• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thanks Jim Kibler! (SMR range report)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What an unusual day for late January in Kansas! 57deg, sunny skies and light winds! A perfect day to try out my newly completed SMR! I loaded up the possibles bag with all the goodies needed to shoot .40cal shouldered my rifle and headed out my back door to try out my new smokepole!

I set up several bean cans on a log at 25yds loaded her up with 50gr of goex 3f, a .395 bal and .010 patch, primed the pan, aimed and fired. BANG! .....OUCH! My right thumb punched me squarely in the upper lip! The smoke cleared and all 4 cans were still standing. I loaded up and fired again, being careful of my thumb placement and cheek weld this time! Same result, missed the can! For shot number 3 I stapled a blank page to my target board drew an X in the center and took a shot, AHA! The ball impacted the bottom edge, barely cutting paper. Out came the file and I took 8 or 10 swipes at the front blade. The next 3 shots landed just below the X. Better! I loaded up again and sent a can flying with a satisfying PING! The next 3 cans were knocked off in similar fashion!

Ok, time to shoot the monthly muzzleloading forum postal match target! Took my first 3 shots at the left hand pie offhand from 25yds, all 3 landed low. Out came the file again for another 8 or 10 swipes at the front blade, followed up by 2 more shots in the 10 ring! On to the right hand pie for one bull and all in the black! Good enough for me on my first trip out shooting the SMR.

This rifle is a real sweetheart to shoot, as long as you keep your thumb next to the wrist and not over it! The recoil is light, she is easy to maneuver and once you are set up on the target she stays locked in right there, solid as a rock. I fired the first 19 shots without doing anything to the flint other than wiping it and the frizzen before I had a flash in the pan on shot 20. I knapped the flint and fired shot 20 then flipped it over bevel down for the next 10 shots. At shot 30 the barrel was to fouled to ram the ball home with the wooden rod so out came the range rod to finish the job. I swabed the barrel with a spit patch and fired 3 more shots before my horn ran dry of 3f forcing me to call it a day.

The SMR is definitely my new favorite! If your on the fence about ordering a kit, get on over it! The grass really is greener on the other side! Thanks Jim Kibler for putting out such a great product!

Chris
20230128_161528.jpg

Attachments

• 20230128_161622.jpg
    20230128_161622.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230128_161321.jpg
    20230128_161321.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230128_163442.jpg
    20230128_163442.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
I have the same rifle, very accurate. I pulled off a couple good 50 yard offhanders last week on a random, target that was already up

Attachments

• Resized_PART_1674080204552_Resized_20230118_152626.jpeg
    Resized_PART_1674080204552_Resized_20230118_152626.jpeg
    718.4 KB · Views: 0
For target shooting mine shoots best with .395 balls, 35gr goex, .016 pillow ticking lubed in 50/50 simple green

I definitely need to drag a bench out and work up a load, I feel like a coue of my errant hits on the target were "flyers" more than a swing and a miss from me.

Chris

Chris, can you explain your comment about keeping the thumb alongside the wrist instead of over it ?

When I lay my fumb on top of or over the wrist area of the stock the recoil makes me smack my upper lip with my knuckle. That doesn't happen if I lay my thumb alongside the wrist.

Chris

I had the same issue yesterday, first shot and my thumb punched me right in the lip. It’s not the best way to start a shooting session. I’m new to ML shooting so still figuring things out like where to put my fingers on the trigger guard etc. it all feels very strange. Any hints or suggestions would be welcome.

When I lay my fumb on top of or over the wrist area of the stock the recoil makes me smack my upper lip with my knuckle. That doesn't happen if I lay my thumb alongside the wrist.

Chris

That's usually an indication that LOP is a bit short but doesn't much matter with your solution.

Jim, I STILL have not yet finshed my in the white .40. Its so well done I fear screwing it up, Never did any metal (lock etc.) refinshing and the stocks I have done were mediocre. Gotta get it done this summer. I LOVE IT. Never had a rifle that mounted and held so well. Will be getting a Colonial or a Woodsrunner soon (or buying a built one right here, a nice .40 just sold). THANK YOU! from all of us.

Back