• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Thanksgiving Traditions That People Don't Understand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leaving in the next hour for our tradition of a Thanksgiving morning pheasant hunt. Just my dad, brother, myself, and of course, our dog Truro.
Our dear old friend Jerry just can't do it physically anymore, it lays hard on my heart.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

We often get rotisserie chickens from a local place for $4.99. it is nearly impossible to buy a raw chicken and roast it for that price. I strip the bulk of the meat from the skeleton and throw the bones, wings, necks etc in a pot of water and simmer them for 20 mins perhaps 3 times over a days time. When cool I pick the bones out by hand and add leftover rice, potatoes, oatmeal, even carrots and simmer it again. Homemade dog food. The dogs love it.
thank GOD for the $499.00 birds, that are Friday specals, at WALLY WORLD!! just take it home and eat it!

I didn't know there was meat in mince meat.
Hog Maw- Pennsylvania Dutch thing.
Haggis- eat that in January (26th?) Robert Burns Day. The Haggis you eat with mashed rutabaga and mashed potato. A shot of Scotch washes it all down.
Stock- put it in ice cube tray so I have little individual cubes. Do the same thing with green salsa/chili
you will need more than one shot of SCOTCH to wash that GAGGER DOWN. UCH! I guess eating HAGGIS is not for SISSIES?

Depends. There is mincemeat and faux-mincemeat. Both have a lot of spices. Both usually have apples, raisins, and often green tomatoes, and suet. My friend's wife makes one with venison that is out of this world.
My mom's family being long time old Berkshire yankees made it both real and faux. After grampie's heart attack gram only made faux,,, still just as tasty.View attachment 176579View attachment 176580View attachment 176581View attachment 176582View attachment 176583
Hopefully those came out in the correct order. I did the best I could with screenshots of the photos of old recipes.
the meat used in MINCE MEAT here in the NORTH EAST/ NEW ENGLANG is VENISIN / DEER meat. has been used for a malineium.

No matter.....I'll stick to turkey, dressing, giblet gravy, cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole topped with melted marshmellows, corn, green beans, biscuits, mashed potatoes, and then the desserts, apple pie, pumpkin pie, cheese bars, and all home made!! Damn, now I'm hungry!
GIBLETS, are a gagger that I cannot get the bitter little pieces to go down. what purpose does the bird use them for? does any body eat the hart? just courious? I don't eat the organ meat of any animal/ foul/ fish, or any other things. I am a BEEF EATER!

Leaving in the next hour for our tradition of a Thanksgiving morning pheasant hunt. Just my dad, brother, myself, and of course, our dog Truro.
Our dear old friend Jerry just can't do it physically anymore, it lays hard on my heart.

Happy Thanksgiving all.
it too was for many years at my house also, every one me and my 2 boys would go hunting while the wife was cooking the meal. no ,ore just memories my boys are all over 40 yrs. old and have moved on from the tradition. but the memories are brought back by your post. thank you & have a great turkey day.

GIBLETS, are a gagger that I cannot get the bitter little pieces to go down. what purpose does the bird use them for? does any body eat the hart? just courious? I don't eat the organ meat of any animal/ foul/ fish, or any other things. I am a BEEF EATER

My dad was hard core PA Dutch. He was a county game warden and put a lot of back roads miles on the vehicle. ie No restaurants or places to grab a bite to eat. He often traveled with a bag of apples behind the seat, some other snack like nuts with protein and I remember there was often a mason jar of pickled tripe. (beef stomach) In winter when it was butchering season on the farms, he knew who was butchering when and usually stopped and got some ring pudding, etc. (a strange liver pudding stuffed into casings and tied into a ring shape) He would snack on while on his travels.

I think oyster stuff is a regional thing. Never had it but it sounds great. My favorite T'day turkey is the New Orleans style 'turduckin'. Must be pre-ordered and cooked thoroughly. It is a boned turkey stuffed with a boned duck that is stuffed with a boned chicken and all stuffed with stuffing. Flavor and enjoyment eating is beyond description. Those Cajuns and Creoles are the best cooks in the world, IMHO.

GIBLETS, are a gagger that I cannot get the bitter little pieces to go down. what purpose does the bird use them for? does any body eat the hart? just courious? I don't eat the organ meat of any animal/ foul/ fish, or any other things. I am a BEEF EATER!

The giblets are the heart gizzard and liver and delicious. We do like the heart, and liver of most animals, and the heart and gizzards especially of turkey & chicken. Toot, apparently you ain't seen no jungle life, if you think giblets are a gagger😁

The giblets get chopped fine, fried down and mixed into our traditional Thanksgiving turkey egg filling. My grandfather brought the recipe from Abbuzro Italy with him. Eggs, Romano cheese and garlic. !! The smell of the turkey cooking will bring my brothers running from a mile away and make everyone else run away.

Thanks,
O.R.

Not much on livers but will eat the traditional deer liver and onions meal at camp from the first deer killed, Like fried chicken hearts and gizzards, Now as to hearts yep especially deer heart cooked in a crock pot with some onion, when done cool sliced thin on some good rye bread, swiss cheese a quality stone ground mustard and a slice of onion, another favorite is beef tongue done the same way. Also enjoy a stuffed beef heart at times with bread stuffing, mashed taters and gravey made from the drippings.

20221124_125856.jpg
20221124_125919.jpg
20221124_132144.jpg
20221124_132841.jpg
20221124_181243.jpg
20221124_133729.jpg
20221124_154544.jpg
20221124_154833.jpg

One of my favorite "traditions" is the long standing practice of risking one's fingers to get "pickin' pieces." It starts while carving is underway and lasts until we sit to eat.... brothers and dogs like it too.

View attachment 177991View attachment 177992View attachment 177993View attachment 177994View attachment 177995View attachment 177996View attachment 177997View attachment 177998

One of my favorite "traditions" is the long standing practice of risking one's fingers to get "pickin' pieces." It starts while carving is underway and lasts until we sit to eat.... brothers and dogs like it too.
God bless you, and your family for sharing Thanksgiving with all of us!!

View attachment 177991View attachment 177992View attachment 177993View attachment 177994View attachment 177995View attachment 177996View attachment 177997View attachment 177998

WOW! now that is a meal fit for KINGS!!! and I mean it! I am comming to your house next THANKSGIVEN!!

I made a water pan smoker 35 yrs ago from a piece of 16" dia SS pipe and have smoked turkeys in it every year since. It will hold 2 large turkeys. It takes about 15hrs for the big 25lb ones but they are a treat to be remembered for the rest of the year. I use pecan wood only because of the milder flavor it imparts. You can't find a juicier turkey than one cooked this way. Unbelievably good!

Latest posts

Back