• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

? Testing the SkyChief load....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skychief load with 60 grains 2F, 1 1/4 oz #5 shot
42” jug choked barrel
25yards

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 131
Hey Spence, I think I recognize that target.

Isn't it the one which you counted the shot strikes on, in the wee hours of the morning awhile back?

Good to see you here!🙋‍♂️

Best regards, Skychief.

Hello Chief, i'm wondering in your testing have you noticed a difference between ffg and fffg? That's the 2 powders i have on hand.
I see lots of people saying their groups tightened using 1fg, but do you reccomend a specific grain of powder?
Thanks.
Et

Hello Et. I settled on 2f but used 3f for awhile. I stuck with 2f mainly because it wouldn't dribble out of my enlarged touchhole while hunting.

That said, the patterns I've shot using 3f were, if anything, tighter than those made with 2f. From many reports of others, that flies in the face of logic and many get better patterns using coarser grained powder. I believe they do, but, that's not been my experience. At the end of the day though, patterns were similar enough to feel confident with either powder.

You didn't ask, but, I have experimented a little with 1f. Didn't care for the results to monkey with it much. Didn't have the "snap" to inspire confidence in the woods. That's just my opinion and I know others' mileage varies.

Good luck!!!

Best regards, Skychief.

Want to add that when patterning for turkey loads, I always scrubbed the bore good between test shots, as turkey hunting is a "one shot and done" deal (at least it should be).

Best regards, Skychief.

Normally I use 3f powder in the muzzle loading shotguns. Some one gave me a pound of re-enactor powder once and it worked well in the 12 ga.

Hmmm. I've shot several hundred birds and clays over the past several decades and have found nothing performs better in any 12 gauge than
82 1/2 grains of 2FG, 4 pierced overshot wads,1 1/4 ounces of #6 shot, and 1 pierced overshot wad. I've taken tough pheasants out to 40 yards with a full jug choked flintlock, out to 30 yards with a modified and regularly at 25 yards with cylinder bored guns. I've used this load in everything from original 18th century fowlers to modern reproductions of them. The load works as well in single or double barrel guns, though when shooting double barrel guns, I top off with 2 overshot cards on the left barrel to prevent discharge creep. Naturally, my experience is confined to wing shooting , but I suppose it would work as effectively on any type of ground shooting. I get nearly as good results teaching children to shoot with a 20 gauge, using 55 1/2 grains of 2FG and 7/8th ounces of number 6. I build the column using the same pierced 4 overshot wads on top of the powder, and a single overshot wad on top of the shot.

Hmmm. I've shot several hundred birds and clays over the past several decades and have found nothing performs better in any 12 gauge than
82 1/2 grains of 2FG, 4 pierced overshot wads,1 1/4 ounces of #6 shot, and 1 pierced overshot wad. I've taken tough pheasants out to 40 yards with a full jug choked flintlock, out to 30 yards with a modified and regularly at 25 yards with cylinder bored guns. I've used this load in everything from original 18th century fowlers to modern reproductions of them. The load works as well in single or double barrel guns, though when shooting double barrel guns, I top off with 2 overshot cards on the left barrel to prevent discharge creep. Naturally, my experience is confined to wing shooting , but I suppose it would work as effectively on any type of ground shooting. I get nearly as good results teaching children to shoot with a 20 gauge, using 55 1/2 grains of 2FG and 7/8th ounces of number 6. I build the column using the same pierced 4 overshot wads on top of the powder, and a single overshot wad on top of the shot.
Really? You've personally tested this load in every 12 gauge muzzleloader out there. Must be testing for the manufacturers before shipping to the customer, amazing they don't publish your exalted load data with the packaging.
I guess we should all shut up and follow your lead as "nothing performs better in any...." than your load.

Or did you mean that this works best for you in your personal guns and well enough to not need to try anything else?

It sounds like a great load in your jug choked guns. The gun Skychief started his load with is not jug choked, Britsmoothie's guns are not jug choked, mine are not jug choked. Drastically improved patterns in cylinder bore guns would be the goal. The fact that it has improved patterns in some peoples jug choked guns is a bonus.

Can't say I'm too impressed with the Skychief load. Here's all you fellers saying it never fails, you always get turkeys! So I loaded it up in my Brown Bess and hit the woods at oh-dark-thirty. Spent the whole morning, and never even saw a turkey! "Never fails," indeed! Well, there's always Monday...
🤣

I'm not surprised at all.
I said way before you that for wing shooting the Skychief special loading may not be of MUCH benefit. Why?
Because there is plenty room for all manner of errors with a moving target.

For folks that hunt all but stationary targets, that's different. That is where the Skychief special loading can benefit a cylinder bored gun.

I am happy for folks who's world is black and white. Mine is full of various shades of greys. It must be so comfortable. 😁

Can't say I'm too impressed with the Skychief load. Here's all you fellers saying it never fails, you always get turkeys! So I loaded it up in my Brown Bess and hit the woods at oh-dark-thirty. Spent the whole morning, and never even saw a turkey! "Never fails," indeed! Well, there's always Monday...
🤣
Ok, that was funny! I'll have to keep that in mind in a few weeks when turkey comes in season in my neck of the woods.

🤣
Try closer to Washington D.C. there are tons of turkeys there. But most of them I'd rather shoo away than call in.

Latest posts

Back