• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

That funny forearm thingy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1333[559].jpg
This is a 1970's CVA kit. .45 calibre . This was given to me by a friend. He bought it and never assembled the kit. Some pieces were missing when I got it. This is the joint between the two pieces of the stock. BTW, the little rifle shoots very much good. Spanish barrel and lock, but who cares?

I am confused? I thought we were discussing CVA, DBL'S. not the non doubles, ones with a two piece stock??
We are discussing the CVA Kentucky rifle kit. The single barrel rifle that has the brass plate where the forward end of the forestock meets the main stock.

The only reason I posted the picture of the CVA double barrel shotgun was to show that a water/alcohol based walnut stain works nicely on the Beechwood stock. There are some, like me, who don't like the look of blond Beechwood and using a oil based stain usually ends up making the gun just a little darker than blond and applying more of a oil based stain has no effect on the final darkness.

Using a water or alcohol based stain works nicely on Beechwood.

I tried making a wooden spacer to take the place of the brass piece. I got really frustrated, and the brass won.

I thought of that too. In the end I decided that it would probably not match and so may as well keep it "original". :)

Looking at the picture posted by @ord sgt , his seems very dark.

I thought of that too. In the end I decided that it would probably not match and so may as well keep it "original". :)

Looking at the picture posted by @ord sgt , his seems very dark.
There is a piece of brass sandwiched between the two pieces of the stock. It's just hard to see. Years of shooting have darkened the stock and brass. The kit was built sometime around 1985-1986.

We are discussing the CVA Kentucky rifle kit. The single barrel rifle that has the brass plate where the forward end of the forestock meets the main stock.

The only reason I posted the picture of the CVA double barrel shotgun was to show that a water/alcohol based walnut stain works nicely on the Beechwood stock. There are some, like me, who don't like the look of blond Beechwood and using a oil based stain usually ends up making the gun just a little darker than blond and applying more of a oil based stain has no effect on the final darkness.

Using a water or alcohol based stain works nicely on Beechwood.

This stock was done with a Minwax oil based stain.
IMG_1333[559].jpg

I have an original German Jaeger that had the "duffel bag cut" that I restored. I made the spacer out of polymer clay to match the horn trigger guard. I posted a thread on the rebuild but all the build pictures were lost when Photobucket dropped the photo hosting site I used.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/jaeger-project-rifle.93808/
jaeger2 007.jpg

jaeger2 002.jpg

Latest posts

Back