• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Texas - Denton, Krum, Decatur, Sanger area

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griz44Mag

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I have found no active black powder shooting groups in this area. The group in the Dallas area gathers more than 60 miles from where I am, just a very long haul for small gatherings.
I have spoken with the range where I normally shoot (Fossil Pointe) and they are very interested in assisting us in setting up for a black powder group. One of the RSO there mentioned that there was an area on the backside of the ranch that we might potentially set up a dedicated area for us to use. I have enough steel to set up lines at 4 distances with multiple targets. I am thinking 25-50-75 and 100. I also have a fun match scenario that keeps everyone active and makes for a really fun competitive afternoon of shooting. If we can get 10 or 12 folks interested I think this is worth pursuing for a local venue. Any takers?

We're way too far south of you... Still, kindred souls? I'm sure our membership might be able to help out one way or another... And you just might know some of us from some of the State level matches and shoots and so on?

http://www.amlgc.com/

Last edited:
I'm sorry I told wrong information. Its Ranger Springs Skinner. I think that this info is correct.

https://www.buckskinning.org/groups_ranger_springs.htm

Heres another link with information
https://www.crazycrow.com/site/event/ranger-springs-skinners-spring-rendezzous/

Thank you for the information.
I am a lot more interested in finding a group to shoot with on a regular basis.
This bunch seems pretty snobbish, don't show up unless you are dressed for the role playing stuff.
They seem to be more of a fantasy role playing group than a shooting club, which I have no issue with, just not in my interest group at this time.

Well I've been to an event with these folks, and you might want to visit with them before calling them names. They are a really good group of people. They want you to dress period for the rendezvous. I'm pretty sure you wont need period attire for the monthly shoots. Most every muzzleloading club in the country are "role playing groups". If that is a problem you might want to pick a different hobby. That's why it's called "reenacting".

Sorry you took my post the way you did. Certainly was not meant to be construed as calling anyone names, because I did not.
The website material states that if you want to visit, then visit before 10Am and leave, you can't shoot or stay unless you want to play dress up.
I did state up front that I am looking for a local group to shoot with. And I do not agree that "most" groups are role players as I have shot with different groups in different places that gathered for the stated purpose - shooting.
Before I moved to Denton County we had such a group, and we would meet to shoot.
We had a couple of competitive scenarios and it was a lot of fun. NONE of us were into re-enacting, and my original question posed was about a shooting group, not a re-enactors group. Your misguided statement about my choice of hobbies was not just off topic, it was not very observant either.

Last edited:
Sorry you took my post the way you did. Certainly was not meant to be construed as calling anyone names, because I did not.
The website material states that if you want to visit, then visit before 10Am and leave, you can't shoot or stay unless you want to play dress up.
I did state up front that I am looking for a local group to shoot with. And I do not agree that "most" groups are role players as I have shot with different groups in different places that gathered for the stated purpose - shooting.
Before I moved to Denton County we had such a group, and we would meet to shoot.
We had a couple of competitive scenarios and it was a lot of fun. NONE of us were into re-enacting, and my original question posed was about a shooting group, not a re-enactors group. Your misguided statement about my choice of hobbies was not just off topic, it was not very observant either.

You might do a search for Red River Renegades, they have regular shoots. It might be further than you wish to drive. From what I hear they are a good group to shoot with. I know several folks who shoot there.

You might do a search for Red River Renegades, they have regular shoots. It might be further than you wish to drive. From what I hear they are a good group to shoot with. I know several folks who shoot there.
Thanks, I had not heard of them.
I'll do some digging.
I have met a few shooters at Fossil Pointe, I am going to pursue that avenue and get a group started there. The range management was very receptive of the idea of a local group meeting there and even offered to dedicate an area on the ranch away from the other venues for us. The ranch is a couple of thousand acres and a beautiful place to be. Just need to get enough local interest and enough warm bodies to make it worth the work effort to set up another range.

Hey Tx-Griz, what possessed you to move from Manor up to the cold north....snicker, snicker. Sorry to hear your no longer down here and a contact at the ARC, kind of enjoyed the couple times we met and shot together out there.

Hey Tx-Griz, what possessed you to move from Manor up to the cold north....snicker, snicker. Sorry to hear your no longer down here and a contact at the ARC, kind of enjoyed the couple times we met and shot together out there.
I immensely enjoyed those days as well David.
I finally hit the wall and retired. My daughter, both my sons and all grandkids moved North for her work, huge promotion.
That left the wife and me all by our lonesome.
Since that put all of my kids and all of my grand kids in Denton County, we decided that if we were going to spend any time with them, we had best get a lot closer.
So I retired and we moved. I do miss the club there, knew a lot of really great folks and the beautiful range.
I am also enjoying being closer to my family.

I have found no active black powder shooting groups in this area. The group in the Dallas area gathers more than 60 miles from where I am, just a very long haul for small gatherings.
I have spoken with the range where I normally shoot (Fossil Pointe) and they are very interested in assisting us in setting up for a black powder group. One of the RSO there mentioned that there was an area on the backside of the ranch that we might potentially set up a dedicated area for us to use. I have enough steel to set up lines at 4 distances with multiple targets. I am thinking 25-50-75 and 100. I also have a fun match scenario that keeps everyone active and makes for a really fun competitive afternoon of shooting. If we can get 10 or 12 folks interested I think this is worth pursuing for a local venue. Any takers?
I go to Quail Creek just north of the racetrack from time to time I'd be happy to meet you there if you like for some informal shooting.

My son had some major issues with safety at Quail Creek, which is also the place that the 50 cal BMG was launched that hit the lady in the RV 5 miles away. I have also heard more than a few comments made about the RO's at that very busy range being SS types.
I don't need that - I like to enjoy my time shooting. My son also told me that after 2 hours his party was asked to leave - they apparently have a policy of kicking folks out to make room for more revenue. I hope your experience with them has been a lot more positive than my son's time there. Just a little farther North there is the Fossil Pointe shooting grounds. I like going there and have built a great friendship with several of the folks that run it. If you would care to come a little farther North I would like to meet up and do some shooting.

HI there Griz, I am well aware of the incident you speak of. Almost within 48 hours of the press releasing the info about the 50 cal incident a fellow that lived in Justin came forward to admit he was the offender. I don't believe he was charged because his property was indeed in an unincorporated area. I am usually not a fan in general of public ranges but after a fight w/ cancer through 2017-2018 they are a necessity since I let my membership to the Haltom City Rifle and Pistol Club lapse. I have however been shooting at public ranges off and on since about 1991-92 and yes I've had my share of close calls (mostly because of careless or ignorant shooters) than anything the range might have done. I have never experienced any of the range officers do what you describe above at Quail Creek that said I'm not saying it didn't happen. I live 20 min from that range so I find it highly convenient with easy access. I have been to Fossil Pointe quite recently and needless to say it did not give me a warm and fuzzy experience. I found their RO's overly aggressive and they were not handling the influx of shooters they had that particular afternoon very well at all. I am also highly opposed to the FMJ ammo bans and before you react I am quite aware of Quail Creek's ban which has been in place since 94'. Having been around the insurance business and having one of my closest friends an attorney it is a complete farce that a range would ban FMJ rifle ammo because of "legal concerns or liability" they simply want to sell $30 dollar per box and now $40 dollar per box ammo. It shocked me Fossil Pointe had this requirement since they are a rural range. There is a range in Santo that is West of Weatherford that does not have this requirement and it is why I go there to shoot my MSR's. I have been discussing with my wife recently rejoining Haltom City or perhaps rejoining The Parker County Sportsmans club because I am spending $60-80 per month on range fees which I find not only wasteful but ridiculous. I was a member of the Parker County club for a little over 10 years but transitioned to the Haltom City club because of the increasing difficulty of getting up and down highway 199 and the 1 hour plus drive time each way. The Haltom City range is only 20 min away but they now have a $300 orientation fee plus the yearly membership cost of $200 that's a chunk of money up front for sure. I would have already rejoined were it not for their insistance that every member be an NRA member. This is a problem for me since I have many personal issues currently with that organizatiom. So I am back to contemplating rejoining Parker County...I live in N. Ft. Worth near Basswood and 35 and have close access to 287 and have been exploring the option of going North West on 287 then coming back down South on 199 to Poolville which is where the Parker County club is.

Last edited:
I have been to Fossil Pointe quite recently and needless to say it did not give me a warm and fuzzy experience. I found their RO's overly aggressive and they were not handling the influx of shooters they had that particular afternoon very well at all. I am also highly opposed to the FMJ ammo bans
Wow, I have made many trips out to Fossil Pointe and have become good friends with Sam, the guy who runs the pistol range - rifle range -repair part of the operation. I have even helped him work on a problem pistol in the repair shop. I shoot his Commie rifles and he shoots my smoke poles. I have never seen him or any of the other staff I have met be rude, out of sorts or discourteous to anyone. My experience may be markedly different than yours, as I only go shoot there on a weekday. Even the couple of weeks leading up to hunting season when it's busy Sam and company have been great, helping customers bore sight new scope mounts and instructing new shooters on how to be safe and operate a newly purchased gun.
When you see the holes punched in the steel risers and target frame holders and other equipment by idiots that can't shoot - you understand the restriction. They do a lot of damage to a ranges equipment.
I also enjoy going into the PIT. It's a three sided tactical bay with dozens of steel and paper targets everywhere, hanging, swinging and a couple of Texas Stars (or 5 armed bandit to non Texans. That's a really fun place except I run through hundreds rounds way too fast.
This is David, one of members of the family that owns the range and ranch, shooting my Hakenbusche hand cannon (Black powder on the bench, and a lit punk for ignition).
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PFRwEgdPtDpMoPbQ8

Last edited:
Wow, I have made many trips out to Fossil Pointe and have become good friends with Sam, the guy who runs the pistol range - rifle range -repair part of the operation. I have even helped him work on a problem pistol in the repair shop. I shoot his Commie rifles and he shoots my smoke poles. I have never seen him or any of the other staff I have met be rude, out of sorts or discourteous to anyone. My experience may be markedly different than yours, as I only go shoot there on a weekday. Even the couple of weeks leading up to hunting season when it's busy Sam and company have been great, helping customers bore sight new scope mounts and instructing new shooters on how to be safe and operate a newly purchased gun.
When you see the holes punched in the steel risers and target frame holders and other equipment by idiots that can't shoot - you understand the restriction. They do a lot of damage to a ranges equipment.
I also enjoy going into the PIT. It's a three sided tactical bay with dozens of steel and paper targets everywhere, hanging, swinging and a couple of Texas Stars (or 5 armed bandit to non Texans. That's a really fun place except I run through hundreds rounds way too fast.
This is David, one of members of the family that owns the range and ranch, shooting my Hakenbusche hand cannon (Black powder on the bench, and a lit punk for ignition).
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PFRwEgdPtDpMoPbQ8
Perhaps I was there on an off day? There were easily 25-30 people waiting for lanes to open to shoot and the RO's were not customer friendly to say the least.
I'm glad you enjoy the place it's about 35 mi. from where I live so it's not crazy far.

Latest posts

Back