• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Texas ML season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc mullins

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Texas is as some other states after the general season is over. It last for 14 days in January and I'm grateful for the added opportunity to harvest a whitetail. I would like to see the same consideration given to our archery hunter and have those days in October. I am just venting. We are allowed to use our long rifles during the general season it would be nice to start a little early and a lot prettier time of the year.
What say you Texas boys.

doc mull said:
Texas is as some other states after the general season is over. It last for 14 days in January and I'm grateful for the added opportunity to harvest a whitetail. I would like to see the same consideration given to our archery hunter and have those days in October. I am just venting. We are allowed to use our long rifles during the general season it would be nice to start a little early and a lot prettier time of the year.
What say you Texas boys.

I am a Texas ranch owner and do not agree at all.
I do not lease, 98% of all land in Texas is leased and I have found most folks know more about deer and managing deer than a resident land owner which is not true.

You can hunt with a M/L during the general gun season which lasts for 60 days or so. If you cannot harvest your deer in 60 days, you need to move on to bowling.

M/L season during bow season, not going to happen. The bow hunters lobby here is huge, you are not going to infringe on those folks.

I monitor truck traffic in front of my ranch, deer hunters are up and down the road until Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend. After that the wives tell their hunters that is enough and the traffic stops.

In all honesty, 90% of the deer in Texas are killed opening weekend. Each day the kill rate drops per day.

I have come to hate deer season and the slobs, we fill a Toyota pickup with beer cans each year on the road in front of the ranch.

You are welcome to vent, that is your right and I respect it. But if I were to lease it would be my rules, not the states and how long a person can hunt and with what.

The state says the deer belong to them and I say bull to that. During the drought of the last 8 years or so I have been hauling water to the deer in the deep woods so they have water and do not have to leave the woods. Still waiting on the state truck to bring water.

Okay, I have vented and so have you and all is fair. In all honesty, the deer are hunted long enough each year on some ranches and they do need a break as do the ranch owners from hunters.

North East Texas ranch owner.

All these seasons where we all get segregated based on our choice of weapon are a way of dividing us. I mean, why should I care if the guy with the modern rifle gets his season shortened, when I hunt with a ML, or a bow, or whatever else, right? We're all in this together, and the more we squabble among ourselves, the more likely we are to wake up one day and find out that we can no longer hunt.

I'm with Richard on this one. A ML is just another firearm, although it is more satisfying to hunt with to me. I mean, I would hate to open the regulations book next year and be told that I can only hunt with a long bow this week, a recurve next week, a compound the week after that, then the week after that, it is match lock only, then flint lock for a week, then caplock, then single shot cartridge gun for a week, levergun the week after, semi-auto the following week, etc, etc. The way they pass laws, you and I would be allowed to use ONLY what is in style that week, and as much as I like to have an excuse for a new gun, it would get ridiculous quick. Don't get me wrong, I am all for you and me hunting with our MLs, but I don't think for a second that we should get any special treatment just because we choose to hunt with a more primitive firearm. I mean, if anything, our choice of a ML says that we are more confident and quite possibly more skilled at getting close to the game than a modern rifle hunter, so they could make the argument that we should have our season shortened, or possibly our weapons banned, because our particular skill set makes us too efficient and deadly, so therefore they need more time to even their chances to be more like ours, since they can't/won't develop their skills to match ours. A gun is a gun is a gun, regardless what end it loads from.

And I'll second the comment about who the game animals belong to. The State may regulate the hunting seasons, but the animals are cared for (or sometimes not) by the land owner and whoever helps the land owner, so to me, they belong to him/her. I have gotten permission to hunt a lot of places by being respectful and hunting the way the land owner said to. Often times, that has meant letting a trophy buck walk, because I had permission to take the odd looking spikes instead, or does, or whatever else the owner specified. You know what? I could care less what the rack looks like because I don't eat antlers, so my two concerns are that things be done legally and in accordance to the rules the land owner gives me. And you know, most times, I get invited back for the next deer season, or even better, to hunt hogs and small game the rest of the year.

And I'll second the comment about who the game animals belong to. The State may regulate the hunting seasons, but the animals are cared for (or sometimes not) by the land owner and whoever helps the land owner, so to me, they belong to him/her. I have gotten permission to hunt a lot of places by being respectful and hunting the way the land owner said to. Often times, that has meant letting a trophy buck walk, because I had permission to take the odd looking spikes instead, or does, or whatever else the owner specified. You know what? I could care less what the rack looks like because I don't eat antlers, so my two concerns are that things be done legally and in accordance to the rules the land owner gives me. And you know, most times, I get invited back for the next deer season, or even better, to hunt hogs and small game the rest of the year.

Very interesting insight.

We had a lot of rain in early 2015 and then it immediately stopped June 14. After a bit the creeks dried up and there was no water in the deep woods. We started putting out large tubs and started hauling in water to the critters in a truck with a 125 gallon container. We put blocks around the tubs so the coons and others could drink.

It dawned on us that the tubs were too tall, we found some small lick tubs and put them out so the hogs could get to water.

At times I have considered leasing my land, but seems folks are to pushy in what they want, it is my ranch and my rules.

Texas has a late M/L season, after 60 days if you can not get your deer, it is time to move on to fishing.

In all honesty, if you want to remove does, it needs to be done in the first 15 days of season to get them off the food source. In January and
February most does are breed. What we are seeing this year, in a bunch of late fawns, this has been verified by the hay cutters.

No need for longer season.

That's a lot of work you did to help the animals on your place, and I bet not a single govt employee showed up who was sent by any govt agency to help you. Now some you're friends with, I wouldn't be surprised, but not a stranger who was sent by their employer/agency and paid to help you. I know I'd gladly help if I was close enough.

Actually I have limited access to the place, I do have a fear of being sued by someone granted access if they should get hurt.

Talked with a guy down the road and he locks his gates when he leaves and when he comes home now.

He stated there are some very "mean" folks around us now. His son lives on his place and is a Game Warden and does have insight into what is going on in our area.

At any rate, we try to take care of "our" critters and make sure they have water and food.

I went out and started my truck one morning and was letting it warm up, I heard a loud squealing noise, looked under the front of the truck and there was 2 small fawns. One of the yard deer had left them under the front bumper for safe keeping while she went for breakfast.

State can say what they want, the critters are mine, not state property until they take up taking care of them.

As an insight, when managing deer which a problem on a low fenced ranch, you shoot your does the opening weekend to get them off the food sources and you don't shoot the biggest buck you can find.
Does a rancher butcher his best bull in the field?

Richard E.
I know this is a old post, but do concur that animals that thrive on your property should be considered your`s! What part of E.Texas is your ranch located?
I have property in E.Texas which borders the Louisiana state line, and over the years this has presented some interesting situations! One that comes to mind was many years ago, Louisiana allowed dogs to hunt deer part of their season. Well the deer soon learned that Texas side was free from dogs chasing them, so they started taking up permanent residence on our property!
Fortunately there are several underground springs which provide year round water for all wild life and cattle! Even during very dry periods there is always a water source.We try to keep these deer healthy with food supplements and provide them with ample cover and natural food sources. And as you mentioned in some of your post, never have I seen or encountered any one from the state coming to check or aid in the well being of these deer.
It is always a great feeling to watch on the trail cams the fawns as they mature through out the year! Though at the present time we have had a sudden influx of large size coyotes which have already caused one of my cousins to loose a nice Black Angus cow to them. While I was their during muzzle loading season, I spotted one of these coyotes and it was a very large one, which leads me to consider that these might be hybrids or " coydogs"!Unfortunately the one I saw was out of range of my muzzle loader!! We did capture some on the trail cams!I hope you are not having this problem!
Maybe the wild pigs will give the coyotes "A run for their money"!!

Cypress Wolf said:
Richard E.
I know this is a old post, but do concur that animals that thrive on your property should be considered your`s! What part of E.Texas is your ranch located?
I have property in E.Texas which borders the Louisiana state line, and over the years this has presented some interesting situations! One that comes to mind was many years ago, Louisiana allowed dogs to hunt deer part of their season. Well the deer soon learned that Texas side was free from dogs chasing them, so they started taking up permanent residence on our property!
Fortunately there are several underground springs which provide year round water for all wild life and cattle! Even during very dry periods there is always a water source.We try to keep these deer healthy with food supplements and provide them with ample cover and natural food sources. And as you mentioned in some of your post, never have I seen or encountered any one from the state coming to check or aid in the well being of these deer.
It is always a great feeling to watch on the trail cams the fawns as they mature through out the year! Though at the present time we have had a sudden influx of large size coyotes which have already caused one of my cousins to loose a nice Black Angus cow to them. While I was their during muzzle loading season, I spotted one of these coyotes and it was a very large one, which leads me to consider that these might be hybrids or " coydogs"!Unfortunately the one I saw was out of range of my muzzle loader!! We did capture some on the trail cams!I hope you are not having this problem!
Maybe the wild pigs will give the coyotes "A run for their money"!!

Leon County.

Cameras are a great tool to monitor what is going on your land. I had a freak buck in velvet last year in November and he would move from the cameras as we moved into his area with hog traps. I lost track of him in March. I finally put up cameras in the last 2 weeks and he showed up on a very large scrape that I found in the woods. He is not as large as last year, but he a made the winter.

We have noticed in the last several years that we do not hear coyotes at night like we did, but the cameras have confirmed they are still around.

I had a calf that had his tail chewed off and was castrated. I had the Government Trapper come in with his knowledge and he took 13 coyotes from behind my house, amazing what poison does.

Coyotes are good and bad. I spent a lot of time talking the Biologist with the state about shooting them. He said that coyotes are hunting baby pigs when a person is not there, so they do serve a purpose. I have a some pictures of 3 coyotes surrounding a hog in a field trying to get at it.

Coyotes are known for luring dogs from rural homes and killing them. Folks down from me have lost all their dogs which were not kept inside at night.

Years ago I hunted at night a lot for coyotes. While calling one night I had an owl take off my stocking cap while calling, he keyed in on the speaker which was next to me. I learned to move the speaker away from me.

Richard, did you know that you may have bears in your neck of the woods? I used to have a small 20 acre piece of land just outside of the great metropolis of Flynn. One day I saw a strange figure walk across an opening in the brush. At first, I thought it might be some kind of big sheep dog such a Grand Perinese. It didn't walk like a dog but I didn't know what else it could be. but, when I went to look at the tracks, I was astonished to see that they were clearly bear tracks. I notified Parks and Wildlife Dept. and they didn't believe me. They said that all known bears are East of I-45. Then one day shortly after spotting the bear, I saw a game warden in a local café and told him about the tracks. He went with me and confirmed that they were actually bear tracks. He didn't know how or why a bear got into that area but he agreed that one was there. Have you seen any bear tracks on your ranch?

Maybe slightly off topic but I've had a similar experience with the TX Game Wardens. = We have a resident female cougar on our family farm in NE Texas & when I mentioned her to one of the PWD "big shots" He LOL & asked me if I'd been drinking.

A few weeks later we had an overnight sleep-over for the Optimist Club at my farmhouse & he woke me up about 0530 to tell me that there was a mountain lion about 100 feet from my front door.
(I just had to laugh.)

Eastern TX has all sorts of "critters" that aren't supposed to be there.

yours, satx

"Have you seen any bear tracks on your ranch?"

No. Not sure what I would do if I found a bear, think I would just have to leave it alone. I shot a nice bear in Alaska and do not need another one.

My wife is from Chicago and she walks around looking for critter tracks. She has become good at identifying tracks and finding sheds from the deer.

Her latest idea of fun is checking the hog traps each day. She walks from trap to trap to check them. She likes checking the cameras and replacing the cards along the way. Keeps her entertained and she leaves me alone for a bit.

When you see critters, you know they are there.

I listen to the Biologist's before Game Wardens.

I saw a picture from a game camera of a mountain lion which was 5 miles from my house in Smith County. It was chasing down a feral hog.

I keep game cameras in my back yard, I live in a subdivision, to monitor intruders. I have a picture of a male alpha coyote in my back yard.

EXACTLY SO. = A member of the Alabama-Coushatta tribe has a game cameras in several areas of the reservation & a photo of a JAGUAR. - When he checked his camera for deer "traffic", I'm told that he said, "El Tigre, what are you doing so far from home??"

yours, satx

Where my property is located is not to far from where Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas meet. So Fouk, Arkansas is not to far from my property in E.Texas. So those that remember the stories of the "Fouk Monster" years ago should be familiar with all of the details about the news reports and sightings of this critter!
So when I am hunting in this area, I have both " Peepers" wide open for any strange critters in the woods!
My daddy use to tell me stories when he and his brother-in-law would be bird hunting and the dogs would start to acting a little nervous and many times my daddy said they would spot a wolf nearby. Of course this was back in the late 30`s and early 40`s!
According to my cousin, who has property net to mine, there was a cougar sighting just south of Atlanta, Texas on the highway that goes to McLeod, Texas.This was only three or four years
ago. Of course all of these woods and forest lands are essentially near the Black Bayou watershed. I have never spotted any cougars while out hunting, but I have certainly see some awful big bobcats!! This cats are really long legged!!
So ,yes, there are critters out there and some that are probably never seen!!
Of course as I mentioned in a earlier post, the main problem now is the influx of the those extremely large coyotes! Which make them priority NO.1 on the target list!!

Fwiw, I was involved with the search for the Fouke Monster, when I was in college in AR.

YES, there was a FOUKE MONSTER. - A very badly burned/scarred black bear that was shot/killed by an AR State Trooper.
(The late Dr. Victor Oliver, PhD said that the bear was so badly scarred that he started killing/eating livestock & attacked people because he was no longer able to hunt/catch his usual prey AND that the bear was likely in constant/irremediable pain.)

Reference: "Odd critters" in that area, a ZEBRA ran through downtown Pittsburg, TX in 1986 & a local deputy (who fancied himself a half-fast cowboy), roped the zebra while riding on the hood of a CCSO patrol car. ====> When the zebra "hit the end of the rope", the deputy came off the hood "skipped like a stone thrown on water" down Main Street for several yards.
("Buck" liked to have never lived that escapade down.)
As of now, nobody has admitted where the zebra came from.

yours, satx

I saw an elk at our local lake 2-3 years ago, and was told I was seeing things and it must have just been a big white tail, and that I need to study up on animal ID and shouldn't hunt again til I know what I'm looking at. A few months ago, an elk was captured in town after being shot with a tranquilizer dart in town within 10-15 miles of where I saw one. Still waiting on the apology from being told to not hunt til I know what I'm seeing.

Yep, I had no interest in killing the bear because it was so unique in that area. Besides, it may have been a pet that escaped from its cage. No telling where it came from and I had no interest in killing it. I have no idea what ever became of it, I never saw it again but I did see tracks again on my land a few times afterward. But then they disappeared. Was the bear killed? Did it just wander off? Was it recaptured by its owner? I have no idea and I didn't pursue the question with Parks and Wildlife because they thought I was nuts anyway.

There are many rumors about critters in the woods in East Texas woods and along the Gulf Coast.

Some rumors in the past I really did doubt. I heard stories of red wolves in East Texas and along the coast in Galveston County. Often wondered about them.

I took a coyote to be mounted. The taxidermist looked at the coyote and commented do you know what you have? He showed me the fur between the front toes of it and said that it had recessive genes from Red Wolf.

For a bit of time we had some albino coons and I was telling my father about them, I would see them while night hunting. He said it sounded like too much Bud Light. I shot one and left it in his garage on a cold night, it is now mounted in his living room. The albino coons started breeding with the local coons and ended up with some ugly coons. Have not seen one in years.

Back