• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thanksgiving Traditions That People Don't Understand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Dad used to make oyster dressing for Thanksgiving and Christmas. He'd buy chicken backs and cook them down, then add the chicken skin from the backs to the oyster dressing. It was delicious! I keep threatening to try my hand at making it one of these days.

Fred

I love southern cooking here in Alabama…turkey, sage dressing, sweet potato casserole and gran marnier cranberry relish, but I’d come to any of your houses for Thankgiving. Everything sounds wonderful! E..
Don't forget gravy......... In the south gravy is either a food group or a beverage........ :)

Growing up in New York the guys would deer hunt in the morning while my grandmother, mother, and aunt would make the Thanksgiving meal We would get back from hunting and eat around two in the afternoon. All the pies were homemade. My grandmother would make mince meat pie. Haven't seen that in ages. Miss those days.

The big pumpkins for Halloween. They are sort of stringy but you can actually use them for pie. Just run the pumpkin through a blender, etc. or brush out to align the strings and cross cut into 1" bits.
I put in about 1/2 the recommended spices to make it taste "more pumpkin".

Well,
For the last few years I've made spaghetti sauce. All goes into an enameled cast iron Dutch oven.

2 28oz. cans of Cento Roma tomatoes
1 28oz. can of Contadina sauce.
1 18 oz can of " " paste.

While the above is on simmer, add 1lb. of Italian sausage lightly browned. I use the sausage
that's packaged like burger on the tray-chopped with a wooden spatula.
1/4 cup of Zydeco Chop Chop ( has dehydrated onion, garlic, r&g bell pepper, green onion
tops, celery, parsley.)

~20 turns of fresh black pepper from a mill, a dash or two of salt, and some McCormick Italian Seasoning to taste;

The house smells great for a few days afterward.

Mule
p.s. an alternative to the above is Hurst's 15 Bean Soup. I toss the flavor packet and use salt, pepper, the Zydeco stuff,
a can of stewed tomatoes, Italian seasoning and either Conecuh Hickory Smoked Sausage or Country Pleasin' brand
Green Onion Sausage. Been making this in one form or another for over 20 years.

Last edited:
@kje54 - My White Castle adventure was back in the 60's. I have no idea where in DC it was actually located. All I know is we walked from restaurant to restaurant looking for a place to eat, only to be turned away due to every table being full. We saw that White Castle on a corner and decided it was burgers or nothing so we went with burgers! Still a fond family memory.

That's all for now. Take are and until next time...be well.

snapper

I Love Oyster dressing, But OUR tradition is all the GUYS take the little ones that are big enough to walk out bird hunting in the morning. It is beautiful to see Great Grandpa walking with his great grand daughter. @ 2:00 dinner,@3:00 Nap time.......Be Safe>>>>>>>Wally I forgot to mention that I only have 1 Bachelor Son and can't BUY A GRAND BABY. I'm so envious of my brothers that have great,great Grand babies.......Wally

Last edited:
@kje54 - My White Castle adventure was back in the 60's. I have no idea where in DC it was actually located. All I know is we walked from restaurant to restaurant looking for a place to eat, only to be turned away due to every table being full. We saw that White Castle on a corner and decided it was burgers or nothing so we went with burgers! Still a fond family memory.

That's all for now. Take are and until next time...be well.

snapper
That was a little before my time there, didn't get there until 1977. I guess it didn't do well in DC and closed.

I use to collect Step-Mother's, some folks collect antiques, mine was Step-Mothers.

Last one was a bit different, you never knew what she was going to have to eat. Showed up for Thanksgiving one year and it was Mexican food of all types and all the beer you could drink.

I was introduce to oyster dressing in Dothan Alabama years ago and loved it.
Unfortunately, while there are plenty of good oysters here on the Texas Gulf coast,, I am the only oyster eater in the house so that king of dressing ain't agonna' happen.
A dozen or so raw for breakfast yum yum Way to start the day.

Bunk

What Thanksgiving traditions do you have that others don't understand or know of? We always have oyster stuffing with our turkey. A few pints of good fresh Chesapeake oysters get mixed in with the stuffing and baked in a pan. I think it is a mid-atlantic regional thing. When we talk about it people look at us like we are crazy, but it sure is good and my mom talks about her grandmother making it.
miss me some good oyster dressing, yep I mention it here these nut balls think I am talking about some soup cracker DOH!!

Back