Quantcast

Testing the flintlock?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
guy's thank you for the reply to my queries. now I know.

Larry Pletcher

50 Cal.
Reaction score
The link below has a bunch of slow motion videos of flintlocks firing using a camera set at 5000 frames per second. Near the bottom are a couple of large Siler locks firing upside down. It's likely that the lock is faster in this position. I did a batch of these in 2007 and 2009 - these were done in 2009.

Regards,
Pletch

griffiga

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
hope this is not off subject, but can a flint lock fire upside down? and under water? rely curious about it.
Flintlocks will (should) fire upside down. That's how you can tell if you have a good, fast lock. My Charleville and Brown Bess muskets as well as my rifle all will. Underwater? I doubt it. Once powder gets wet or even damp, it's toast.

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
My rifle never fails to fire when I hold it upside down and pull the trigger. It will fire occasionally when tested with an empty pan.

Griz44Mag

62 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
SUPER KOOL!
Thank you for posting this. Fascinating how little it can take to set off a charge - and how some, especially the Silers, can generate such such a massive cloud of sparks.
My rifle never fails to fire when I hold it upside down and pull the trigger. It will fire occasionally when tested with an empty pan.
I keep hearing that and have tried it a few times. Never could get it go though....
I figured on the Bess it might because it has a large flash hole and sometimes I get a bit of powder in the pan when loading the bore.

SDSmlf

40 Cal.
Reaction score
They did make wheelocks that were said to fire underwater
What were your results with a wheellock under water? Obviously I’ve lead a sheltered life and missed where wheellocks fire underwater, could you please provide the source of this info? Thanks.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t think it was a regular practice😊
This is from ‘The Great Guns’ by Harold Peterson and Robert Elman
5B943181-ACE8-4AA7-A672-CA8CADE16381.jpeg

Spence10

Cannon
Reaction score
Flintlocks usually fire easily when they are held upside down. This has been proven thousands of times.
Many years ago an article in Muzzleloader magazine detailed tests done on flint locks by Peter Alexander. He tested locks off the gun. Each lock was primed, closed, finger put over the opening to the barrel, submerged in water for 1 full minute to test for proper fit of frizzen to pan, then fired upside down. Almost all fired every time.

Spence

SDSmlf

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Many years ago an article in Muzzleloader magazine detailed tests done on flint locks by Peter Alexander. He tested locks off the gun. Each lock was primed, closed, finger put over the opening to the barrel, submerged in water for 1 full minute to test for proper fit of frizzen to pan, then fired upside down. Almost all fired every time.

Spence
Maybe a good test for checking frizzen to pan fit, but with that pesky opening to the barrel and the touchhole, unlikely the pan powder, let alone the main charge would have been ignited if the lock were mounted on a gun. Particularly if held under water while attempting to fire.....

Carbon 6

Cannon
Reaction score
hope this is not off subject, but can a flint lock fire upside down? and under water? rely curious about it.
Yes, you can fire a flintlock upside down.

Under water ? NO.

In the rain ? YES.

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Carbon 6,thanks for the reply. now I know.

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
In rain? Absolutely, I've done it many times. Just gotta keep the lock dry which isn't all that difficult.