• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Testing Shot Loads in 'Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaman

40 Cal
Reaction score
I made it back down to the farm and opened up Turkey Camp for another year. I brought the Pedersoli Brown Bess with me to test shot loads.

The bottom line: 60 grains of 3F and 1 1/2 oz of #6 shot did the best of covering the center of the target with pellets. I used the Skychief method.

The details are here: Down to the Farm

Thanks all for your help in getting me this far.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was somewhat overdue for a nap, and I had a lot to get down before my pea brain forgot. Here's the important part:

I had originally found 4 general methods to try.

I could not find any useful information on the Candle Load. I had read about it years ago, but no one seems to be using it now. The Shot Cup Method seemed a bit unnecessary; I’m using plastic vials at the moment for shot and powder. Yes, it is not period correct, but I’m still getting over the effects of Chemo. It is much easier to work with shot at home at the bench, measuring it into the vials than trying to pour it in the field. The Corn Muffin Load works, but to get shot and muffin mix down the bore in the right way and get it all packed tightly proved harder than I expected. That left the Sky Chief Method. That was the method I concentrated on the most, with some variations.

I loaded up 80 grains of 3F, a Nitro Card, 2 Ounces of #6 shot, an overshot card and the oil-soaked wad. I primed and then aimed at the target, a section of newspaper pinned to an old real-estate sign at 30 yards. YOWZA! Look, I’m no punce when it comes to recoil. My normal 3-inch 2-ounce turkey load has about the same recoil as a .416 Rigby. This was well north of that. A 20 lb bird is not worth that kind of punishment. After a couple of those, I went down to 70 grains of 3F, then 60 grains. I eventually retreated to a 1 1/2 oz load of lead. This, surprisingly gave me a nice even spread of shot across the target with enough shot in the center that I could see myself taking a turkey.

• Along the way, I moved the target into 25 yards. This was a more realistic working range.
  • I tried an even mix of #4 and #6 shot together. This and straight #4 shot was a non-starter.
  • I tried a dry wad instead of an oil-soaked one. That did not work all that well
  • I also tried no wad at all. I hardly had any shot on the paper.
  • Along the way, I moved the target into 25 yards. This was a more realistic working range.

I did not try tow in my shot loads. My reason was that folks have reported that tow wads reduce the velocity of the shot. I mean to put the gobbler down. There was enough force in the load to send the wad THROUGH the cardboard backer twice when the target was at 30 yards.

After a couple dozen shots, I was ready to end my date with ‘Bess. I think part of the problem with the recoil is that the ‘Bess was meant to be fired from the standing position. I was firing from the bench on bags. The top of the stock was particularly punishing. The next time I take ‘Bess out, I will be firing from a normal turkey hunting position, sitting against a tree or something. That will improve things immensely.

Two other things finally clicked with me on this trip:

• I was having trouble getting a patch down the barrel with a normal jag. I had brought tow down and decided to see how it would work, I had scene this method on a Duelist1954 Youtube. Wow! Tow with a bit of homemade bore butter (beeswax and lard) works great on the end of the tow worm. I could swab the bore between shots and did not have any problem with crud building up.
  • I had struggled with cleaning ‘Bess after a range session. This time, I had a bottle of soap (Murphy’s Oil Soap and Simple Green) that I squirted down the barrel. Within a few patches, it was clean. Again, I used tow for scrubbing and finished with dry patches.

I remembered the thread on wasting powder. I have to say that at 60 grains, I was still doing damage. At 80 grains, I was doing damage at both ends.

I've been turkey hunting for over 40 seasons. How does the 'Bess fit in? It's better than a 20 GA 2 3/4 Lead load. I'd put it on par with my 16 Gauge Winchester Model 12 Full-Choke for throwing a pattern. It's workable, but not ideal. The felt recoil at 80 grains topped even at 3 1/2 " 12 Gauge. At 60 grains, it's much more manageable.

Good info.

I like the shot cup method for holding the shot together. The problem is if the cup doesn't release.
I saw a method where you make slits in the paper to grab the air and peel away the cup, but I haven't tried it yet.

I plan on fooling with it a lot more with my new Indian Trade gun.

25 yards is about the max for me and my bess when shooting shot. My struggle is repeating my results. I'll shoot a decent pattern at 25 yards using 80 grains of 2F and 1.5 oz of #6 (nitro card over powder, shot, then over shot card). The next pattern using the same recipe will be blown out. I plan on taking my bess turkey hunting this year.

For me, nothing beat the SkyChief method. I have to say, the idea that at 30 yards I drove the wad through the cardboard target backer was impressive. I've done that with my regular Federal Loads in the 12 GA: buried the wad in the turkey's neck at close range. That puts them down for sure.

It was nice to read what the "skychief" method actually was. Gawd knows I've read it enough times, but this is the first time I've seen someone link it.
A little rearranging (moving the oiled felt wad to last in), and I'll have it.

25 yards is about the max for me and my bess when shooting shot. My struggle is repeating my results. I'll shoot a decent pattern at 25 yards using 80 grains of 2F and 1.5 oz of #6 (nitro card over powder, shot, then over shot card). The next pattern using the same recipe will be blown out. I plan on taking my bess turkey hunting this year.
To slow a powder in that large bore. 3f or 4f.
Worked every time.
1508701430488.jpg

Back