, that puts a round ball shooter in the 54 range and the conical shooter in the 50 or larger range.

For all other big game it's a minimum 40 caliber and minimum 170 grain projectile. So, 50 round ball guns good for everything but moose and elk.

Thanks for the update. I doubt I will ever make it back to Colorado to hunt but thats good info to know. I shot my first elk with a Lee Improved Minnie at 40 yards from a .54 Cabelas Hawken. That bullet blew right through that elk and left a 3 finger exit hole on the off side of the chest. It ran 42 yards and crashed into a tree and fell over dead. I think it was just running dead on its hooves. Would a .50 conical have done as well? At that range I would suspect it would.

Fascinating video. I'm really surprised that the round ball out penetrated all the conicals. I found it interesting how "explosive" the bullets were in the water; hollow points, I guess, really do make a difference. Never have hunted with anything other than a round ball but NEVER found them wanting. All one shot kills even with a .45, my favorite. Also every ball I've retrieved from deer were flatter than the one in the video. All the way from .45, .50, .54 and .62, caliber make no difference. Again, that video was an eye opener.

Latest posts

Back