• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Thanksgiving traditions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coehornboy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Lets talk about them Thanksgiving traditions. For me, the meal starts with bean soup with smoked pork, and I'll BBQ a 25 lb bird. Gonna make the sweet 'taters western style, in a dutch oven, with a touch of brown sugar, red pepper flakes, tequila and lime.

Oh yes...Momma is taking a load of Venture Scouts out on a party fishing boat on Halfmoon Bay again ..we'll also have sand dabs and Dungeness Crab.

What do you all have planned?

Detroit vs Green bay Me and pop on the couch yellin at the lions like they got a chance :rotf: (im from Michigan ) Now we are on speaker phone for the who game lol. Miss Daddy

I will have the usual 25 lb turkey fo course(tame unless I get a wild one) Stuffing with chestnuts. Sweet potatoes with brown sugar and marshmallow topping. Green bean cassarole with mushrooms. Pumpkin pie with whipped cream. And best of all I hope my 9 yr old grandson can make it up from Ocean City MD. :thumbsup: He really likes Pap's turkey

frying a turkey, smashed 'taters and giblet gravy, cranberry relish, corn pudding, young peas w/baby onions in cream sauce and good pumpkin cutard pie w/pralines atop.

I'd be interested in seeing that recipe for western-style sweet taters coehorn, sounds like something for the next camping/shooting trip.

Happy Thanksgiving, Blizzard of 93

Momma is gonna make a honey glazed spiral cut ham,mashed taters an gravy,dressing,baked beans with baccon and probally much more.Topped off with punkin an cherry pie.
Then i will watch the cowboys hopefully stomp who ever they play this year.Followed by the next 3 days of deer hunting in Iowas november doe seasons.

Take my 36 cal on a morning squirrel hunt, but mainly a last minute scout before the deer season. Then home by noon for a family turkey dinner with all the trimmings.

You guys are making me hungry. I need to go get something to eat! :wink:
I can see it now. Hot turkey sandwich, cold turkey sandwich, turkey soup, turkey pot pie,etc.
Over the river and through the woods to the oldest daughters house for turkey dinner.
5 hours on the road and no leftovers at my house? That has to change!

stump.58 said:
(I'm from Michigan)
Sorry for your luck! OSU 14 MU 3 :):):)
You may want to consider,not visiting
The Shu next year.It will not be preaty.Your only
hope is Miles may very well win the
National Championship,BCS game....But only because
they have not played Ohio State.
Miles will be the head coach at LSU next year,
mainly because,even with a Nationl Championship,
they did not play the best team in the country.IMO
snake-eyes :hmm:

I go deer hunting on Thanksgiving and usually end up with a couple of anorexic looking squirrels. :cursing:
Then again if I wasn't shooting them with a .54 RB they might look a little better. :grin:
I wouldn't have to shoot them if they would stop barking at me so that every deer in the county knows I'm there. :shake:
It's all good when I boil whats left off the bone. The Beagle just loves them mixed in with her dry dog food.

Deer hunting with the slug guns or Pheasant hunting for the Wife and me. Should be nobody around where we go. Everybody will be too busy eating turkey and watching football. :grin:

MMMMM! Shure sounds like some good eatin.
Born and bred in the south, I have to have some CORNBREAD DRESSING with my bird or hickory smoked ham.Never did care for them Swamp Berries (AKA) Cran berries or the sauce made from them.
Big old glob of mashed Irish Taters, and a Southern Strawberry Shortcake. For you Yank's, It would look more like a pie. Got to be from Dixie to know what I'm talkin about!! Even though I make Oregon my home now, I still have Grits, and red eye gravy in my diet. :thumbsup:

Going to have a big family get together this year. The folks are going to do the turkey and cornbread stuffing. We are bringing a salmon so I have to get there early enough to fire up the webber and slow cook it over coals and alder. The wife is making several pumpkin pies and oldest daughter is making a couple of wild blackberry pies. Will probably have to swing by the dairy to pick up some real whipping cream earlier in the week. Ray has threatened to clear his freezer out of last years elk and bring a batch of elk chili colorado. Will also have the usual collection of salads and side dishes.

Dutch Oven Tequila Lime Sweet Taters

Servings: Makes 8 to 10 servings.

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup light-flavored honey such as wildflower, orange blossom, or clover
2-3 tablespoons Tequila
2-3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
3 pounds orange-fleshed sweet potatoes (yams), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
red pepper flakes to taste

Preparation: Get them coals going. Butter the dutch oven.
In small saucepan (or the bottom of the oven) over moderately high heat, combine butter, honey, tequila, lime juice, and sugar. Bring to simmer, stirring until butter and sugar are melted, then cook uncovered, 10 minutes - don’t let it get too hot or burn.

In large bowl, toss potatoes with butter mixture, salt, and pepper. Transfer to dutch oven or baking dish and bake, tossing occasionally, until tender and glazed, about 60 minutes (mebbe longer if you keep on peeking and it’s cold outside. Serve warm right out of the cast iron. :v

PS: add or take away what you want or don't want....it's always good 'cuz you made it!

The fun for us starts Wednesday night--that's pie night and has been for the 35 years we've been married. My wife makes 3 pumpkin pies and my daughter is doing a couple of pecan pies. I'm doing two big mince meat pies with venison (been makin' 'em every year since I was a kid).

We usually end up with more brandy in the chefs than in the pies but somebody has to do quality control on the spirits. :wink:

No matter what you do, I hope all you fellas have a good Turkey Day!

going to a powwow and talk about white folks...lol. no really. going to a powwow, dance a little, then go home and eat dinner with the family....

did'ja hear about the NDN that went into town and drank a gallon of sweet tea?
he was found drownded the next day in his teepee. :shocked2:

Our family will have the tradional turkey dinner up in PA at my sister in law's but we will bring the mandatory SAUERKRAUT WITH PORK! A must have for us or the dinner is incomplete.

Back