• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The ‘New” lathe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been setting up the big lathe and found that the flat belt from the idler shaft to the head would foul, slightly on the frame below the idler.
Simple solution, bolt in a new section and cut the middle out of the offending bit of frame., then put the new piece back, do up the bolts and all is right.

Wrong!!

When I cut the piece out the frame sprung outwards 3/8”, luckily I had a long clamp that would pull it in again ( a recent purchase at the monthly market for a few dollars).
A06FBF47-9AB2-444C-828B-D24D699744BA.jpegBEF69745-C9E4-4858-B347-55F75ED3AF7D.jpeg
However all well that ends wellB3E2D5AF-0B96-44A4-B4D4-03D7CA39976D.jpeg
The counter shaft will have to be set up again, one things for sure, l won’t be taking it apart:ghostly:

My piller drill fully geared has a brass plate on it stating it had been commandeered for war work being refurbished and rebuilt in 1942 . it was 50years old at that date ,90 odd years old and still less than quarter of a thou play in the shaft. Its jut a puppy next to my Elliot flat belt lathe still perfectly good at a150.

Latest posts

Back