• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Test of Triple 7

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb

54 Cal.
Reaction score
This photo (if I can make it work) goes with "Triple 7" under Percussion.
Test_of_Triple_7_edited.jpg

It worked! This is one test session of my .54 caliber Christian Hawken I built. See above location. These eight, five shot groups were fired with no wiping or cleaning between shots or groups, all chronographed. I am working on an improved rest for supporting the rifle during bench testing, will show that later. This to avoid the vertical spread.

Is there any significance to the targets being large and small rounds, triangle and triangle with line below it?

Other than to keep track of what target you are using for what load...

This was all with .530 Hornady roundballs. The various target shapes are attempts to find what I can sight on most consistently. A 3/4 inch wide bar about 4 inches long is simple and pretty good. Too much black can make seeing the holes difficult.

The various target shapes are attempts to find what I can sight on most consistently. A 3/4 inch wide bar about 4 inches long is simple and pretty good. Too much black can make seeing the holes difficult.

Thanks, I'll try that next time I'm out, unless your designs are patent pending... :winking: :haha:

Kind'a hard to argue the results of test targets 2 and 3, using the T7-2f... If it hadn't a been for that blown patch on target 2, I'd guess it would have been right in there. :applause: I've never used the "Triple 7", but from what I read, folks seem to like it... Good job! :)

That Triple 7 is some funny stuff. I have one rifle, a CVA .54 caliber Mountain Stalker that loves the stuff. With 85 grains of it and a patched roundball and wonderwad it will shoot very tight groups even at 100 yards.

My .54 caliber T/C Renegade on the other hand, if you try and shoot Triple 7 no matter what amounts I try, it will spray them all over the face of the target. You change back to Pyrodex RS and it will drill holes.

A .50 caliber Tradition's Hawkins I have shoots everything good, but if you load Pyrodex P in it at 70 grains, this rifle will shoot round balls with the best of them. If you put Triple 7 in it, the rifle groups just fall away.

I always wanted to get my hands on some FFFg Triple 7 and see if that would make a good group. Many people complain about the grain size. The only powder that I had a complaint about grain size with was Clean Shot. Looked like shooting gravel sometimes.

Nice shooting by the way. I think that second target is the keeper....

Back