• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Texas Freeze!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so much the size of the area but again, it is what the area is use too. I spent my formative years in Houston realizing there’s are only two seasons, summer and January 1st. (Just kidding) This storm was something that the area was unprepared for and not use to seeing. It did show the weakness of their power source and grid. I suspect there may be some changes to improve reliability but I could be wrong about that. Hopefully this type of event won’t repeat itself for another hundred years.

I read this morning where most of the motors and electricity making equipment (whatever that is) in the Texas grid is not weather proofed for this kind of weather. It would cost upwards of 100 million dollars to insulate everything, for an event that only happens every 10-15 years.
I guess if it continues to occur they'll look harder at weather proofing.

I know when i was in heavy equipment a D-9 dozer is useless if it freezes to the ground under it.
We would saturate the ground with diesel and park on it, or park on plywood and pour diesel on it. The grouzer blades would punch thru but the plates wouldn't freeze to the ground.
Also parked wheeled equipment with front tires at hard right turn and spaced far apart, cause you couldn't turn the wheel the first 20 minutes and drove in a big circle until things thawed.
Nothing had heat...i don't miss those days.

I recall a southern Comedian say that Chicago has 2 seasons... winter and the Fourth of July.

My power went off around 9 a.m. Monday morning and didn't come back on until 6 p.m. Wednesday evening. 57 hours with no electricity.
Thank God I have a Wood Burning Fireplace! and plenty of firewood!
Fortunately, my water never shut off, and allowed me to drip faucets and flush toilets.
House got down to around 38* Tuesday night when the low outside was around 1*.
So far, no frozen pipes in the house, but outdoor faucets, even though protected with covers remain an unknown...
I know lots of folks weren't so lucky.

Take care,
SFH

Forgot to add: I live NE of Dallas by Lake Lavon.

Diesel equipment will not run unless an additive was put into it

Diesel turns to slouch..

I laid in a lot of firewood this year thank goodness.

From what I hear, I have a lot of trees sown where my cows are, cannot get there though.

I feel your pain Eterry! Working in the winter is a challenge with heavy equipment. I don’t miss it either (retired OE Local 18) fond memories!

I feel your pain Eterry! Working in the winter is a challenge with heavy equipment. I don’t miss it either (retired OE Local 18) fond memories!

All the equipment was open cab, except 2 motor graders which us hands couldn't operate. The only heat was when you turned into the wind. Or climb on the hood and hug the exhaust pipe waiting for the scrapers to drop another lift.

One coworker brought a metal 5 gallon bucket and sack of match light charcoal. He was warm but looked like Al Jolson when he climbed down at 530.

The smell of diesel smoke brings back memories.

Finished my career in a wheel loader, it had heat and AC. These young guys are spoiled now days! Plexiglas behind the seat and ROP’s held some heat. Also canvas like a heat houser on a tractor helped. Most days it’s either to much heat or not enough! LOL

This storm and the freeze (now thawing) has been no laughing matter. It was a truly cruel event. I have been feeding birds for the duration. Though I am prepared for most eventualities, this global warming stuff sucks... Now will come the finger-pointing.

I'm thinking, as bad as it is/was, it could have been worse when the power went off.
At least most of you could save the stuff that was in your freezer or refrigerator by taking it outside.

When the power in the Arizona desert areas hits it is usually in the midst of summer. The summer monsoon's bring a lot of wind and lightning that knocks out the power stations and transmission lines.
With the air temperature inside a house at 100° and outside the house at 110° or hotter, there's not much you can do to keep the frozen stuff frozen.

This storm and the freeze (now thawing) has been no laughing matter. It was a truly cruel event. I have been feeding birds for the duration. Though I am prepared for most eventualities, this global warming stuff sucks... Now will come the finger-pointing.
Good for you.
I put a bucket lid out and every morning put 2# of mixed bird seed out. It's usually gone by noon.
This morning I had yellow breasted meadow larks, grackles, gambrels, brown wrens, a pair of cardinals, doves and sparrows - dozens of them.
A 2 gallon shallow pan with water as the water in the bird fountain is frozen every morning.
The storm was bad - the worst ever seen in Texas - every county had hard freezing temperatures for a week, a condition that has never before been seen here. There is no way this could have been predicted.
The people are at fault for not having some level of preparedness. The investment is small for an indoor rated propane heater, a few bottles of propane, a couple of cases of drinking water and a few days worth of long shelf life food items. A couple of dozen candles for light is cheap. We have a propane bottle mounted camp one burner stove that we can prepare food on, cost is minimal. Canned goods last for years, there is very little excuse for having zero bad weather contingency supplies. I'll bet a lot of the "city folks" are better prepared for the next one.
I am not being hard hearted about it. I did share our water with one house near us. Most of the others in our area were ready.
My wife and I watched an batch of our old DVD's (TV and player powered by our inverter) when the power was off.

If last year's festivities alone weren't a huge clue-by-four to the head on the importance being prepared, it ain't gonna happen.

Griz,

You mentioned candles;
In memory of Uncle Vic, I share this;

"When I was young, we had candles.....and when it was Really Cold, ....we used to light them!"
It is amazing how much heat a 3 wick jar candle will actually generate.
The next time I light one up - I'll think warm thoughts about Uncle Vic, I think I would have liked him...

Griz,

I could only tell you some of his other sayings in a PM! LOl.
One I Can share though;
When the family all sitting around the table at say Christmas,
He'd. look up and down at those sitting opposite, and say, " I know one thing for sure, You over there have a lot better view than us over here!"

I'm thinking, as bad as it is/was, it could have been worse when the power went off.
At least most of you could save the stuff that was in your freezer or refrigerator by taking it outside.

When the power in the Arizona desert areas hits it is usually in the midst of summer. The summer monsoon's bring a lot of wind and lightning that knocks out the power stations and transmission lines.
With the air temperature inside a house at 100° and outside the house at 110° or hotter, there's not much you can do to keep the frozen stuff frozen.

What made it worse was the stupid questions that people asked.

The electricity went out in my house, what do I do with the food in the freezer? If the freezer is in garage, open it up. If the freezer is in the house leave it closed or put the food in the back yard.

Is the electric company sending sub-standard electricity to my house? Each time I open or close a light switch I get shocked.

It's called static electricity, quit walking on the carpet in your athletic shoes.

Latest posts

Back