• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

? Testing the SkyChief load....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
If you are one of those who has tested the SkyChief load, but,,,, changed something, you have not "tested" the SkyChief load.

I've been getting a few short sessions in at the patterning board lately. (Short mostly because I hate this process) 1st thing I learned, was from results at the board and rereading SkyChief's load details. I was using two thin overshot cards over powder, then a lubed felt wad, then the shot load. I saw improved results with the lube soaked cushion wad loaded last, but not what others were seeing. Next session I switched to the thicker over powder wad, or nitro card (whatever you want to call it) with no lubed wad anywhere between powder and shot, and saw immediate improvement in the pattern. Combined with an immediate increase in the difficulty of shoving this stuff down the barrel.

Then, I screwed up. One of the things I've noticed in past posts about this from others is people missing that there is an overshot card between the shot and the heavily lubed cushion wad that is on top. I messed up and put my cushion wad in then realized my mistake, too late. The pattern lost its density at the point of aim, however it was a much more even pattern than I've had in the past, just more open than I'd like for turkey hunting.

Changing things with this nonconventional load will change the results. If one uses lubed felt instead of the hard fiber cushion wad soaked in lube on top, or thin cards over powder, or a lubed wad under the shot, results will probably not be as good as what has been reported by others,,,, and,,,,,, you really have not "tested the Skychief load."

I'm a little confused. For the sake of clarity could you tell us the order of the wads and shot that you load in the barrel?

After you pour the powder down the barrel what to you load next? Then after that and so forth. It helps me to understand what the sequence is with the loading process.

For example: After the powder, I push a thick card wad down the barrel, then a lube soaked felt wad, then the shot and finally another thick card wad.

I tried the Sky Chief load but could not tell the difference on the clay birds. I'll have to find the time to get on patterning board.

My normal load is. Powder, 2 thin "overshot" cards 1 or 2 lubed felt wads, shot load (either in a paper shot cup/cartridge or not), then a thin overshot card.

For the Skychief load the order is; powder, thick over powder wad (sometimes referred to as a nitro card), then the shot load, thin overshot card, then a thick fiber "cushion" wad that has been thoroughly soaked in lube (I believe straight olive oil was the original substance Skychief listed). The fiber cushion wad is soaked until it won't absorb anymore oil.

While it is the fiber cushion wad being completely saturated in oil/lube, and its placement over the shot rather than behind it that everyone pays attention to, as it would be the most unusual part of this, each component makes a difference. Just adding the saturated wad to the top of one's usual loading might not give the improvement in pattern that others have had. Using lubed felt wads in place of the lubed fiber wad, does not produce the improvements noted by Skychief and early testers of this load (weight being the difference I think, the felt even soaked in lube is just too lightweight). Not having the thin overshot card between shot and lubed fiber wad does not produce the pattern density of the load that does have it.

I plan to do a photo series of the components and loading process next time I go to the patterning board. This will not be soon. Maybe some day next week weather and work schedule depending.

I only know what I have read about the sky chief load and will try it someday. As far as how it works in my old restricted thinking, It brings back memories of a local shooting match where 2 good old boys started tearing up the targets. A close look at the targets showed traces of some kind of oil. They were found to be using a needle and injecting some type of oil into the shot helping them cling together . So I guess that idea has been around for a long time.

Jack

When I first saw the first thread on this load and how well it worked I was interested. For me a cylinder bore was perfect for loading as a muzzleloader with no choke. Shooting left a lot to be desired after shooting choked modern guns all my life. I made shot cups out of paper, some worked, some did not. Jug choked some barrels, helped a lot. Jug choke wasn't practical in some old thin barrel doubles. Wasn't wild about soaking wad in olive oil and then pushing it down a barrel. I'm a clumsy old fart that gets the oil all over me, the gun and everything else. I carry a rag made from a thick towel to wipe everything off now. First shot at 25 yards sold me on it, period. I really thought it was just a lucky pattern. Shot several times with same results. Then trying without the soaked wad it went back to the cylinder bore patterns. So I started looking for a jar with a good lid to keep wads and oil in. I am sold on the load, it works if loaded as per instructions. Totally agree with what was first said about if anything changed it ain't his load. Sort of like swapping salt for sugar when making candy and then saying it is a bad recipe, DUH.

Wasn't wild about soaking wad in olive oil and then pushing it down a barrel. I'm a clumsy old fart that gets the oil all over me, the gun and everything else. I carry a rag made from a thick towel to wipe everything off now.
It's not necessary to carry sloppy wet wads in the field. It's not the oil getting on the shot which makes it work, it's the weight of the soaked wad. I use Circle Fly paper cushion wads, soak them until saturated, then drain them and carry them in an Altoids tin, they work fine. I've added my own modification to the recipe, a thin, overshot card over the shot before the lubed cushion wad goes in. That would block any oil squeezed out of the cushion wad from getting to the shot. I tested that well, the load still works just fine with it.

Here's one test, 20 gauge cylinder bore, 60 gr. 2F, a 1/8" hard card, 1 oz. #5 shot, thin OS card, soaked cushion wad, target at 50 yards, cardboard 36" x 32", the white aiming point was half a sheet of typing paper, 8.5" x 5.5".
Skychief50A.JPG

Spence

Sir, I'm sure I probably go to excess on the oil, but for the pattern it is worth it to me. My cylinder bore patterns at 20 yards were about like yours at 50. Now I get 40 yard patterns that look like modern choked guns using shotgun shells. The results are more than worth the mess. I dont shoot as much now as when I was younger with the exception of going to skeet club. That is with modern guns at a faster rate of fire. At home I can shoot clays at a slower pace. Nobody waiting on me but me and shooting singles. With his loads it is easier to break clays at greater distance reliably. My 28 muzzleloader is as reliable as my 28 modern shotgun if i do my part at same distance. His load has been a blessing to this old guy.

It's not necessary to carry sloppy wet wads in the field. It's not the oil getting on the shot which makes it work, it's the weight of the soaked wad. I use Circle Fly paper cushion wads, soak them until saturated, then drain them and carry them in an Altoids tin, they work fine. I've added my own modification to the recipe, a thin, overshot card over the shot before the lubed cushion wad goes in. That would block any oil squeezed out of the cushion wad from getting to the shot. I tested that well, the load still works just fine with it.

Here's one test, 20 gauge cylinder bore, 60 gr. 2F, a 1/8" hard card, 1 oz. #5 shot, thin OS card, soaked cushion wad, target at 50 yards, cardboard 36" x 32", the white aiming point was half a sheet of typing paper, 8.5" x 5.5".
View attachment 27591

Spence
WoW! A 20 ga at 50 yards! A dove would have hell flying through that! When I get my 60 caliber (21ga ?) shotgun built, I must try that! Thank you, Spence.

I haven't tried the skychief load, but i haven't been afield much lately.

Has anyone had issue with the oil effecting the powder charge, like say after loading early in the morning, carrying most of the day, then getting a shot late in the day?

Just thinking out loud...
It sounds like it's a lot faster abs cheaper than getting a jug choke.

Et

I haven't tried the skychief load, but i haven't been afield much lately.

Has anyone had issue with the oil effecting the powder charge, like say after loading early in the morning, carrying most of the day, then getting a shot late in the day?

Just thinking out loud...
It sounds like it's a lot faster abs cheaper than getting a jug choke.

Et
Never.

Back