• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Texas ML season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is an EXCELLENT REASON that there are so many PECULIAR CRITTERS in East Texas. = In the 1930-50s, any number of small traveling shows, carnivals, circuses & private zoos that closed & RELEASED their animals into the river bottoms.
(The SULPHUR RIVER bottoms for just ONE of those places.)
In south Louisiana & SE Texas it was hurricanes/tornados that mostly did that deed.
(In the aftermath of Hurricane Carla, a privately owned reptile park in Cameron Parish was flooded/destroyed & all the snakes, crocodiles & other animals were released. = The Louisiana State Police & the Cameron Parish Sheriff's Department admit that MANY venomous snakes were at large from that time until "no telling when".)

And people wonder why our family NEVER goes about unarmed on our family farm in that area of NE Texas!!!

yours, satx

yours, satx

I heard you also have to watch out for the dreaded chupacabras down there too. :shocked2:

Old goats should be especially cautious when walking around in areas where chupacabras are known to be lurking. :hmm:

Chupacabrias may NOT exist but El Tigre is very much alive & moving into South Texas.
(Having dealt with that particular large predator when I was stationed "way down South", I'm NOT looking forward to meeting El Tigre while hunting "wee piggies" for the BBQ pit. = El Tigre considers humans to be slow-moving, easily-caught, tasty protein & nothing more than that.)

yours, satx

Sir,
You wouldn't by any chance have any idea how far North they have gotten, would you? Biggest cat I have seen in my area (Waco) have been a handful of sightings of Cougar/Mountain Lion, and a few bob cats, but that is all so far, and spread out over about 20-25 years worth of hunting alone.

Cougar/Mountain Lion sightings are popping up all over the country......Far to many to be explained by normal reproduction and migration.
A lot of people were seeing one in my area a few years back, and "funny" I kept running into a blacked out suburban driving around the neighborhood...Then one day I came around the corner and that blacked out suburban had a UHF antenna hanging out the passenger window. Never saw that suburban again after that, and the cat sightings disappeared too...

While it is difficult to say, as we are talking about a relatively recent phenomena, I would guess that the Jaguars are VERY uncommon North of a line generally from Eagle Pass to Goliad.
(I know of NO reports of Jaguar sightings North of Atascosa County.)

yours, satx

I hunted hogs with Richard Grona in the Kerrville area and he hunted Mountain Lios in Sanderson. He had some interesting experiences.

Talked with my hog hunter Friday and he said he took a white feral hog on Wednesday south of me and on Thursday there was another white hog in the same trap. He said he had never seen pure white.

Thank you very much. I will keep an eye out, but would be very surprized if I see one anytime soon. These kinds of migrations interest me for some reason.

(CNN)””Among the large cats roaming the Earth, the jaguar is the only one native to North and South America.

However, wild jaguars were not known for sure to be in the United States -- until now.

One elusive wild jaguar has been captured in video in the Santa Rita Mountains just outside Tucson, Arizona.

"Studying these elusive cats anywhere is extremely difficult, but following the only known individual in the U.S. is especially challenging," Chris Bugbee, a biologist with Conservation CATalyst, said in a news release by the Center for Biological Diversity, which placed the video on their Facebook page.

"We use our specially trained scat detection dog and spent three years tracking in rugged mountains, collecting data and refining camera sites; these videos represent the peak of our efforts."

Remote sensor cameras were set up in these mountain ranges to look for endangered animals like this one.

"Just knowing that this amazing cat is right out there, just 25 miles from downtown Tucson, is a big thrill," Randy Serraglio, conservation advocate with the Center, said in the news release.

El Jefe, as he is known in Tucson, has been photographed repeatedly over the past few years by remote sensor cameras in the Santa Ritas, the news release said. El Jefe means "the boss" in Spanish.

"El Jefe has been living more or less in our backyard for more than three years now. It's our job to make sure that his home is protected and he can get what he needs to survive."

Understood. = There are NUMEROUS reports from our Ranger Recon Unit, a few reports from Deputy Sheriffs, Deputy Constables & a few from The Texas Border Volunteers about running into El Tigre in the border country.

These "illegal aliens" wouldn't be someone that I'd want to run into in the darkness of the dawn/dusk in the South TX brush country.

yours, satx

I am a serious bowhunter for 30 years ive not taken a game animal with anything other then a longbow recurve or compound bow. to date in texas ive taken 84 deer, ive been very successful. my first gun i ever had to hunt with when growing up was a.50 muzzleloader 1-66 twist roundballs are what i used. I normally tag out on what i want to take during the archery season.
ive also been a hunting guide since i came back from Desert storm. ive guided in Texas Colorado and at one point Alaska.
ive recently gotten back into traditional muzzleloading and truthfully havent planned on using it until the muzzleloader season. i bowhunt rifle season. in my opinion the rifle season is way 2 long (I understand it as it creates revinue) i agree there are some slobs who show no respect to private landowners who ileagally bait national forrest, who shouldnt be allowed to hunt period. These days i hunt national forest only. i have many oppurtunities to hunt my own 50 acres and other properties, but i choose national forest. Granted muzzleloading is another type of firearm and can be used during general season. however i welcome an additional season. the late muzzleloading season you dont see as many hunters it helps keep the 4 million deer we have in check and generates revinue for TPWD. i usually draw an extra doe permit every year in the WMA i hunt so this year i would like to save a tag for my first year back into traditional muzzleloading. im thankful TPWD recognized muzzleloading. i understand private property owners have hunt with un ethical hunting practices. im open to discuss further this is a great topic.
mr. Richard i know you from another forumn maybe Texas Boars alot of people in texas know me for hunting hogs and guiding

As far as I am concerned we have more seasons in Texas than are needed. They start too early and go to long.

I had a long conversation with my local feed man about leasing, he said the problem is that folks who want to lease get to pushy and think that they own the land.

I talked with a fellow doing bull dosing work and told him I was thinking about leasing, most of his family showed up wanting to lease my land.

Howie, I do remember you from some place and seems you are a hard working fellow.

Back