Texas 1839

Discussion in 'Share Your Persona' started by metalbender, Apr 23, 2005.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Apr 23, 2005 #1

metalbender

metalbender

metalbender

36 Cal.

Like many of us here, I love this sport, life, how ever you view it. I started out wanting to be a longhunter, I have never had much interest in the mountian men except admiration. But, then I moved to Texas and I found a new intrest. I am or will be as time progresses one of the filibusters from the states that came to Texas for the free land. A land of milk and plenty we were told. It is true, it is a wild untamed land. I came down the trail from Ohio river valley. I had spent time indentured as a blacksmith and a passible smith I am. However, a bit of wanderlust seems to reside in me and rather than go west after Lewis and Clark, I turned south to Norte Mexico...Tejas...I arrived to late for the battle of the Alamo, perhaps this is a good thing I could have been one of those good men trapped and left to die! But I did join up. 1st Texas Regiment. Ran from the Mexicans for months. Personally unlike many of my fellow Texans I consider Sam Houston not a military genius, but a lucky coward! After San Jacinto, I thought perhaps I could settle down maybe smith again. But, the Mexicans kept raiding across the border, the indians give us no peace in this young nation. So, I went back to the military. I am chief of scouts for the Frontier Regiement now. Unlike 3 years ago, we actually have a uniform! But, more often than not I am in my homespuns out on the plains looking for trouble.

2. Apr 23, 2005 #2

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Claude Mathis

Cannon MLF Supporter

Great story! :thumbsup: