• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

That nipple thingabob ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I occasionally look (and dream) at originals (BP rifles) and I see from time to time percussion rifles with a brass collar between the hammer and the nipple with the hammer down on the collar and a brass chain leading to the trigger guard (would that chain be noisy while still hunting?) ..
I had always assumed that it was to allow rifles/muskets to be carried loaded and capped and was a work around to have the cap in place for weapons with no half cock ..
Yet it has occurred to me that I am seeing on rifles that I know have half cocks ..or maybe they "once did" ??
Or maybe the weapon owner feels the collar-stop-guard--- or whatever it is called was both a better "safety" than half cock and in the bargain gets some added protection for the percussion cap ??

What other value does the above mentioned thingabob have that I have missed??

Bear

So I occasionally look (and dream) at originals (BP rifles) and I see from time to time percussion rifles with a brass collar between the hammer and the nipple with the hammer down on the collar and a brass chain leading to the trigger guard (would that chain be noisy while still hunting?) ..
I had always assumed that it was to allow rifles/muskets to be carried loaded and capped and was a work around to have the cap in place for weapons with no half cock ..
Yet it has occurred to me that I am seeing on rifles that I know have half cocks ..or maybe they "once did" ??
Or maybe the weapon owner feels the collar-stop-guard--- or whatever it is called was both a better "safety" than half cock and in the bargain gets some added protection for the percussion cap ??

Bear
Does it look something like this?
1665543649838.jpeg

Does it look something like this?
View attachment 167974
No sir but it might work .. so to use this one you replace the nipple with one fitted to the cap ..but it is a weather shield not intended to be practiced hammer stops .. then the next question is how carefully do you have to be pulling the cap off to shoot and not disturb the cap and then is one sized for 4 winged musket caps
Thanks
Bear

No sir but it might work .. so to use this one you replace the nipple with one fitted to the cap ..but it is a weather shield not intended to be practiced hammer stops .. then the next question is how carefully do you have to be pulling the cap off to shoot and not disturb the cap and then is one sized for 4 winged musket caps
Thanks
Bear
Modified Hotshot nipple (I believe) sized for #11 percussion caps with an o-ring groove in the nipple and an o-ring that seals the nipple to the device. Not intended for dry firing in my opinion. In use the brass protective cap doesn’t disturb the percussion cap. I have a number of them, but mostly hunt with flintlocks and I haven’t used them in quite some time. They did work on the guns I tried them on.

Bear
I spent too much time in my career trying to avoid single point failures. The brass collar is a safety feature to augment the half cock notch. The brass chain could be replaced by a leather thong to eliminate the noise. Hammer down on the brass cap cover adds some more protection against an accidental discharge while carrying the loaded rifle not to mention some weather protection for the cap.

Bear
It's simply a "Nipple Protector". Not used with the Cap on that I know of. The Civil War enactors would know all about 'em. I'm not sure if it was used for "dry fire" at all, and they used to be commonly found in the antique surplus market, back in the 60's! Good question!

Yes sir I think this is the type but I’ve only seen pictures and with the hammer down ..I thinking even with it brass I would not want a steady diet of hammer thrashing on it!

Bear
These were issued by he British Military with the adoption of the Enfield. The British Military taught and promoted long range shooting, and required offhand dry fire practice. The originals (and those supplied with PH models) have a cushioning center of some form of leather (or plastic) to cushion the hammer fall. I used one for years when shooting my PH 2-Bander with the N-SSA.

ADK Bigfoot

The cover that goes over the nipple/cap is not a "thingabob"; The correct term is thingamabob and is used on the trigger, not the nipple.

Just thought I clear up any misunderstanding. :ghostly:
The Admiral says to the young recruit stand straight ..young recruit say I'm sick..going to the middle of the boat and go down stairs ..Admiral say that's mid ships and below decks ..any more stupid from you an I will throw your butt through that little round window ..

We just don't have an Admiral come along yet to correct our nomenclature !!

Bear :cool:

Back