• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tested some more bare balls in the 58 kibler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballshooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I started with 85 grains and worked up to 145 grains. I stopped at 145 grains today. keep in mind this is my homemade black brew, equivalent grain size is about 2 1/2 F. Should I dare go higher?

I am only posting the best groups of today. All shots on the cardboard target was @ 65 yards. I won't bother you gents with all the targets on my work up. I will say as of now it looks like 145 grains is the preferred load in my kibler 58 smoothbore. Load was 145 grains / 50 grains of corn meal with a thin shot card on top followed by a .567 ball and another thin shot card on top of the ball. I tried it with and without corn meal. I will be using corn meal from now on! I also shot three at my steel gong @ 40 yards with the 145 grains of powder / 50 corn meal and two thin shot cards sandwiched between a .567 round ball.

Attachments

• 20230124_122158.jpg
    20230124_122158.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230124_131508.jpg
    20230124_131508.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230124_133507.jpg
    20230124_133507.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
Because I've never tried it, and I've always assumed that if the ball wasn't a tight fit it was gonna wander off to god only know where. Seems I was wrong. ---Now be kind----Rifled guns were introduced before the city I live and was born in was even settled.

But why? (Actually curious)
Why not lol...I like to try different things. It's a smoothbore, so I try things that I can't in a rifle. Plus it loads like butter. My PRB loads very easy too I am using a .562 ball and .008 patch. The real reason for bare balls for me is to use bigger balls. If you want to wrap your balls I get it I like mine to be free and roll. Hahahah

Did some bare-ball shooting today with my .58 smooth Colonial. Ball was a cast-last-night .578 ball from a Lee double .575 mold. Kinda surprised at how big they came out as I usually get balls smaller than nominal mold size from my scrounged lead roof boots. The lead last night was from 70 year old plumbing waste pipe joints I sourced from an old house remodel project. I have to wonder if it was not pure lead.

Anyway, they fit the bore fine and shot very well. I have not yet gotten a “correct” wad punch, and I forgot my dadgum range rod so did not shoot a lot. 80 grains of 2f Swiss grouped nicely (a little left, I also forgot my sight adjusting stuff) off the bench. 105 grains bruised my shoulder, cheek and ego and did not shoot any better than 80. I had planned on also trying 120 grains but deferred after the abuse 105 gave me. I have shot 120 grains of 2f Schuetzen in my .54 GPR without drama but this Swiss must be more energetic or the stock geometry of the Kibler Colonial less forgiving. I went looking for my 60 grain measure but it was at home (with my range rod and sight adjusting stuff). 80 grains off-hand was fine but I could still tell it was a stout. Oh, load was mostly just powder and naked ball as I forgot my corn meal as well although a few got some cardboard and .625 lubed Durafelt wad under the ball. I noticed no difference in the wadded loads but further testing is in order. Loading did become more difficult with nothing to clean the bore and no lube.

I shot my rifled .54 Colonial last week in a match with 60 grains of 2f Swiss so was more than a little surprised at how much more recoil 80 gave in the smooth .58. I think 60-70 is about right for paper. Save the heavy loads for Grizz, and Grizz is real sparse in these parts. As you can read above, I seem to have forgotten a lot this trip. Which is true but in fairness it was mostly a work day getting ready for a big Scout Troop shoot next weekend at the club, that is my excuse anyway.

I WILL be getting a smoothy. Just gotta decide on Colonoal, Woodsrunner or some trade gun. Thinking colonial will likley win out. Can't recall who but one of our senors here says he can get 4" group t 100 yd so I am thinjing I may be able to get 6" at 75 and thats just dandy for my style of hunting!

I WILL be getting a smoothy. Just gotta decide on Colonoal, Woodsrunner or some trade gun. Thinking colonial will likley win out. Can't recall who but one of our senors here says he can get 4" group t 100 yd so I am thinjing I may be able to get 6" at 75 and thats just dandy for my style of hunting!
My 65 yard test with bare balls was 4 1/5 × 5 I thought that was a decent group.

Back